Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do about Chuggers?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭LeeLooLee

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I was walking through Cork city once and a chugger for some charity (think it was Trocaire) came up to me. I just said "sorry I don't have time". He shouted back at me "neither do the dying children in Africa". Felt like punching him!

I've had similar manipulation tactics. It's just despicable. I'm normally super easygoing but have no problem humiliating people like this if they ask for it. I give up my time for free for several charities, whereas they're getting paid to guilt other people into donating money. I have no problem pointing this out to them.
    I'm not sure why people find this so difficult.....

Interpersonal skills 101
    If you want to interact with someone, first make eye contact.
    If you don't want to interact, avoid eye contact.
    Class Dismissed

Don't make eye contact with these people and most of them won't even attempt to speak to you in the first place.

People come up with some many bizarre, complex - albeit occasionally humorous - ways to respond to Chuggers but really it's as simple as avoiding eye contact.....or as someone else said, just ignore them.

Try it. It works.

No, it doesn't work. I never make eye contact with anyone, walk very quickly etc. and they do try to stop me about 50% of the time. Then when I say no, they continue to badger me and ask for an explanation as to why I won't stop. It's totally intrusive. The last time it happened, the chugger asked me why I wasn't smiling. I had just taken a call informing me that a family member had been killed in a car accident. They're obnoxious d1cks and should not be allowed to operate on the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I find a curt 'no thank you' does the job when confronted by gangs of chuggers or wackjobs.
    mzungu wrote: »
    A straight 'no thanks' always does the trick and then they are gone.
    They are gone temporarily, gone to the pub and telling their mates about all the easy cash they made and how the reaction from the public they are conning is not as bad as they expected. This only encourages more to take up this disgusting & intrusive form of begging.

You often hear people saying there is no reason to be rude. If you catch a dog crapping in your garden you do not calmly say "please go, good dog", there is very good reason to be rude and aggressive towards these scumbags.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Chuggers was great in the 80s but think his career really tailed away after Saturday Superstore...
    If only.
    I can never un-see that 2000 channel 5 gameshow.
    Keith Chegwin prancing around, wearing a hat.

Just a hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

For the religious nuts I just say cant stop I'm late for mass,
    For chuggers I just give a glare and say NO,
    What really bugs me most is the 1s setting a table up outside postoffices and hassle old people going in for pension (seen this alot lately)
    Dogs Trust chuggers I love :D just get friends to save old bedding then drop on their table, (they always setup same places)

I do give to charities but never to chuggers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Just say no thanks and keep walking, simple.

Also, don't listen to the pound shop Travis Bickles you get on these threads.

"I kicked one lad in the bollix, told him to **** off and took all his money and then went home and listened to my Damo Dempsey Cd's cos I'm such a hard chaw".

Most of them are liars and the ones telling the truth are worse creatures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Yeah I'm going to give my bank details to a complete stranger on the street.

However some must do or else they wouldnt be there. Incredible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

I eh .... I not speak the Engleesh very welll ..... works for me anyway .. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

road_high wrote: »
    Similar but those bag packers at supermarkets are as bad. And usually not even close to a charity, just some kids leisure activity or such like.

I was home over Xmas and between Dunnes, M&S and Tesco I saw 3 different bagpackers. Now, nothing against them, I've done it myself for my rugby team and school team but nowadays it must be slim pickings with a lot of transactions done on debit cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

"Je ne suis pas une pamplemousse"

If they cant speak French, they'll leave you alone.
    If they do speak French, they'll be confused long enough for you to make your escape.

For the ones who go door to door, a simple "I don't sign up to things on my doorstep" gets rid of them pretty quickly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I had a Concern girl step in front of me before on Grafton street, despite the fact that I didn't make eye contact and had headphones on. Then she sidestepped to match when I went to go around. Conversation went pretty much like this:

Me, removing headphones: "Yes?"

"Hi! Knew I'd get through! I'm just wondering if you've a minute to talk?"

"No, I need to hop on that luas or I'll be late for work!"

"It'll only take a sec!"

"Sorry but I really can't stop"

"Well if you think your time is more important than helping starving, dying kids go right ahead"

"...are you ****ing kidding me? You're being paid to stand here and drum up cash and you're using that line to try and guilt me? The amount of a direct debit I'd set probably wouldn't even cover the wage of someone like you for a shift."

"..."

That was probably the worst exchange I've had. I'm a scout leader/youth volunteer and I give up hundreds of hours every year to that, so to have an employee try and guilt random people on the street really bothered me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Supposedly it takes two years for the charities to receive any cash when members of the public sign up for a minimum monthly donation direct debit. After all the chuggers & the chief chugger AKA managing of the chugger company has to be paid first. :(

If you wish to give to any charity it should be paid directly, not to a third party agent such as a chugger! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I feel sorry for people who've stopped and have the look of trapped rats who are thinking if they can escape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭jiltloop

When the WWF guys approach me I just tell them "No, sorry I've no interest in wrestling".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Once upon a time, I was walking around Dublin city centre. Suddenly, this very nice blonde lady approaches me with the biggest smile. Beautiful piercing blue eyes, Canadian accent. "Hello, how are you?" she asked; "Where are you from?" came next, then "how long have you been here?".

And then, "Do you have a bank account?". Worst pickup strategy ever, I tell ya!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Excusez-moi, mais je ne parle pas l'anglais...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,003 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I had a Concern girl step in front of me before on Grafton street, despite the fact that I didn't make eye contact and had headphones on. Then she sidestepped to match when I went to go around. Conversation went pretty much like this:

Me, removing headphones: "Yes?"

"Hi! Knew I'd get through! I'm just wondering if you've a minute to talk?"

"

These are the ones... When they basically decide that.. 'no you will actually talk to me' by trying to block your path. As I said I keep going dead straight and if I make contact so be it only one or two unfortunates have failed to get out of my way as quickly as they got in my way.. and then to act all offended because I wasn't willing to be harassed on a public street going about my business. That guilt trip line is well out of order too... glad you told them to **** off it's all they deserve.

I have no issue with anyone coming up to speak to me asking for money if it's done in a courteous, non aggressive manner no matter if it is someone collecting for charity or a homeless person or whatever but when it comes to taking the piss, invading your personal space and throwing a guilt trip in as the cherry on the cake... just **** off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Strumms wrote: »
    I have no issue with anyone coming up to speak to me asking for money if it's done in a courteous, non aggressive manner no matter if it is someone collecting for charity or a homeless person or whatever

Absolutely not, I'm probably not going to reach into my pocket either way but I'll give them the most pleasant attitude I can if they don't give me reason not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

"I'm actually looking to help poor people too. Let me sign you up for a direct debit"

Whatever their excuse is happens to be yours too.

Advertisement