Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Large shed conversion

• 12-01-2016 6:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭

The family have a shed at the end of the garden, pretty big, 2 rooms. Would be unsure of square footage, probably about 4-500. There was an old shed that was added to and the larger area new room built up against the old garden wall that was there.

Recently I've been thinking about how much it would cost to convert it into a livable area, as it's pretty big and my room in the house is quite small. What would be the general costs that I would be looking at for such a venture? I could obviously clear it out myself but it would probably need new windows, there is some sockets and light fixtures and such already in there that could be sufficient.

What kind of (very rough obviously) price would I be looking at to get all the requisite work done? What would I be needing done at a basic level? Sorry for the vagueness of this and if it's too vague it can be closed.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Liam O wrote: »
    The family have a shed at the end of the garden, pretty big, 2 rooms. Would be unsure of square footage, probably about 4-500. There was an old shed that was added to and the larger area new room built up against the old garden wall that was there.

Recently I've been thinking about how much it would cost to convert it into a livable area, as it's pretty big and my room in the house is quite small. What would be the general costs that I would be looking at for such a venture? I could obviously clear it out myself but it would probably need new windows, there is some sockets and light fixtures and such already in there that could be sufficient.

What kind of (very rough obviously) price would I be looking at to get all the requisite work done? What would I be needing done at a basic level? Sorry for the vagueness of this and if it's too vague it can be closed.

1. Planning Application - Architect/Engineer/Technician or somebody you know that can prepare an application. Could be €1k to €3k depending on who you use or could be more to be honest.

Then the conversion costs, you would have to link it to the existing house in order for it to be classed as a granny flat and habitation allowed, otherwise, its just a shed an habitation would ne illegal.

Advertisement