Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weight training for fight sports

• 12-01-2016 6:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,958 ✭✭✭✭

Changing up my train quite a bit this year and I have gone back to boxing. Going to make it priority over weight training, which I was find hard to keep motivated keep doing.

I will probably do boxing 3-4 times a week, but I would also like to continue doing some sort of weight training on the side. I am aware thought that too much weight training (or bodybuilding style weight training), but that some exercises or programs can benefit your boxing training.

Does anyone have any recommendations for this? I am guessing some sort of strength training, conditioning and calisthenics.

Thanks of the help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,958 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

http://main.poliquingroup.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/931/Strength_Training_for_Krav_Maga.aspx

So far in my travels, this would be the sort of routine that would suit my schedule. So this might be the one to go with.

Tough crowd in here these days, hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I did have a quick look around but didn't find anything prescriptive, per se. Just outlines of what way you would train wrt strength and endurance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

You're probably more than strong enough and powerful enough for nothing to have a benfit to boxing until you become a better boxer...

I bet you out like 100% of the people in your boxing club. Bet a large proportion of those would kick the **** outta ya too.

I REALLY noticed the effect of that with BJJ.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 260 ✭✭Jimlh86

Explosive lifts with relatively light weight? Might be benificial as it should add to your punching power! Adding mass will obviously take from your boxing I.e speed,flexibility plus more muscle = needs more oxygen so theoretically you'll tire much quicker!! Also I found being bigger as on muscle mass meant a taller opponent to match weights, which can be problematic! I'm not an expert that's just my opinion btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hanley wrote: »
    You're probably more than strong enough and powerful enough for nothing to have a benfit to boxing until you become a better boxer...

I bet you out like 100% of the people in your boxing club. Bet a large proportion of those would kick the **** outta ya too.

I REALLY noticed the effect of that with BJJ.

Yeah, this pretty much.

How long has it been since you used to box, OP, and how long haD you done it before that?

We were never directed to the weight room - albeit this is for taekwondo but it was ITF so boxing skills were more important than WTF/Olympic - but we did a fair bit of bodyweight stuff. But after technique etc was worked on.

Prioritise the boxing and you'll have a better idea when the weight training will add anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Jimlh86 wrote: »
    Explosive lifts with relatively light weight? Might be benificial as it should add to your punching power!
    Or it might ingrain slower movement patterns. Replicating sports specific movements with weights is not a good idea imo.
    If you want to help improve punching power hit the heavy bag.

If strength is lacking then a typical 5x5 approach would be good imo. But it doesn't sound like it's lacking. Like Hanley said more boxing would prob early serve you best.
    If it's the case that you have gym time when there's no boxing. Then some sort of metcon/conditioning with general strength maintainence work.

Been about 4 years since I boxed last, so I was fairly rusty at the start.

Having said that, the advice was pretty spot on. Have gone a good few times in the last 2 weeks and felt better with each session, coordination, speed and power is all coming back. My fitness and stamina is really lacking so I have begun some road work for that and hill sprints.

I have done some lactic acid training as well given to me by a hockey friend here. And also a nasty enough circuit.

Been about 4 years since I boxed last, so I was fairly rusty at the start.

Having said that, the advice was pretty spot on. Have gone a good few times in the last 2 weeks and felt better with each session, coordination, speed and power is all coming back. My fitness and stamina is really lacking so I have begun some road work for that and hill sprints.

I have done some lactic acid training as well given to me by a hockey friend here. And also a nasty enough circuit.

So a small update on this.

Thinking of dropping weights in the traditional sense, no more mirror exercises and adding in more calisthenics and plyometrics etc. Using my cardio and sprints more also.

Again, thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement

Thinking of dropping weights in the traditional sense, no more mirror exercises and adding in more calisthenics and plyometrics etc. Using my cardio and sprints more also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gintonious wrote: »

What do you count as "mirror exercises"?

My weights consists of squats, snatch, press, pull-ups. And deadlift, clean, DB bench, row.

I do a bodyweight type day too; muscle-up (assisted), back levers, monkey bars, dips, hand stands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

keep the weights as part of your program, I do kickboxing and lifting. In my experience strength training focusing on the compound lifts helps keep me strong(er) obviously weight is an issue, I just don't eat enough to get bigger and up my cardio in the run up to a fight. If you are much bigger then what you intend to compete at then you'll have to cut down on volume. Really a lot depends on how much weight you plan on losing.

My training is;
    kickboxing 2-3 times a week
    weight training is a full body split including, squats, bench, deadlifts, (4 days a week)
    I add extra cardio and reduce weight training in the run up to a fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Danye

keep the weights as part of your program, I do kickboxing and lifting. In my experience strength training focusing on the compound lifts helps keep me strong(er) obviously weight is an issue, I just don't eat enough to get bigger and up my cardio in the run up to a fight. If you are much bigger then what you intend to compete at then you'll have to cut down on volume. Really a lot depends on how much weight you plan on losing.

My training is;
    kickboxing 2-3 times a week
    weight training is a full body split including, squats, bench, deadlifts, (4 days a week)
    I add extra cardio and reduce weight training in the run up to a fight

Out of curiosity, you compete as a kick boxer yet you strength train more than you train specifically for kick boxing? Any particular reason for this?

Danye wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, you compete as a kick boxer yet you strength train more than you train specifically for kick boxing? Any particular reason for this?

It just suits me to do short (1 hour max) gym sessions in the mornings. The kickboxing sessions are 1.5-2 hours.

While I do more weight sessions in total the actual time spent training weights is less.

Thats also my routine when I'm not preparing for a fight. When I've a fight my routine would be something like this.

kickboxing 3-5 times a week with lots of sparring
    jogging (5 miles) everyday
    weights (lower volume then usual) twice a week. with little to no weights in the last 2 weeks before.

I probably do more strength training than necessary due to the fact I enjoy it, but it defiantly helps my performance in the ring

What do you do in the weight sessions?

I focus on the big lifts, squat/bench/deadlift/press.

a chest/arms workout would be bench, incline bench, close grip bench, flys, curls, tricep extension, dips

leg day is squat, front squats, leg press, and I usually do core work on the same day.

I like to do deadlifts on a separate day to squats.

Advertisement