Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LAN Cable Set Up

Options
  • 12-01-2016 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

I have ran a length of Cat5e cable and wired up a RJ45 jack on each end to the 568b standard.

I then connected a patch cable into each jack. The patch cables have 568b printed on them.

One cable goes from my router into a jack and the other cable goes from my laptop into a jack.

My laptop is not picking up the internet.

I have connected my laptop directly to the router with both patch cables and it connects without issue.

I have double triple and quadruple checked the wiring into the jacks and they look good to me.

So braintrust any ideas on where I may have gone wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I have ran a length of Cat5e cable and wired up a RJ45 jack on each end to the 568b standard.

I then connected a patch cable into each jack. The patch cables have 568b printed on them.

One cable goes from my router into a jack and the other cable goes from my laptop into a jack.

My laptop is not picking up the internet.

I have connected my laptop directly to the router with both patch cables and it connects without issue.

I have double triple and quadruple checked the wiring into the jacks and they look good to me.

So braintrust any ideas on where I may have gone wrong.

How long is the entire cable run (including patch leads)? If it's close to 100m it's too long.

Could the cable between the jacks have snagged on anything and become kinked or broken? Can you test this?

Is the cable running anywhere near a power cable? This could cause interference which would goose the signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

The whole run is only about 10m, its going from one room through the wall and into the room beside it.

The only place it could have become snagged is when passing through the wall, I have it clipped to the wall everywhere else with no sharp bends.

Its not very close to any power lines, 50cm is probably the closest.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭65535

Try and get a LAN cable tester, even a basic one which checks the pairs would do.
    About €20

Example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 braniganl

Be cheaper to buy a 10m Ethernet cable, get one for 3 or 4 quid online.

I have ordered a tester from Amazon for €7.

In the meantime I took the RJ45 jacks off my cable run and wired them onto either end of the remaining reel of Cat 5e. The reel was 50m to begin with so its obviously less than 40m now. I am still not getting any internet through the Cat 5e. I'm certain I am wiring the jacks correctly. At this rate the homeplugs are sounding like an even better idea :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭amikoalien2

Can you post a picture of your wired jack ? Close up
    With the cat 5 cable pins facing you left to right

there are only 2 pairs that matter
    pins 1 & 2 white / orange
    Pin 3 & 6 White / Green

Transmit & Receive

the blue White pair pins 4 /5 Blue / White for Voice / telephone

Pins 7 & 8 White / Brown Not used on cat 5

Here's the RJ45 wired up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭amikoalien2

Here's the RJ45 wired up
    Where is the colour coding for that jack
    usually there is a paper inlay with colour code on it I dont see it on that piccy

http://www.cablemonkey.ie/cat6-modules-outlets/71-cat6-utp-rj45-modules-with-faceplate.html

See the piccy on this site with the colour inlay just on the right hand side of the faceplate

Or does yours just have a pin number ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Colour markers may be on the outer edge of the blocks vs on the tops/inside.

ED E wrote: »

Yea they are on the sides

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

No problem there

I'm thinking that one of the jacks could be faulty

My tester has arrived and it's showing 8 green lights in sequence.

😩 what the F am I doing wrong that it's not carrying the signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭65535

8 lights in sequence on BOTH ends of the tester ?

65535 wrote: »
    8 lights in sequence on BOTH ends of the tester ?

Yep

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Time to go lo-tech. Get a multi meter, put both connectors side by side and measure each pin. But also measure each pin against any other pin, to make sure pin 1 only connects to pin 1 and so on. If all pins connect up correctly, call an exorcist.
    Maybe run the same tests on the working cable, to see if there are any differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Before you call in the exorcist, it might also be worth while examining the cable itself, as there's quite a bit of fake/bogus Cat5e cable floating about on eBay and other online sites where either the pairs aren't twisted at all, or else the wire isn't copper but copper coated aluminium.

Could you strip back a few inches of the grey outer insulation and take a photo of the individual pairs? Also strip back the insulation on one of the wires and scrape at it with a blade of some sort and see if it changes colour.

I'm happy with the retailer I bought the roll of cable from.

The few sections I've cut have all shown it to be in order

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I'm happy with the retailer I bought the roll of cable from.

The few sections I've cut have all shown it to be in order

You must have gone to the drive through! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement