Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving belongings in bulk to UK?

• 12-01-2016 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Looks like the time is nigh. I'll have to take my chances in another country.

I'm not going to bring the car. It's 11 years old, and I couldn't be dealing with trying to sell it overseas.

I'll bring what I can on the plane or ferry, but will pack up stuff to send to a future address.

There are some suggestions on older threads.

I would probably have to get musical instruments shipped over.

Would these be safe in a crate? Has anyone had this type of experience with valuables?

It would just be clothes, books and a few boxes of CDs other than that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

If its just clothes, books and a few boxes of CDs then the best value option is probably going to be to stick it in the post or get it couriered over. I was looking at it yesterday and a 20kg box is €25 was surprised how cheap it was! Have a few things that I was thinking of taking on the plane but at that price going to save myself the hassle and just post them instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

Have you considered taking a look at http://www.anyvan.com ? Some lads at work have used them and had no issues for mainly UK runs, but afaik there are people who will shift stuff across the water which might be an option for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'll have a look at the van option.

With the clothes, shoes, books, I think I could fit these in a standard crate.

I have a few hundred CDs, but they're in envelopes, so I could leave the plastic cases in Ireland for now.

The guitars would be my main concern, just in terms of them being breakable!

Maybe I could fit these in a crate as well, and hope it doesn't get bashed around on a boat in the Irish sea!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 BattleReady

seachto7 wrote: »
    Looks like the time is nigh. I'll have to take my chances in another country.

I'm not going to bring the car. It's 11 years old, and I couldn't be dealing with trying to sell it overseas.

I'll bring what I can on the plane or ferry, but will pack up stuff to send to a future address.

There are some suggestions on older threads.

I would probably have to get musical instruments shipped over.

Would these be safe in a crate? Has anyone had this type of experience with valuables?

It would just be clothes, books and a few boxes of CDs other than that.

try the guys at parcel direct only €1950 for a 20kg box. use them all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Where in the uk are you shipping to?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Buy an old Transit and use that to drive everything over yourself. You can sell it again once you're over or hang on to it for a while. It will also be handy if you're furnishing a flat or house and you're buying furniture, washing machine, etc...

The upside, you can do this for less than 20 kg at parcel direct, ship near a ton and you'll have a van! I see no downside.

Buy an old Transit and use that to drive everything over yourself. You can sell it again once you're over or hang on to it for a while. It will also be handy if you're furnishing a flat or house and you're buying furniture, washing machine, etc...

The upside, you can do this for less than 20 kg at parcel direct, ship near a ton and you'll have a van! I see no downside.

You can also ship a pallet up to a tonne with parcel direct for about 160e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

You can also ship a pallet up to a tonne with parcel direct for about 160e

You posted €1950 instead of €19.50 above that's where the transit thing is coming in just in case you were wondering!

jimmii wrote:
    You posted €1950 instead of €19.50 above that's where the transit thing is coming in just in case you were wondering!

He he, just noticed it now. Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

He he, just noticed it now. Cheers

Was wondering myself. Seemed a tad steep. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Where in the uk are you shipping to?

Me? Manchester more than likely.

Advertisement