Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your experiences of the Irish music scene

Options
  • 12-01-2016 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

This is inspired by another thread. I would like people to share their experiences working with Irish bands and musicians, funny stories and other cool stuff from the Irish music scene.

An experience I've had is when I first started gigging with weekend bands on Friday nights and the wedding scene, I noticed just how small the scene was. You could be pretty good friends with a major artist and go have pints as friends.

Fire away ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Elemonator wrote: »
    This is inspired by another thread. I would like people to share their experiences working with Irish bands and musicians, funny stories and other cool stuff from the Irish music scene.

An experience I've had is when I first started gigging with weekend bands on Friday nights and the wedding scene, I noticed just how small the scene was. You could be pretty good friends with a major artist and go have pints as friends.

Fire away ;)

So who did you have pints with?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Pay to play, basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

So who did you have pints with?

Ran into U2 members, Van Morrison, Noel Bridgeman.....hell I even ran into Stereophonics one time!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Pay to play, basically.
    F**k that with a rusty blade, tbh. Every time someone pays to play, only the pub wins. And for what? So you and your friends pay marked up drink to see you play, and you get nothing from it? Nothing. You don't get exposure, because all of your friends already know that you play.

You know that pay-to-play is bad when playing for nothing is better!

the_syco wrote: »
    F**k that with a rusty blade, tbh. Every time someone pays to play, only the pub wins. And for what? So you and your friends pay marked up drink to see you play, and you get nothing from it? Nothing. You don't get exposure, because all of your friends already know that you play.

Pay to play was the bane of the Irish music scene for so long, but it did eventually die out when bands refused to do it anymore. And venues stopped doing it. Actually I think it was more the "promoters" who would put these nights on and "sell" you a bunch of tickets. The only people there would be your friends and the friends of the other bands on the night, so no one really cared about the other.

Was stung with that so many times. Better to go after decent support slots, or just put your own night on (which in fairness costs money, but you can promote it and downscale it to be in a bar or something rather than somewhere like Voodoo or the Hub, where these things used to always be).

Other experiences? There was nowhere to go, no next step to make - none of the labels were signing bands, those that did were tiny and didn't really make any difference. You really had to go to London for a chance at any bigger success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

I probably had the stereotypical amateur Irish band experience. I started playing in a band around 08, just as the recession hit and it was immensely enjoyable. I ended up out of work due to the downturn, as did all my band-mates, so gigging late midweek and rehearsing at any hour of the day wasn't an issue.

Being very naïve as to how a band, the music industry and "the scene" worked, we did the whole "Pay to Play" thing, but I think we copped on after the first one that it was a massive waste of time for us and our small fanbase (friends and family who we dragged to our gigs). There was also plenty of decent spots to play for original bands without having to pay. Dimestore on Thursday nights in Sweeney's on Dame St was always a great night it had three floors of original music (and still does as far as I know), The Pint on the Quays was another good venue for original bands and Captain America's in Blanchardstown used to host some really good original act nights. We got €0.00 for playing any of the above, but didn't really mind, few free pints, good fun and an opportunity to get up and make some noise was on offer! We even hosted our own night in a bar in town, promoted it and generated a decent crowd and few bob after a while.

The problems came when after a few years none of us in the band actually knew what to do with it. We'd gigged, we'd recorded, done festivals and put our music "out there", but after that we didn't really know what the next steps were. Gradually, the more we looked into press-packs, management and promoters, the more the fun and enjoyment drained. The economy started to pick up and we all got jobs again, meaning time and commitment became an issue, so we ended up calling it a day. All in all, it was amateur hour all day long, but still had more positives than negatives and it was a great experience.

The problems came when after a few years none of us in the band actually knew what to do with it. We'd gigged, we'd recorded, done festivals and put our music "out there", but after that we didn't really know what the next steps were. Gradually, the more we looked into press-packs, management and promoters, the more the fun and enjoyment drained. The economy started to pick up and we all got jobs again, meaning time and commitment became an issue, so we ended up calling it a day. All in all, it was amateur hour all day long, but still had more positives than negatives and it was a great experience.

What you needed was radio play. And for significant radio play, you needed a label. Having said that, a band I was in had radio play, I'm talking national station, middle of the day radio play, and it didn't make a jot of difference. We had coverage in Hot Press (photos and a "ones to watch" article), heck we even had write ups in the Mirror and the Daily Mail. But it still didn't matter - Ireland was / is too small for any of that to make a difference. Ireland is too small for that to mean anything significant.

As for what you say about promotion / management, at the end of the day it's a business, it's the music "industry" after all. So bands have to be prepared to tackle the business side as well, do the promo, the website, mail CDs to 50 different local stations, text radio stations 50 times a day to request their song (and ask all their friends and families to do the same). It takes a lot of stamina to keep that going, and if you're seeing returns it makes it easier; if not, it's very easy to just throw in the towel, which countless bands have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

What you needed was radio play. And for significant radio play, you needed a label. Having said that, a band I was in had radio play, I'm talking national station, middle of the day radio play, and it didn't make a jot of difference. We had coverage in Hot Press (photos and a "ones to watch" article), heck we even had write ups in the Mirror and the Daily Mail. But it still didn't matter - Ireland was / is too small for any of that to make a difference. Ireland is too small for that to mean anything significant.

As for what you say about promotion / management, at the end of the day it's a business, it's the music "industry" after all. So bands have to be prepared to tackle the business side as well, do the promo, the website, mail CDs to 50 different local stations, text radio stations 50 times a day to request their song (and ask all their friends and families to do the same). It takes a lot of stamina to keep that going, and if you're seeing returns it makes it easier; if not, it's very easy to just throw in the towel, which countless bands have done.

Radio play can be quite subjective to bands. While it's something that every band would like to have available to them, it doesn't necessarily mean that every band suits the radio. For example, the only major station in this country (to the best of my knowledge) which offers a platform to alternative music is TXFM (Phantom to those of us of a certain age :P) and even at that, the station has been downgraded since the days of it being Phantom. If your band hasn't got a Kodaline-esque sound (I don't mean that in a derogatory manner), or isn't a radio friendly act, then radio play isn't an option. So banging off CDs and texts to radio stations is a really great idea, if your band suits what the radio plays.

There are many avenues though, which make it easier for the bedroom musician or garage band to reach an audience. Bandcamp, Soundcloud, YouTube, even Spotify offer an opportunity to bands to get their music out there. Facebook and Twitter are now excellent promotional tools for bands, when they're utilised correctly. I do agree with your point that Ireland is too small for our radio and our national music press to make a huge difference to an Irish act from a global perspective, but it can be a good stepping stone for the right band.

Radio play can be quite subjective to bands. While it's something that every band would like to have available to them, it doesn't necessarily mean that every band suits the radio. For example, the only major station in this country (to the best of my knowledge) which offers a platform to alternative music is TXFM (Phantom to those of us of a certain age :P) and even at that, the station has been downgraded since the days of it being Phantom. If your band hasn't got a Kodaline-esque sound (I don't mean that in a derogatory manner), or isn't a radio friendly act, then radio play isn't an option. So banging off CDs and texts to radio stations is a really great idea, if your band suits what the radio plays.

Radio stations playing bands has nothing to do with what music they "like". It's all about plugging. Radio promo is a big business, and we had engaged with some promoters with regards to getting regular, playlisted, daytime radio play. The more you pay them, the harder they push, the more you get played on the radio. It's all about money. You think what you're hearing on TXFM is "the best" music out there? It's not - it's the music with the biggest PR budget. ;)

However I do agree that the more radio friendly your music is, the more likely it'll be played. Having said that, "indie" is a catch all term isn't it? You can have Mars Volta played next to Coldplay and no one would bat an eyelid. :)
    but it can be a good stepping stone for the right band.

But that's the same problem you had - a stepping stone to what? You go over to the UK and you start from scratch. No one in the UK gives a flying f**k about what's happening in Ireland. But that's where all the labels are. Or you go to the US and it's even harder.

We had a UK guy and had hoped the (little) success we'd had in Ireland (a top 5 iTunes Ireland single no less) would help us but we might as well have been featured in "Farming Weekly" for all the good it did.

Pay to play was the bane of the Irish music scene for so long, but it did eventually die out when bands refused to do it anymore.
    It still exists. Have seen a certain venue on Lower Camden Street hosting such sh|te, but as the venue itself wasn't running it, I won't name it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The main problem with the Irish music scene is the media (radio and TV) will only support certain styles and they will not support other styles at all. I am sick of seeing very poor quality boyfolk (Irish country pop) and boyband performers on our screens so often. It seems if one does not sound like Westlife or Mike Denver the media will not support it. I see countless singers, musicians and bands of every style of music who are far more talented than what we get to see on Tubridy or to hear on 2FM. Yet, none of them are been given the breaks they deserve.

Clever marketing and exposure on the top media have made stars out of some of the worst performers (boyfolk and boyband performers mainly). If poor fare can become famous, then why can't good singers, musicians and bands get their breaks? For whatever reason, our media fall in love with certain performers (many of them of poor quality) and then force them on us every way they can. This is wrong and keeps out and discourages a lot of people. Setting up a band today is a very brave move, and a lonely road for most apart from those who have influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Jesus that stupidity used to p*** me off. We are musicians, many years (learning your craft, rehearsals) of training and dedication have gone into the small set that the audience sees. I'm not a venues barking seal, if you want musical entertainment then I suggest paying musicians to play and not the other way round. I'm not one to demand money but we contributed to the coffers so we should get some, afterall it is some people's livelihood. There is one particular occasion we had enough. We were scheduled to play a well known venue in town, often used by smaller international acts, and we were given a few hundred tickets to sell (along with a few other bands) and we didn't even get a cut, despite the fact that thousands of euro was made (I am a broke ass college student). Eventually, we ended up giving out about it to the right people and we got offered a place in a large music festival with money for our time plus expenses, free pints and food and some of the greatest craic I've ever had!

Radio stations playing bands has nothing to do with what music they "like". It's all about plugging. Radio promo is a big business, and we had engaged with some promoters with regards to getting regular, playlisted, daytime radio play. The more you pay them, the harder they push, the more you get played on the radio. It's all about money. You think what you're hearing on TXFM is "the best" music out there? It's not - it's the music with the biggest PR budget. ;)

However I do agree that the more radio friendly your music is, the more likely it'll be played. Having said that, "indie" is a catch all term isn't it? You can have Mars Volta played next to Coldplay and no one would bat an eyelid. :)

Explains a lot. Gave up on listening to radio a long time ago because everytime I turned it on, there either was some boyband, awful country pop music or deafing 'thump thump thump' stuff. Melodies and meaningful lyrics were non-existent. TV is no better. It is all these talent competitions and then it is all these boybands and country pop singers getting promoted on Tubridy's show and so on.

Radio and TV does not belong to and the content should not be bought by promoters whose money could be dodgy. There is a tax in this country to own a TV so if we are taxed to have such a device, we should have a say in the content that gets shown. If people are in a band and pay tax to own a TV, they have a right to get a bit of promotion. Everyone should get a chance. Lord knows there's enough shows on it and it should be the people who decide about bands once they are shown. I hate terms like 'radio friendly'. That is a prejudged stance favoring one form of music and not another.

The problem runs much deeper than music and is that the media just like politicians and banks and other institutions has become detached from the people and has failed the people. With regard to music, the media is there to promote and protect just boybands and boyfolk music (aka country pop music) and little else.

Nova has a "local music hour" on Sundays. You'll hear a few local bands from right across the scale (metal/indie/etc).

Nova has a "local music hour" on Sundays. You'll hear a few local bands from right across the scale (metal/indie/etc).

We were on that a few times. Didn't mean anything. F**k all people listen to the radio on a Sunday. We also did the same thing on 98FM, but again it made no difference.

Don't get me wrong, the band were one of the most radio friendly, melodic and commercial bands you could get - the singer had the looks and the voice, a great tight band, strong songs, and amazing recordings (we recorded an album in Westland studios, still unreleased). But we had no money for PR. That was it.

We were quoted crazy amounts of money for PR for one single (in the thousands) but that would've only been a localised approach. We'd been looking at UK and US labels (and even got positive feedback from Taylor Swift's label) but because we had no money to beat them over the head with promotion, we couldn't get anywhere.

Unless you are very lucky and you're in the right place at the right time, it's very hard to get up to that next level. Out of the pond. :) Look at Ham Sandwich - they were around for YEARS and had a lot of local support, we played with them once in a sold out Village and it was great, but they had to do it all themselves - there was so much money pumped into it. And they got a number 1 Irish album and I think they played in the UK a bit. But where now? Are they going to be in the UK charts? Not without the power of a big label they won't.

That's why I got out of it, and am now happily recording and releasing electronic music. It's ironic, as Irish people love music, we've got the only Tower records in the world, countless festivals, loads of bands (some of them are even good), loads of venues, but no framework of support for that to exist in, namely, big labels who can invest into developing the scene.

That's why I got out of it, and am now happily recording and releasing electronic music. It's ironic, as Irish people love music, we've got the only Tower records in the world, countless festivals, loads of bands (some of them are even good), loads of venues, but no framework of support for that to exist in, namely, big labels who can invest into developing the scene.
    I find there's not enough people to really give a band a living here. If a Irish heavy metal band goes to the EU, they have so more of a chance of "making it", then if they stayed in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

There's no anger in Irish bands (metal excepted). Too much middle-class politeness and niceness. Would Ryan Tubridy have another Virgin Prunes on his show like Gaybo did?

fiachr_a wrote: »
    There's no anger in Irish bands (metal excepted). Too much middle-class politeness and niceness. Would Ryan Tubridy have another Virgin Prunes on his show like Gaybo did?

I don't know what things are like in other place but Ireland's mainstream media are total cliques and verge almost on the dictatorial. I've stopped watching the likes of Tubridy's Friday show because it more often than not is an advertising extravaganza for forcing certain individuals on us musical and otherwise. Musically, it is only tame boybands and even tamer pop country that gets promoted 99% of the time.

I have debated the above before and people will say things like 'change the channel', 'turn it off', 'don't support it', etc. and of course I do. That works for me as a fan of entertainers musical and otherwise but not for some band or singer or comedian who needs promotion and cannot get it because the media refuse to offer it.

People may point to shows like Other Voices or to some radio stations. But like the artists these feature, they are not promoted. Shows like Tubridy's are followed and loyally supported to this day out of tradition, a lot like how we voted out of tradition as a family once upon a time. As a result, what goes on on that show is widely known and talked about and the people the media want to force on us get on this and other pushed prime time shows and not on the rarely promoted Other Voices, et al. It is a shame that Irish media is killing Irish talent.

Compare the support RTE gives to promoting the Westlife/Corrs solo albums instead of showcasing real Irish talent like Ann Scott or Fionn Regan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

It kinda went downhill when RTE axed Under Ether which got two or three seasons with a nice mix of famous eclectic and indie talent from around Ireland, the same for No Disco, another great show. Ham Sandwich did get some decent coverage on the Electric Picnic show, as did the Coronas and a few others. Other Voices is great but it is mainly established artists that perform on it and who most likely have appeared on Jools before that. We need something like Under Ether again, only extend the series, take in things like Knockanstockan festival, Indiependence and some of the smaller events. Do a pub crawl of music pubs in a city and not just traditional. We need to start a movement who can email and bombard messages to RTE big time or start getting on to TDs like Ming and Mick to speak up about representation of the youth and our right to a good music agenda if we have to pay the licence. You know what RTE would say, 'Sure, just look at Youtube.'

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

It kinda went downhill when RTE axed Under Ether which got two or three seasons with a nice mix of famous eclectic and indie talent from around Ireland, the same for No Disco, another great show. Ham Sandwich did get some decent coverage on the Electric Picnic show, as did the Coronas and a few others. Other Voices is great but it is mainly established artists that perform on it and who most likely have appeared on Jools before that. We need something like Under Ether again, only extend the series, take in things like Knockanstockan festival, Indiependence and some of the smaller events. Do a pub crawl of music pubs in a city and not just traditional. We need to start a movement who can email and bombard messages to RTE big time or start getting on to TDs like Ming and Mick to speak up about representation of the youth and our right to a good music agenda if we have to pay the licence. You know what RTE would say, 'Sure, just look at Youtube.'

I agree. Under Ether was a good show for up and coming talent. Other Voices showcased more famous singers and bands. Both served a good purpose.

I think we do need to bombard RTE and politicians with messages to let them know that there are fans of other types of music out there besides pop and country pop (boyfolk).

For some unknown reason, The Late Late Show continues to be popular amongst many of all ages inclusive of those who publicly hate it and have not a good word to say about it. Like it or not, this show where no effort is made remains viewed by hundreds of thousands each friday and what people do not realise is that each watch of this show is a statistic that endorses RTE's paying of royalties to non-talents like Mike Denver and Boyband #Zillion. So, even if one does not buy albums of such poor fare, we are still unwittingly supporting them even if we watch them for a laugh.

It would be great to see RTE have a 12 month period where they do not showcase on these prime time chatshows any boybands or boyfolk (Denver, Derek Ryan) and other such pop acts and instead showcase all the other styles.

PS: Don't get me wrong. I am not for banning boybands or boyfolk. While they are not or never were or will be my cup of tea I would have no problem with the promotion of these genres if they coexisted with the promotion of other genres. The problem is that almost 100% of Irish media promotion is dominated by boybands and boyfolk and everything else gets almost no support is what is wrong.

The best place to buy CDs from modern Irish acts are the charity shops. That says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Irish music scene as I see it:

- Mainstream Irish music media are idiots. Not that bands and artists should be relying on them...
    - Too many cover bands and tribute bands (and I have no respect for these type of bands). Be creative and actually express yourselves through music, regardless of what the punters in the pub think
    - Not enough networking between indepedent bands/artists
    - Not enough D.I.Y. ethic and trying to make something out of nothing. Every young aspiring band should read Our Band Could Be Your Life by Michael Azerrad

Furthermore bands should not expect to be paid for doing gigs, they should consider it a bonus. If you really love playing music enough you wouldn't give two f**ks if you got paid or not.

If a band really wanted to expand their popularity, without compromising their sound and sucking corporate dick, then they should leave the country. My Bloody Valentine did it and The Virgin Prunes did it. Too many bands here seem to give up and admit defeat.
    we've got the only Tower records in the world
    No we don't.

- Mainstream Irish music media are idiots. Not that bands and artists should be relying on them...
    - Too many cover bands and tribute bands (and I have no respect for these type of bands). Be creative and actually express yourselves through music, regardless of what the punters in the pub think
    - Not enough D.I.Y. ethic and trying to make something out of nothing. Every young aspiring band should read Our Band Could Be Your Life by Michael Azerrad

Furthermore bands should not expect to be paid for doing gigs, they should consider it a bonus. If you really love playing music enough you wouldn't give two f**ks if you got paid or not.

If a band really wanted to expand their popularity, without compromising their sound and sucking corporate dick, then they should leave the country. My Bloody Valentine did it and The Virgin Prunes did it. Too many bands here seem to give up and admit defeat.

I have seen countless tribute bands to different singers and bands. Some are very good and others are terrible. But it is the easy option. Just learn the hits of singer/band and then do the same act over and over.

Mainstream Irish music media are very poor and do not support real talent. But because of the third and fourth reasons you give, singers/bands have to rely on them and they know it. Mainstream media then decides what gets heard and what does not and the gullible fall for all the marketing ploys. Like last night I saw a bit of Tubridy (I seldom watch it anymore but did due to the discussion on crime that was on) and saw this guy called Johnny Brady singing with a girl. Never heard of this Brady guy before but he sang exactly the same as all the other modern country boyfolk singers. The same old act. It would be the same if it was a boyband or the type of singer songwriter that the mainstream latch onto. No imagination at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

No we don't.

Jesus Christ, some people rely on gigging to put food on their table and pay their mortgage and you say they should play for the love of it and consider earning money a bonus? Haven't seen a more idiotic statement in here in quite a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

We were on that a few times. Didn't mean anything. F**k all people listen to the radio on a Sunday. We also did the same thing on 98FM, but again it made no difference.

Don't get me wrong, the band were one of the most radio friendly, melodic and commercial bands you could get - the singer had the looks and the voice, a great tight band, strong songs, and amazing recordings (we recorded an album in Westland studios, still unreleased). But we had no money for PR. That was it.

We were quoted crazy amounts of money for PR for one single (in the thousands) but that would've only been a localised approach. We'd been looking at UK and US labels (and even got positive feedback from Taylor Swift's label) but because we had no money to beat them over the head with promotion, we couldn't get anywhere.

Unless you are very lucky and you're in the right place at the right time, it's very hard to get up to that next level. Out of the pond. :) Look at Ham Sandwich - they were around for YEARS and had a lot of local support, we played with them once in a sold out Village and it was great, but they had to do it all themselves - there was so much money pumped into it. And they got a number 1 Irish album and I think they played in the UK a bit. But where now? Are they going to be in the UK charts? Not without the power of a big label they won't.

Out of interest, what was the name of your band, if you don't mind me asking?

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Out of interest, what was the name of your band, if you don't mind me asking?

They're still going so I'll leave them out of it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

They're still going so I'll leave them out of it! ;)

Fair enough!

Feel free to pm me though if you just don't want the world and his mother knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, some people rely on gigging to put food on their table and pay their mortgage and you say they should play for the love of it and consider earning money a bonus? Haven't seen a more idiotic statement in here in quite a long time
    Note that I never said that artists shouldn't get paid. Only a very small percentage of artists can earn a full-time living or even make any sort of decent earning from music. What I meant was that artists shouldn't set their hopes high and expect the sun, the moon and the stars to be given to them when they start gigging or making music. And then quit when they're not earning as much as they would expect. There's also these things called jobs which put food on the table. Even Sonic Youth were working day jobs up until they released Daydream Nation.

However, money and music are also a toxic mix. You just have to look at the charts at any point over the past 40 years to see that. The most worthwhile artists focus more on the music rather than the money.

• Advertisement

Note that I never said that artists shouldn't get paid. Only a very small percentage of artists can earn a full-time living or even make any sort of decent earning from music. What I meant was that artists shouldn't set their hopes high and expect the sun, the moon and the stars to be given to them when they start gigging or making music. And then quit when they're not earning as much as they would expect. There's also these things called jobs which put food on the table. Even Sonic Youth were working day jobs up until they released Daydream Nation.

However, money and music are also a toxic mix. You just have to look at the charts at any point over the past 40 years to see that. The most worthwhile artists focus more on the music rather than the money.

The sad thing is that anyone who tries to do something different is not getting the breaks anymore. If that policy was adopted in the old days, Sinatra, Elvis, The Beatles or David Bowie to name but a few would never be discovered.

Today's Irish music scene is dominated by boybands, country pop/boyfolk and talent competitions. Shows like The Voice of Ireland are overhyped, and the same old styles are showcased on Tubridy too. With talks of a boyband supergroup seeing the merger of members of Westlife and Boyzone, this scene is unlikely to be dropped off the agenda anytime soon.

Would these boybands and boyfolk singers be as famous if the media were not forcing them on us? Definitely not. Clever marketing works and people have been bombarded with cleancut pop singers like Ronan Keating, Derek Ryan, Shane Filan, Eoghan Quigg, Mike Denver and Nicky Byrne and think that this is all there is in music and accept it. The fact is there is much better, more exciting music being made that most people will never get to hear as it receives no promotion. Until all forms of music get an even playing field, the era of boybands, boyfolk and talent contests will remain.

Advertisement