Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera upgrade advise (Sony A7ii or FUJI XT1)

• 12-01-2016 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi everyone,

I’m deciding whether I should upgrade my camera from Canon EOS-M to Sony A7ii or FUJI XT1.
    Key questions:
    1. If I go with FUJI XT1 - is it much of an upgrade from EOS-M ?
    2. Are there much affordable lenses to Sony A7 series? (Esp. Wide angle , Zoom)
    3. Is Sony’s Full Frame really worth the price as compared to APS-C?
    4. Are the lenses size for Sony FF considerably larger than FUJI’s that it outweigh the portability of mirrorless camera?
    5. Based on my need (explained below), which is the best choice?

A bit of background:
    I’m hobby photographer who use my camera mostly for travelling - taking landscape photos, (outdoor) portrait, night long exposure (milky way etc). Not so much for shooting sport and moving objects. As a beginner, I’ve bought my canon eos m about 2 years ago. It was great at the time and I’ve learnt to control aperture, iso, exposure to shoot desired photos.

The reasons I want to upgrade:
    - I like having a viewfinder, so I can more focus on composing the photo
    - The grip on EOS M is annoyingly small
    - I think there’s some problem with the camera that auto white balance is always too purple...
    - If I am looking for an upgrade anyway, I’d like to try a full frame camera, but still lightweight enough to travel with

With all these reasons added up, I think the Sony A7 series is very appealing to me.
    However, I currently have two lenses for the EOS M - ef m 11-22 (Wide angle - great for landscape) and ef m 55-200 (Telephoto zoom - great for focusing on an object at distance). If I make the switch, I don’t want to spend way too much on lenses yet. Having done some research, Samyang lenses are good alternative to native expensive sony lenses, but will have to learn manual focus (I’m up for the challenge anyway).

Just before I finalised my decision, I looked at FUJI XT1. There are so many great reviews about the camera itself, the collection of lenses choices, the ergonomic, and image quality. To me, the main difference is that one using a Full Frame sensor and the other is a ASPC sensor. Having never tried Full Frame camera, I have no idea if the image quality is really that much of a difference...

So in summary, I want a camera with:
    Really great image quality (Hence I though Full-Frame would be better. But I could be wrong)
    Affordable range of lens choices
    Easy to carry for travel

That’s it, advices appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭killym

I would suggest You to get a bit cheaper body with better lenses rather than other way... That's my opinion. If You want to shoot better pictures - better body woudn't help itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

I have the A7II and A7RII. I previously had the X-T1.

Get the A7II. It's a far superior camera in my opinion. The X-T1 isn't a bad camera, but like all of the Fuji range, it's awful at resolving fine details. Especially bad for portraits and landscapes.

With the Sony, you would gain the full frame sensor, higher resolution (X-T1 is only 16Mp), access to gorgeous native Zeiss lenses, and the option to adapt pretty much any lens available via inexpensive adapters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭dacogawa

+1 what gloobag said

You won't be disappointed with the Sony A7ii, it will have everything you need and for lenses I can't recommend the Zeiss 55mm 1.8 enough, it may be F1.8 but is so sharp wide open, it's on my camera more than my F1.4s and F1.2! also with adapters (if you don't mind shooting manual with some) the list is endless...

Advertisement