Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle or E-Reader?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

adox wrote: »
    That YouTube video comparison is of the previous version paperwhite.

Although it does only support one format - mobi, it is simple to transcode other formats you may have- ePub etc to mobi with free software.

I have hundreds and hundreds of epubs's, pdf's, college papers, books, JSTOR articles etc...

I just wouldnt have time to transcode them all.

Id love an ereader but I wouldnt like to be locked into Amazon - lots of my reading material is provided for me by the college, how does that work putting it onto your Kindle?.

And Id like to be able to extend storage with an SD card.

I have hundreds and hundreds of epubs's, pdf's, college papers, books, JSTOR articles etc...

I just wouldnt have time to transcode them all.

Id love an ereader but I wouldnt like to be locked into Amazon - lots of my reading material is provided for me by the college, how does that work putting it onto your Kindle?.

And Id like to be able to extend storage with an SD card.

Download Calibre and it'll convert almost all formats to Mobi and you can send the books and documents directly to your Kindle account from the program.

This way you can have your material backed up in Amazons Cloud and can delete them from your Kindle and re-download whenever you want. Kindle supports PDF natively, and a few other formats. It's not true that it only supports Mobi. The new Paperwhite holds 1000's of books, I've got over seven hundred on mine at the moment and it's not slowing down yet.

Using Calibre also means you're not locked into amazon, you can purchase or download your books from wherever you like including Gutenberg and the program can be set up to convert them automatically, then one click will send them to your Kindle.

It converts and sends a book in less than a minute and is very easy to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Thanks Candie, a very informative post.

As a pretty old school tech head I like to keep hard copies of anything important so not worried about things being in the "cloud".

Thats very interesting about not being locked into Amazon, I didnt know that.

Id still like the option of SD storage mind you as it makes it easier to hand the SD card to hubby for him to have access to one of my books.

Thanks Candie, a very informative post.

As a pretty old school tech head I like to keep hard copies of anything important so not worried about things being in the "cloud".

Thats very interesting about not being locked into Amazon, I didnt know that.

Id still like the option of SD storage mind you as it makes it easier to hand the SD card to hubby for him to have access to one of my books.

You're welcome :)

On that last point, you can send your books to your husbands Kindle from Calibre too. You don't need to mess with SD cards that way. :)

Advertisement