Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Can I get "EB" while applying for "A" learner permit?

• 12-01-2016 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi lads,

Did my AM theory test about 18 months ago and decided I'd wait until I turned 24 so I could get a full A permit (as well as being in a better position for getting into bikes money-wise).

Now the time has come to apply for my learner permit. Something just struck me as I was looking at the form, can I apply for an EB learner permit while I'm at it? Wouldn't have a huge amount of use for it, but if I could get it handy it'd be nice to have and do a few lessons.

If it is possible, would there be any downside to getting it that ye could think of?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

LariToper wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Did my AM theory test about 18 months ago and decided I'd wait until I turned 24 so I could get a full A permit (as well as being in a better position for getting into bikes money-wise).

Now the time has come to apply for my learner permit. Something just struck me as I was looking at the form, can I apply for an EB learner permit while I'm at it? Wouldn't have a huge amount of use for it, but if I could get it handy it'd be nice to have and do a few lessons.

If it is possible, would there be any downside to getting it that ye could think of?

Do you mean BE, i.e. a car with a trailer? Only downside would be that you would have to take a test within 3 years to get a third provisional for the car. Not sure if you can take a car test to satisfy test requirements or if you would need to test with the trailer to be entitled to continue drawing a trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LariToper

Do you mean BE, i.e. a car with a trailer? Only downside would be that you would have to take a test within 3 years to get a third provisional for the car. Not sure if you can take a car test to satisfy test requirements or if you would need to test with the trailer to be entitled to continue drawing a trailer.

Apologies, yes I meant BE. I already have my B licence so that shouldn't be a problem. And 3 years would be a big enough window I'd say for getting lessons and taking the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Apologies, yes I meant BE. I already have my B licence so that shouldn't be a problem. And 3 years would be a big enough window I'd say for getting lessons and taking the test

Yes you can OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

If you already have the B license it is a lot more doable. You would have nothing to lose, and would be starting from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭neildyr

I was given the BE mark when applying for my learner(Bike). The guy at the NDLS center said that because I already had a full licence for car, that when I Got my full A bike licence, they would transfer the whole lot over to one licence,i.e the new Bike markings and the BE mark, He said I might be able to avoid doing the trailer test etc. (Would have been nice!!)

However when I went to consolidate the licences at the center, the lady said Id have to do test/training for the trailer and that she would now be removing it from the licence(Full Licence). I still got to keep my learner permit with the BE on it. So technically I can still drive a trailer as I have a full car Licence and a provisional BE.

So in short. If you get it on your permit, you will have to do the lessons and a cert for it to carry onto a full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

neildyr wrote: »
    I was given the BE mark when applying for my learner(Bike). The guy at the NDLS center said that because I already had a full licence for car, that when I Got my full A bike licence, they would transfer the whole lot over to one licence,i.e the new Bike markings and the BE mark, He said I might be able to avoid doing the trailer test etc. (Would have been nice!!)

However when I went to consolidate the licences at the center, the lady said Id have to do test/training for the trailer and that she would now be removing it from the licence(Full Licence). I still got to keep my learner permit with the BE on it. So technically I can still drive a trailer as I have a full car Licence and a provisional BE.

So in short. If you get it on your permit, you will have to do the lessons and a cert for it to carry onto a full.

That was some morom telling you that you could get the BE without a test. I had similar when I handed in my CE pass cert and had also ticked BE. The person told me that I didn't have a BE pass cert when I pointed out that I'd handed them a piece of paper which said I could drive a 44t artic they asked the person next to them what E meant.

When towing a trailer you'll need someone with a BE licence for more than 2 years beside you and not many schools have the equipment to give lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭neildyr

Haha. Thats hilarious and sad at the same time! I understand they're intent with trying to make things safer and everyone needing some piece of paper for various types of vehicle/trailer but it really does feel like a rip off at this stage.
    I went for an aggressive line when deciding I wanted a bike. (Licence and all)
    At a cost of approx 1k, Licence fees, IBT Few lessons etc. Now to sink a bit more to pull a small trailer. On a rant.

I take it they gave you the BE then.What with an artic cert etc?

Figured as much with a person in the car with two years. Thanks for clarifying though. As LariToper said, Something would be nice to have but not entirely necessary.

Advertisement