Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency button to permanently dis-arm magnetic lock on gate

Options
  • 12-01-2016 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

I am a member of a management company of an apartment block. To give you an idea....
    There is one main exit gate which leads on to the public road. Just inside this, you press a switch to dis-arm the magnetic strip which releases the door for, say, 10 seconds.

Half-way up the lane, there is an emergency switch (like a 'press in case of fire' button). If this is pressed, the magnetic strip is permanently killed (so the door is un-locked) until manually re-set by the caretaker the next morning.

This is proving a serious issue, as people are pressing the emergency exit for some reason (probably to let friends back in, or anti-social behavior) meaning that people are littering etc. down the alley at night time (there is no public right of way, it's a private alley).

The property management are saying that it is a legal obligation for this to be in place, incase of emergency, that the door can be left un-locked.

Can anyone confirm this? I was in other apartment blocks recently and spent time looking for such an emergency button, but couldn't find it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

There must be some form of way to release a gate, in the event of power loss or emergency. It doesn't have to be a specific button. It may be a key, or a combination lock or control panel.

But, no matter what the mechanism is, there is always a way that people can and will lock a gate open, to allow friends in, dumping, anti-social activity etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Paulw wrote: »
    There must be some form of way to release a gate, in the event of power loss or emergency. It doesn't have to be a specific button. It may be a key, or a combination lock or control panel.

But, no matter what the mechanism is, there is always a way that people can and will lock a gate open, to allow friends in, dumping, anti-social activity etc.

I understand. In a power loss, it would be unlocked anyway as the magnet has to be energised to work. But that doesn't matter as there has to be a way to release it in case of emergency.

One could say that the button at the gate that opens it for 10 seconds should suffice, no? But, what i'm more interested in is that it doesn't have to be a button... if it can be a key, that would solve the issue. (I'm talking about the emergency release here, not the day-to-day button at the gate)

I understand that yes, people will find a way to keep a gate open. However, if they cannot permanently de-energise the magnet, at least another tenant can re-lock the gate by moving the obstacle in place.

Don't suppose you know where i'd get documentation stating that the emergency release can be a key / control panel, as opposed to a button that can be pressed by anyone?

Could you put in behind one of the "break glass to open" type things. Might discourage most people from using it if it involves breaking the glass.

Could you put in behind one of the "break glass to open" type things. Might discourage most people from using it if it involves breaking the glass.

It was in behind one of those, similar to fire alarm except green in colour. That said, the glass was never replaced (been like that since I was involved). I could request a new glass panel which wouldn't be a problem, but I suspect it'd just be broken again.

I'm liking the idea of the key mechanism as above, would love clarification on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If the management agent is saying this and is insisting on it you really need to get expert fire advice from a fire consultant or an equipment distributor.

Your management agent or company are compromising the safety and security of the whole block.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

you could also argue that they are compromising the safety of their residence allowing a system that can allow anyone in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

What about a sign stating that it's for emergency use only and anyone found using it will be fined? Then a camera (fake or otherwise) pointing directly at it?

What about a sign stating that it's for emergency use only and anyone found using it will be fined? Then a camera (fake or otherwise) pointing directly at it?

That was my most recent recommendation, waiting on a response. However, I don't think anyone will give a toss. It's a very busy alley. Our block is nice, with what I find to be mindful tenants. The other block that shares the alley... let's just say most of them aren't model tenants

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You can get the 'break glass' inserts in bulk quite easily and you need to have somebody to replace them as necessary.

Consider putting it lower down and not at the same height as the normal door/gate release, or put a plastic see through flap arrangement over it to add an extra layer of protection from accidental use.

Advertisement