Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Binoculars

Options
  • 12-01-2016 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi All, was out before christmas with **** (member of this site) and my binos fell and broke in half, I would love to be able to afford a Zeiss or Swarovski but not in this life, anyway, any ideas on rugged wearing, reliable, good FOV etc binos?

Ideally waterproof, fog proof etc for deer hunting.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

price range

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭leica

Vortex talon , I've looked out through a pair a few months ago and found them very clear and crisp , couldn't tell the difference between them and Leica during the day , but can't say what there like at dawn and dusk, you'll buy a new pair for about €450

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭medicman

allan450 wrote: »
    price range

€200 - €300, if the boss lets me :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I used the Aldi cheap bins@€20 for years before I got a good pair. They did me well but not waterproof.
    I'm now using Bushnell 8x40 Legends and find they are very good. Got them off eBay in US @$150 about €300 here. Light and easy to carry, nice field of view great twilight vision.

I won a pair of Delta 8.5x50 Forrest Binoculars from Ballistech Ireland before Christmas. @€;130 they are very good value. Very clear glass with a wide field of view, good for stalking IMO and come in a hard case with neck strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

+1 on the Bushnell legend at the price. a mate of mine has them and not much difference in them and my Leica during the day but falling behind at dusk by about15-20 minutes more viewing time with the leicas

Both sets 8*42

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

medicman wrote: »

Minox would get my vote in that bracket.
    I have the BV 8x42 BR here -http://www.amazon.co.uk/Minox-62028-BV-8x42-Binoculars/dp/B003EHK7Q8
    Got them from Harrison Cameras in UK but exchange rate was better then. They only seem to do a bigger model now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

medicman wrote: »

Has nobody told you yet................you don't tell the boss anything.

My boss thinks this shooting lark is woeful cheap altogether. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

It's worth having a look in Conns Cameras in Dublin or on their website.

Opticron or Steiner models would be almost within your price range.

I have an older pair of the Opticran Countryman 8x42 which are pretty useful, compact enough with pretty good optics.

I also have a pair of Steiner 7x50 military which are amazing in low light but a lot more expensive.

The stalking season is nearly over why dont you put a pair by and pay them off every few weeks.by the time deer season comes around you will have a decent pair like zeiss or swaro for next season.put your 300 down and pay what can even 50 a month you will have a fairly top pair for next season especial if you buy 2nd hand. http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/optical.htm they will give you a rough price for 2nd hand optics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

You would get the ziess terra for 350-400 pending which model you go for.

These definitely aren't worth passing I have a pair and I find them brilliant and affordable for what your getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Steiner 8x42 £120 off now £269

Uttings are good to deal with.

http://www.uttings.co.uk/p119288-steiner-skyhawk-3-0-8x42-4057/#.VpfgPK-6CrU

IV seen through both of the above and i do not rate them.even the higher range of the zeiss i think it was conquest hadnt a patch on the 8x56 zeiss victory which i had.buy once and buy right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Light gathering is more important than power. Can't recommend my Swift Audubon 8.5 x 44 highly enough - built like a tank. Cost me 250 stg a few years ago.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭welsummer

Swarovski all the way for me but its depending on your pocket. I lost a pair of Swarovski binoculars' on the hill for 18 months till the farmer found them again and they were still like brand new.

Advertisement