Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mocks 2016 ***No Requests, use the Search button! READ FIRST POST before posting!***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 swallace3454

Ha you could've of seen me :-P to sort out this request situation I am going to suggest a plan what if we all post our schools websites (for exam timetables) and anyone who wants to see if they have an exam after them they can pm them but i want to say if you're looking for something always give something back

Hope that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Good idea in my opinion - people mightn't be comfortable posting their school's website for fear of sharing too much personal info but just writing out the timetables sounds good
    Here's mine:
    1st Feb - Maths P1
    2nd Feb - English P1
    3rd - Spanish
    4th - Irish P1, English P2 (not looking forward to this day)
    5th - Japanese, Biology
    8th - Maths P2, Irish P2
    9th - Chemistry
    All higher level except for Irish, I'm not 100% sure but it's fairly likely that we order DEB instead of Examcraft but I'll update this as soon as I find out for certain

Good idea in my opinion - people mightn't be comfortable posting their school's website for fear of sharing too much personal info but just writing out the timetables sounds good
    Here's mine:
    1st Feb - Maths P1
    2nd Feb - English P1
    3rd - Spanish
    4th - Irish P1, English P2 (not looking forward to this day)
    5th - Japanese, Biology
    8th - Maths P2, Irish P2
    9th - Chemistry
    All higher level except for Irish, I'm not 100% sure but it's fairly likely that we order DEB instead of Examcraft but I'll update this as soon as I find out for certain

We should also have a backup plan if boards.ie has problems like earlier this week it was shutdown maybe like a Facebook group or chat yet again only another suggestion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lumosteph

Sounds like a plan, I'll post mine here.

1st of February: English Paper 1 and Maths Paper 1
    2nd of February: Irish Paper 1
    3rd of February: Art History and Business (rip me)
    4th of February: Geography
    5th of February: French
    8th of February: English Paper 2 and Maths Paper 2
    9th of February: Irish Paper 2

Updated English hint (almost 100% it's DEB)
    Poets will be
    Durcan, Plath, Bishop and Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭CookieCat97

I've my aurals next week before the rest of the exams so I'll let you guys know about them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

All these mentions of subject names in timetables will appear as results when people search. Results with no info.

If people ONLY post information (as requested), the system as described in the first post works.

This thread will be utter chaos come Feb 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

emersyn wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether DEB papers or Examcraft papers are more popularly chosen among schools, or is there a fairly even amount of schools buying both of them?
    Plus some teachers write their own, or pull random questions from old LC and Mock papers, etc. etc.
    Ha you could've of seen me :-P to sort out this request situation I am going to suggest a plan what if we all post our schools websites (for exam timetables) and anyone who wants to see if they have an exam after them they can pm them but i want to say if you're looking for something always give something back
    What spurious said.

Plus those panicking won't bother checking them anyway.
    We should also have a backup plan if boards.ie has problems like earlier this week it was shutdown maybe like a Facebook group or chat yet again only another suggestion
    Like ... I don't know ... actually revise the course rather than the hints? >_>

<_<

:p

• Advertisement

I'm gonna create a closed group called "Leaving cert 2016 boards group chat " on Facebook but first I need need names pm me if your interested this is only to get out of randylonghorn and spurious's way. It is not as restricted as this one you can say what u want and put up anything with no need of spoilers
    so who's with me like below :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm gonna create a closed group called "Leaving cert 2016 boards group chat " on Facebook but first I need need names pm me if your interested this is only to get out of randylonghorn and spurious's way. It is not as restricted as this one you can say what u want and put up anything with no need of spoilers
    so who's with me like below :P

Beware of copyright issues.

I will ;)

Had my french Aural today, some sections were grand and the others were diabolical:eek: Overall I think that it was harder than the past papers. HL barcode on top right, know vocab for:
    Section 1: Hardest Section, the guy seems to talk forever and very quickly-something about a festival and how to keep it environmentally friendly.
    Section 2: Easy- about getting Bullied and then Home-schooled.
    Section 3: Easy- about how different people deal with stress and calm themselves down.
    Section 4: Easy- conversation between two people about looking for accommodation.
    Section 5: Horrible- about a conductor announcing something on train, some fact and figures about something (I'm not entirely sure I think it might have been about driving) a woman who dealt with a robber.

OL Irish aural today, barcode on the top left so I'm assuming it was DEB
    Absolutely brutal. I've done all the listenings in the exam papers and this was by far the most difficult. Honestly I can't give a lot of spoilers because I didn't understand the vast majority of what was being said. Haven't a notion of what was going on in Cuid A - thankfully one of the questions was to write down a phone number, that's the only question in the whole thing that I'm sure I got right. Started with náid.
    Cuid B was a conversation about the mid-term break - one of the people talking set up a study group and I think the other went on holiday somewhere without wifi?
    First part of Cuid C was about a writer, something about him being in a hotel, I heard 'ceapairí' in there somewhere so maybe it was some sort of reading or book release? The second part was a news report and I could make out the words 'gadaí', 'fadbh druga' and 'siopa poitigeara' so I'm guessing it was about someone addicted to drugs who stole drugs from a pharmacy. It was read out extremely fast.
    Can't imagine what it was like for the HL. The teacher also said that the marking scheme looks really harsh. Hopefully I haven't sugarcoated it too much :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Enhaha

Geography (Examcraft) (All from hints from our teacher)
    - Overpopulation of a sub continental region
    - Feature of river erosion/depositon
    - India
    - Map of Ireland
    - Primary in BMW/GDA
    - Igneous/Limestone Rock Formation
    - Karst Region (I think)
    - Really difficult SQ's - Soil formation triangle, lots of glaciation,
    Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cxxlin

German HL Listening - I think it was DEB?
    Part 1 - was about a doctors organisation, asks when and why he joined it, where he was last & when, how they get the funds for it & what you need to join it, pretty easy.
    Part 2 - was about a girl who lost a bag on a bus I think? Asks a prefix & a phone number and phrases to state her annoyance.
    Part 3 - a conversation between 2 parents. Talking about his son who does nothing but study for his Abi and doesn't see his friends and she talks about her son who did nothing for his but play computer games
    Part 4 - The hardest part. Something about a flower festival? Can't remember Q2, but Q3 was about this record breaking bus in Japan and what it hopes to achieve in the future. Q4 was about the weather as usual. Something about thunder & wind blowing in from the east coast.

Is it possible for teachers to pick a Paper 1 from one mock company and then Paper 2 from the other?

lumosteph wrote:
    Is it possible for teachers to pick a Paper 1 from one mock company and then Paper 2 from the other?

Yes, but it would cost more.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭siebey123

My biology teacher dropped some hints regarding our paper. Don't know if it's DEB or Exam Craft yet but will update as soon as I know. (HL paper)
    Long questions: Ecology, Genetics (no crosses, just theory) Biochemistry, Skeletal system and muscular system, Plant reproduction and Human reproduction (he said these two types of reproduction were both in one question) and possibly Monera

French teacher hinted at something also for one of the written questions. Again don't know which company but will update asap.
    know about emigration/ immigration and how to write about it.

Good luck everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 aoifeg12843

I've a collection of spoilers so I'll just put them all together, unsure of company in all cases but I'll update on Monday when my mocks start

IRISH OL
    Blog on last summer
    Dís
    Caca Milis - almost certain this ones a summary
    Geibheann
    An Spailpin Fanach

BIOLOGY HL
    apparently there's no diagrams? but my teacher did mention there could be a small one
    Genetics theory only
    Enzymes experiment (possibly)

SPANISH HL - DEB
    essay is supposedly relevant and can be linked in with many of the topics, so interpret that as you please
    listening today was okay, some parts more difficult than others, will try remember the whole thing and post later

ENGLISH HL
    Yeats, Durcan, Dickinson and Eliot
    Cultural Context and Vision and Viewpoint
    Lear questions on about the wickedness of the sisters and imagery and symbolism
    Possibly a talk to class as a question B

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭starface

emersyn wrote: »
    Don't know which company we get the mocks from unfortunately but my maths teacher pretty much told us everything on the exam we're getting (HL):
    PAPER 1
    Q1. Wordy sequences question: linear and geometric involving logs
    2. Compositual functions / completing the square
    3. Laws of logs/ equations involving logs
    4. Unknown (our teacher is replacing the questions from topics we haven't done yet so she didn't tell us the topics of the ones we're leaving out)
    5. Injective/surjective/bijective functions
    6. Construct root 2 and root 3, prove the root of a prime is irrational, factor theorem
    7. Unknown
    8. Financial maths - be able to change rates from yearly to monthly
    9. Unknown

PAPER 2
    Q1. Unknown
    2. Trigonometry - formula 1-4 proofs
    3. Unknown
    4. Probability - this and Q5 involve tree/venn diagrams, independent events, mutually exclusive events, conditional probability
    5. Probability
    6. Construction and theorem (she didn't tell us which ones!)
    7. Statistics - standard deviation, converting x-values to z-values, central limit theorem, hypothesis tests
    8. Coordinate geometry of circle
    9. Trigonometry (area of triangle), area/volume involving cylanders

There is absolutely no advantage to knowing this many hints going into your maths exam. Your result won't clearly indicate what grade you're at.

Especially if you are a student that's struggling with HL. Using all these hints might allow you to scrape together a D grade even though you might actually be more suited to OL. Your teacher relies on these results to recommend a level. Try avoid spoilers for maths.

Sorry to be a nag but as a maths teacher that my opinion.

I was happy with the amount of people who wanted go ahead with the Facebook group but sorry I don't have any time to spare so if one of ye who wanted to create one it's fine by me and about the chemistry. We haven't done most of the questions so my teacher is putting in substitutes for them so some of of the questions are coming up and some are my own predictions. With Irish
    Mo grá-sa slipped out of her mouth but I think myself that Geibheann and An gnathrud might come up
    All my papers are DEB and no I haven't started my mocks yet I start on the 2nd of feb and sorry for not replying sooner guys because i wasn't able to access my account. If anyone is looking for an exchange just pm me and ill send my timetable via email

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fairybairy15

For irish I heard
    Mo gra sa and an gnath rud
    is definitely coming up, i don't know if it's examcraft or deb though.

For irish I heard
    Mo gra sa and an gnath rud
    is definitely coming up, i don't know if it's examcraft or deb though.

Its definelty deb I confirm that my teacher accidentally told us what poem is coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 1 elaman

Not sure which company paper we gonna get ,but our school only has a choice from DEB and Examcraft and our maths teacher gave us hints on both.
    Maths HL
    there will be a question on complex numbers and by looking at what he focused in class it looks like it will be an easy one.
    He told us to learn the definition of a function and to learn the theorems, didnt say which one exactly.
    He was also talking about another paper which he is not giving us and he said that on it there is a full question on binomial expansion

It seems that most of us are starting their mocks next week so could everyone post what they get on their papers on the same day they sit it, it would be really helpful since the timetables are different for everyone

Biology - My teacher told us to focus on these chapters

Ecology
    The skeleton and muscles
    Respiration and photosynthesis
    The senses
    Defense system
    Lymphatic system
    Enzyme experiment
    Food
    Homeostasis
    Viruses

She also said their is a short question on genetics but we haven't done it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Cookie2016

Biology - My teacher told us to focus on these chapters

Ecology
    The skeleton and muscles
    Respiration and photosynthesis
    The senses
    Defense system
    Lymphatic system
    Enzyme experiment
    Food
    Homeostasis
    Viruses

She also said their is a short question on genetics but we haven't done it yet

Deb or exam craft ? ☺️

Cookie2016 wrote: »
    Deb or exam craft ? ☺️

I said recently all my exams are DEB

• Advertisement

HL IRISH AURAL: bar code on top left, it's was a nice paper, a little harder than what's expected of you in the real exam but still very doable.
    Cuid A:
    1. Was about a young couple in doirí beaga looking for someone to look after their children, including qualities/skills necessary for job.
    2. Was about a new broadcasting (I think? it said craoltóireaht :confused:) course for young people, that will help them to improve their Irish) includes phone number and email.
    Cuid B:
    1. Was about a guy taking extra classes cause he didn't do enough work in 5th year, the girl he's talking to parents wouldn't be happy paying for extra classes. Then they talk about what they want to do next year (she wants to study in Germany and he wants to play rugby professionally)
    2. Was two people talking about studying, one of them stayed in a quiet holiday home, it was a perfect place to study and had aiseanna nua-aimseartha (broadband, solar panels and good phone services) They decide to meet at a coffee shop in/ near a library.
    Cuid C: (Slightly harder than the rest and was played very fast)
    1. Was about a book signing. People came together to read out their stories and some guy played an important part with running it (not completely sure on that one, I didn't get the answer)
    2. About a young guy who stole a lot of drugs from a pharmacy. Guards thought he was nice when he was younger but fell into bad company.He has to spend time in prison but he can get out of prison early if he decides to do a drug rehabilitation thing.

Guys ná bí buartha! Ádh mór :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement