Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat grooming / allergies

• 13-01-2016 1:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Wow I never thought I would be one to say this but... My OH is allergic to my cats!!! :O :O so it's her or the cats.

(Just kidding :D )

I'm looking for a way to cut down on shedding to try and lessen the hairs around the place getting stuck up our noses etc etc. I've started adding in more salmon oil to their food, it used to be an occasional treat coming up to a show, but I'm getting more strict on it now as I know this will help.
    But I'm also looking into grooming them better. I have a furminator and while it does remove a huge amount of hair, I can't say I'm the biggest fan as the blades seem quite harsh.
    Luckily Dude barely sheds so he isn't a problem. Cream has very little under coat so it's easy run a slicker brush through him, but Peach has a very very VERY dense coat and sheds by the handful every time you rub her. Which is unfortunate as she has a particular affinity for my OH and will happily spend an entire weekend on her lap.

So! Does anyone have any recommendations on brushes/ anything else I can do to cut down shedding? (Place is hoovered/swept regularly and blankets changed so that's already taken care of!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shivi111

Poor OH, welcome to my life!!
    Thing is, the shedding isn't really the issue, ordinarily the dander is triggering the allergy. Some things that have helped me (havering three kitty's and allergic asthma!)
    1. Bedroom ban - no cats where you sleep, this was hard at first but absolutely had to happen and made a massive difference, after a while everyone adjusted to the new rule!
    2. Cleaning, a good Hoover with a HEPA filter, the dander gets blown into the air by other hovers making everything worse. Wooden floors are better than carpets which the dander clings to. Wooden floors mopped with boiling water at least twice a week.
    3. Grooming, all cats, everyday brushed out, over a piece of newspaper.
    4. Hands washed after petting cat.
    5. Medication, a good quality antihistamine taken (by human!) everyday without fail.

My doc recommended getting rid of the cats which wasn't happening (I was having full-on asthma attacks) and steps above have really helped. In fact, we only had two cats when problem started and have since been happy to add another kitty to the household :) good luck!

Advertisement