Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java Programming Courses

Options
  • 13-01-2016 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey guys,
    A bit of help here, be much appreciated. I'm trying to upskill in Java programming, I'm actually fairly new to it, did a web development course last year...mostly front end stuff....Very interested in Java and can see possible jobs opening up for me if I can become somewhat fluent in it.....my question is......has anybody has any experience of the following providers....

Fitzwilliam Institute- got a 10 week/20 class part time course starting in march for 1400 euros, I'm thinking strongly about it although not yet sure where I'll get the money....I at least have the 20% to book it.....its certified by ICM

IBAT- got a 10week/10 class course starting sooner, mid feb, for 750- suits me much better financially as well as gets me hoping to be in the job market sooner......but of course im only getting half the hours so .....

Dorset College- also offering a 10week/20 class course.....dont know any details about it until I ring them tomorrow......does anybody know much about these guys ? like if the price is 1400 or less are these as good or better than Fitz......

Any advice from anyone with a bit of exp would be brilliant......until last week my plan was just to upskill myself through internet + some grinds and take the Oracle Certification Exam for 240 euros or so.....Now I'm thinking maybe I'd have a better chance of getting hired with a bit more documentation/ diploma.....
    I have a degree but not in computers or science(in arts actually).....

Thanks for any help folks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bshmf

Hi majortom77

I did the Fitzwilliam Java course in late 2014. The tutor and course content were excellent. The equipment and facilities were poor.

A friend did the course that finished in Dec 2015. His experience was not so good. There was different personnel. My friend said the lecturer who began the course was not very good and left after a few weeks, illness was cited, but there would have been complaints about the quality of the instruction.

She was replaced by a Trinity College PhD candidate. He was slightly better, but was not able to answer questions clearly and did not cover all of the advertised course material. He felt the course was fairly poor, again with poor equipment and facilities.

There is no chance that you will get a job in programming with just this or any of the courses you are considering. You will need more experience and a broader range of IT skills. The ICM certification is not recognised under the Irish national framework of qualifications.

If you are unemployed, there are numerous free courses available through Springboard and the ETB/Solas that replaced FAS.

There are several other threads about this on boards, but I cannot post the URLS here as I have not used the site often enough to be allowed. I will send them to you by private message

Advertisement