Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tower Bar - Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Yup, I'll be on that like white on rice.

F**king love the Civ series.... well except Beyond Earth.... that was let down

That being said I used to play it lots when I was on shift work and could get away with playing till 4am on Weeknights

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Fassbender's Assassin's Creed trailer. Doesn't look half bad.

How awkward would Ubisoft feel if their movies where better than their games? Not that that's a big stretch half the time.

Cormac... wrote: »
    Yup, I'll be on that like white on rice.

F**king love the Civ series.... well except Beyond Earth.... that was let down

That being said I used to play it lots when I was on shift work and could get away with playing till 4am on Weeknights

Never got to play Beyond Earth. Still waiting on an Alpha Centauri 2

In game still
    CivilizationVI_screenshot_announce1-720x405.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 45,661 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Love this civ video:

Enjoying Season 2 of Gotham atm. About 6 episodes in, it's pretty hard to not go "one more episode"

Also, Silicon Valley season 3 is on in America. F**king love that show. Especially when you work in computers/it etc

• Advertisement

Enjoying Season 2 of Gotham atm. About 6 episodes in, it's pretty hard to not go "one more episode"

Also, Silicon Valley season 3 is on in America. F**king love that show. Especially when you work in computers/it etc

Gotham annoys me a bit. They are trying to do too much, and even though it is a tv series, they try to do it too quickly.

There is one episode that was on recently (so a good bit ahead of you) where there are 3 major story lines on the go, and they end ALL THREE in the space of 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Twitch streamer reading messages, I had to turn this off twice in work as I was laughing too much (Read the names on the donations):

Fixed: jump to 4 mins 12 seconds.

It no work Señor

I tried to be fancy and skip the first 4 mins, it's fixed now though.

I tried to be fancy and skip the first 4 mins, it's fixed now though.

Yeah that never seems to work

• Advertisement

Gotham annoys me a bit. They are trying to do too much, and even though it is a tv series, they try to do it too quickly.

There is one episode that was on recently (so a good bit ahead of you) where there are 3 major story lines on the go, and they end ALL THREE in the space of 20 minutes.

Yeah I agree with you on this.

But after so much Walking Dead and GoT it's nice to find a series where there's not many many many episodes of character building such. Where you can essentially sit down and watch the 45 mins and it has a start-middle-end. Kind of like the X-Files.

GoT and TWD are like:
    Bad - Bad - Good - Bad - Good - Bad - Bad - Good - Bad - Good.
    There's only a "Pay off" in like 40% of the episodes.

So Gotham is proving a nice departure from that.
    That being said I'm not really into DC or Marvel much aside from seeing the odd Blockbuster movie and playing the Batman Games etc so the bad pacing, lore etc is all kind of lost on me

Overwatch launch party In Movues@Dundrum, may 23rd. €10 per ticket.

Turn based strategists, Civilization 6 arrives October 21st this year.

I presume that PC only?

I presume that PC only?

Yep. Don't think these types of games suit consoles at all.

Yep. Don't think these types of games suit consoles at all.

Correct, they do not, remember Command & Conquer on the PS1 *shudders*

I remember seeing the box, couldn't understand the reasoning behind it at all.

Turn based MIGHT, but highly unlikely to, work as you have the time to decide your actions.

Real time is just pointless on consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

In all fairness Halo Wars on the 360 did a pretty good job for a console rts, but pc will always be king(until a console rts game comes out that allows keyboard and mouse control).

Nothing beats a mouse for RTS tbh.

That being said I played X-com on 360 and that was grand, but again that has a pretty limited UI and Commands and is turn based

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,246 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I remember buying a mouse for my SNES to play Theme Park :pac: I think games like x-com suffer a bit less than an RTS does though as you don't have to be as quick as you would in an RTS.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Civ get a console port at some stage this time around, there's a lot of games coming out for consoles this generation that would have struck me as PC only type releases in the past. There is keyboard and mouse support in the pipeline for both consoles too I'm pretty sure.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Civ get a console port at some stage this time around, there's a lot of games coming out for consoles this generation that would have struck me as PC only type releases in the past.

They have Civ Revolutions 1 and 2.
    All it does is make you wish you were playing Civ 4 or 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

If anyone is into the hunger games/battle royale stuff I'd recommend Michael Grant's Gone series. 6 books. Prepare to feel sad though.

This was one of the funniest things I've seen posted in the Gaming Humour thread :pac:

13179463_825906874179821_4880365939060395739_n.jpg?oh=fd516680576d388cc092fae5b52c06bb&oe=57A1BD74

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

I'm pretty much done with the main destiny grind, still down to raid and PvP but I have a few new additions to the games collection, namely Uncharted 4, BF4 and Borderlands HC.

Still playing U4 story and haven't played any PvP since the beta. BF4 also in story mode just to get the hang of things, there seems to be a fairly large community on here for this one so hopefully I enjoy it.

Now to Borderlands, has anyone on here newly acquired this and fancy teaming up. I've never played any Borderlands but by the sounds of it, it's co-op orientated.

dudeeile wrote: »
    I'm pretty much done with the main destiny grind, still down to raid and PvP, so I have a few new additions to the games collection, namely Uncharted 4, BF4 and Borderlands HC.

Still playing U4 story and haven't played any PvP since the beta. BF4 also in story mode just to get the hang of things, there seems to be a fairly large community on here for this one so hopefully I enjoy it.

Now to Borderlands, has anyone on here newly acquired this and fancy teaming up. I've never played any Borderlands but by the sounds of it, it's co-op orientated.

Yeah, I bought it a while ago and it's still in it's wrapper. :o

Played B2 on the PS3 and never actually finished it. Think I got waylayed around late 20's early 30's. It's a fantastically humorous game that plays great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Yeah, I bought it a while ago and it's still in it's wrapper. :o

Played B2 on the PS3 and never actually finished it. Think I got waylayed around late 20's early 30's. It's a fantastically humorous game that plays great.

Ya picked it up after hearing the way Conar and Madras talked about it in chat one night. Looking forward to getting stuck in for the story more than anything.

dudeeile wrote: »

It's actually both solo and co-op.

You can totally 100% finish the game with no issues on solo.
    The main game finishes at level 30. You can then replay it again for level 30-50 and again from 50-72 depending on how much you like it and how much of the side missions and DLC you like.

The DLC is extensive. Like 1 Main DLC pack (of which there are 4) would equate to about 40% of the Main Story Missions + Side Missions.
    Then there are about 3 other much smaller DLC's

A few of us who are playing it have a (small) chat on PS4. And most of us have several characters at different levels.

There's no real requirement for Co-Op in the whole 1st Playthrough Level 1-30 but it does give better loot and make the game more of a blast.

Myself, Cal, CDB and Conovar did a 1-30 play though and had a great time.
    After that you unlock True Vault Hunter Mode which is a much better "For" arguement for Co-Op.

The way the mobs quantity, strength and level scales is very intuitive.
    You can feel the difference between 2p co-op and 3p co-op, it's all about not just having 4 players dumping kinetic bullets into enemies, you need to have some team play and class synergy and make good weapon choices to counter certain enemy types.

Essentially you can get to like level ~60 or so without replaying much content aside from the Main Story.
    The Main Story is about 17 missions total. About 8 of them are about ~45 mins long and have a boss at the end, the rest are pretty quick or just make you do some busy work.

If you plan on playing Solo for a while, try ensure you have a character that gives health regen to yourself.
    This was a massive mistake of my Solo Play on PS4, I picked Zero and while his DPS is insane, I have feck all ways of getting Health back in a heated TVHM battle.
    I know Maya (who I play Co-op with has Helth Regen and I'm sure Cal can tell you who else has it - Early in the Skill Tree) has health regen.

I would have no issue doing another 1-30 play through (I've done about 7 so far across X-Box 360 and PS4), but I will say what we've learned from our recent sessions is that you need to really dedicate like 3 hours to a sitting to feel like you're progressing, maybe that's just me.

If you have NEVER played BL2 before I'd probably recommend Axion or Salvador.
    Axion is kind of your "Jack of all trades", Salvador is a "Kill all the things" type.
    Zero and Krieg have a much higher skill curve that are no fun solo (1st is a Destiny-Hunter type I guess, 2nd is very melee focused)
    Mechromancer girl is ok, but not great. Maya is support class (kind of).

It would be fair to say the Main Game 1-30 is about ~12 hours long.
    What you could always do is do that solo if you wanted.
    And I think myself (~39) and Conovar (~??) and CDB (~36?) have other characters who could join you at certain points if you post/plan in advance

The game is No Fun if you just get some over levelled person to join in and just get carried, cause the scaling just makes you feel like you're firing nerf bullets and getting stomped by everything.

You might play 1-30 solo and be like, "meh that was fun, but I don't like X character".
    Then you can like restart and do power-levelling sessions for a few mins with myself or Cal or Conovar or whoever to bump you 5-15 and 20-28 and just bate through the Main Story as fast you can to do TVHM on your 2nd character.

Anyway, if you've NEVER played it before, I'd be very surprised if you only ended up with 1 character :P

I'll add you to the Chat there and we can see who wants to do what.
    If Dude and Solvable want to start a playthrough (maybe let's say a week or two from now - when we're all 335 in Destiny and done with UC4), I would be happy to play with ye and be the 3rd and we'd have no hassle finding a 4th.

If Dude and Solvable want to start a playthrough (maybe let's say a week or two from now - when we're all 335 in Destiny and done with UC4), I would be happy to play with ye and be the 3rd and we'd have no hassle finding a 4th.

Yeah I'd be up for some co-op on this. Count me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭nocal

Just to add to Cormac's extensive post:

Being on level is a good idea for co-op. Thus all players are contributing and no-one is hiding off in the corner because they are weak.

Also, for BL2 co-op the 4 original characters are the best imo. They have better synergy between them. Maya and Krieg often have to adjust their setup for co-op or get the other players to adjust their setup.

For solo play, the Gunzerker(Salvador) is the best with the Siren (Maya) second. Gunzerker can be op. Commando (Axton) is good up to UVHM but can struggle to solo it. The Assassin (Zero) offers 2 playstyles - "long range" sniper or melee. Probably the most challenging original character to solo UVHM mode with. Salvador can have early game health re-gen.

All Moxxi weapons give health re-gen - some of them come with interesting side effects - just ask Cormac about Miss Moxxi's Good Touch.

This game is so much more fun co-op. More mobs equals some extremely frantic fights. The shooting mechanism in the game is very soft compared to Destiny.

Finally, for now, this game begins at UVHM - the third playthrough imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭nocal

So tempting.

Advertisement