Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tower Bar - Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,681 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I have a Pro.

I don't think it is worth the upgrade - don't think any game take particular advantage of the extra power - though I believe VR runs better, if you have it.

I traded my original console against it for 200, and my wife paid the other half as an anniversary present. If you keep your old console you can hook it up to the pro directly via network cable and it transfers everything quite quickly.

I needed the extra memory space, and I plan on getting VR once Amazon.co.uk gets it back in stock (currently in stock at £499 so I'm waiting til it comes back in at the £350 price) so I believe/hope I will get my worth from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

I have a Pro.

I don't think it is worth the upgrade - don't think any game take particular advantage of the extra power - though I believe VR runs better, if you have it.

I traded my original console against it for 200, and my wife paid the other half as an anniversary present. If you keep your old console you can hook it up to the pro directly via network cable and it transfers everything quite quickly.

I needed the extra memory space, and I plan on getting VR once Amazon.co.uk gets it back in stock (currently in stock at £499 so I'm waiting til it comes back in at the £350 price) so I believe/hope I will get my worth from it.

To me, this is the only reason to get the pro. And even at that, you need to be committed to VR.

Personally, I don't think VR will ever be much more than a gimmick, gaming wise. I just can't see it taking off, at and to the levels expected, for it to be a success. It will have some interesting titles, and there may be one or two stand outs, but nothing to make the mass gaming public to fully and completely jump on board.

I think something like MS' AR headset has more potential, but again, not gaming wise.

To me, this is the only reason to get the pro. And even at that, you need to be committed to VR.

Personally, I don't think VR will ever be much more than a gimmick, gaming wise. I just can't see it taking off, at and to the levels expected, for it to be a success. It will have some interesting titles, and there may be one or two stand outs, but nothing to make the mass gaming public to fully and completely jump on board.

I think something like MS' AR headset has more potential, but again, not gaming wise.

Have always thought the MS AR stuff would be the better long term bet but not as a gaming thing - from an engineering/design perspective and collaboration in the work environment it could be amazing.

I think VR will be a better gaming option, but only for the hardcore players. Its too isolotory to be a family thing. Takes away from local social interaction. I am disappointed that they didn't take the extra power from the Pro and make the Pro console a requirement for the VR; I think the vanilla PS4 wil hold it back a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Agree, always said the Kinect was wasted on gaming too. Much more interesting uses for it than barely playable games.

Have always thought the MS AR stuff would be the better long term bet but not as a gaming thing - from an engineering/design perspective and collaboration in the work environment it could be amazing.

I think VR will be a better gaming option, but only for the hardcore players. Its too isolotory to be a family thing. Takes away from local social interaction. I am disappointed that they didn't take the extra power from the Pro and make the Pro console a requirement for the VR; I think the vanilla PS4 wil hold it back a little.

Did they not add in a massive power brick to compensate for the OG4's lower power?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,250 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Did they not add in a massive power brick to compensate for the OG4's lower power?

Graphical capability would be more the issue than power I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

I am disappointed that they didn't take the extra power from the Pro and make the Pro console a requirement for the VR; I think the vanilla PS4 wil hold it back a little.
    Mickeroo wrote: »

I understood Mitch's statement as referring to graphical power and NOT power source.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,250 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

dudeeile wrote: »
    I understood Mitch's statement as referring to graphical power and NOT power source.

Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Upgrade HDD to 2TB for a hell of a lot cheaper.

That's plan B.

I'd have no problem upgrading the HDD but is it really worth spending ~€130 on a new HDD when I could just upgrade to a PS4 pro and get a bigger HDD?
    I'm not getting issues from the PS4 itself, bar the HDD space. It'll probably work out cheaper if I was to upgrade now, as opposed to in a years time when the resale value of the PS4 goes down, due to more and more PS4 pros' being traded in...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Got my Imagine LTE Broadband installed.

Quick test came in at 60 download, 5.5 upload with a Ping of 50

So looks like I'm good to still play Destiny in the new place

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    dudeeile wrote: »

Ah yeah of course. don't know why I was under the impression that they added something to it to compensate for the OG4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Mickeroo wrote:

Have vr and both consoles, it's less about graphical capability and more about stability.

The vr is set up to hit a steady FPS on ps4 on the pro it goes above this due to the power boost, in terms of game detail in most games lighting effects and shadows are the main difference. It's small enough gains.

The big difference is in stability everything in vr is just smoother on the pro, as I said in a older post it's hard to put your finger on what's better it just is, I find I get more nauseous quicker on the ps4 than the pro as well which is a big plus.

Yes - I meant graphical power - which is a massive component of creating an immersive VR world.

It is a general complaint I have regarding the PS4/Pro and XBoxOne/Scoprio - with the commitment to ensuring there is no gameplay difference between games on each version of the console and that there will be no Pro/Scorpio exclusives, we will never see games that take full advantage of the specs available. This will be even more galling with the Scorpio as its specs blow the current consoles (including Pro) out of the water. I'm hoping, and kinda expecting, MS will eventually show themselves to be liars over the XboxOne/Scorpio parity and we will see titles that are clearly and objectively better on Scorpio.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I wouldnt bother with a pro unless i was in the market for a nice 4K 10 bit hdr TV as well. Be a bit wasted on a 1080p TV imo,especially as there is a trend where some games have better and more stable framerates on the OG PS4 than the pro running at 1080p with supersampling,improved AA etc.

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH

What have they done to Boards :eek:

EDIT: Oh thank God I was able to go back to the legacy site.... that was a LOT of adverts to have to deal with at one time

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH

What have they done to Boards :eek:

EDIT: Oh thank God I was able to go back to the legacy site.... that was a LOT of adverts to have to deal with at one time

How do you switch on the "new" skin again? I've changed to the old skin ages ago and can't figure out how to change back...

How do you switch on the "new" skin again? I've changed to the old skin ages ago and can't figure out how to change back...

Scoll down the very bottom of the page and you'll see an option for Rubbish "Responsive" Site

I dunno, it automatically changed me randomly a while ago.

A total $hit$how of ads

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That's seen by devs as an improvement to the site?

lmao

The responsive site is total crap. No button to read first unread message, but it's supposed to go to the first unread automatically, only it doesn't. Legacy site by far the superior version.

• Advertisement

That's seen by devs as an improvement to the site?

lmao

2,350% more ad space!

2,350% more ad space!

Also that much more of a reason to enable AdBlock on the site

If they force users to change over to that I'll defo be removing it from my whitelist

Looks like the comment section of a shitty news site

My missus got the job! F**king delighted!

I realise this will only be understood by a small portion of ye, but I'm too happy not to post about it

Congrats and all that.

lmGRdk9.gif

Congrats and all that.

lmGRdk9.gif

She's agreed to be the main bread winner of the house, and fund his aspirations of being a full time Destiny / Overwatch streamer.

Best of luck Cormac and to your missus.

She's agreed to be the main bread winner of the house, and fund his aspirations of being a full time Destiny / Overwatch streamer.

Best of luck Cormac and to your missus.

Don't you mean Battleborn? Thats obviously where he gets most of his views from.

And he even gets the devs in to watch, though I'd say they're going in like "Shiiiit, someones actually playing it"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Don't you mean Battleborn? Thats obviously where he gets most of his views from.

And he even gets the devs in to watch, though I'd say they're going in like "Shiiiit, someones actually playing it"

Nah they were only watching cos he sucked so bad they couldnt believe it :pac:

"Dear guy who makes the game.... how do we beat level 4 in Normal mode in a team of 5? plz tnx"

Also, this

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2017/01/13/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-release-date-announced?abthid=5878600e3984149a2e00004d

There's an Ultra Rare medal for starting a PvP match as a team of 5, which kinda says it all :D

An alarm probably sounded in the devs office

• Advertisement

There's an Ultra Rare medal for starting a PvP match as a team of 5, which kinda says it all :D

An alarm probably sounded in the devs office

I'd say you spent as long thinking about that joke as you do sitting on your D.Va ult :P

Advertisement