Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tower Bar - Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

So, I'm gonna perform the PS4 HDD upgrade tomorrow.

I have a query about the "Backing Up/Restoring" piece. So, the PS4 doesn't recognise certain external SSDs I've tried before.

When doing the back up and using the external, is there a certain type I need to use?

Do I need to back up the whole PS4 storage (pictures, apps, Games, Videos) or Can I just back up the Saved Games and P.T.

If I wanted to do that, would I need to delete all the other stuff off the PS4 1st or what

I have like 3 externals hard drives (HDD and SSD) and a 16GB USB Flash Drive.

Previously my issue was I couldn't get Pics/Vids off the Hard drive to an external and it HAD to be a "Flash Drive"

Explain like I'm 5yo here cause watching videos they are like "Back up your PS4" and I'm like..... ugh

Any chance of you streaming this. Just so we can...........ye know....help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

You run into USB connection issues doing that (might not be an issue for Generic, might be, dunno).

Also, he already bought the HDD, so may as well use it.

Yeah, this is why. already bought it and cannot commit any USB ports to an external long term

Ideally, you would want (need) 2 USB sticks (it's what I used). The issues with external drives forces you to the USB sticks. They even say it on their website. First one for all your game saves/PT/vids/pics. Second for the latest O/S

Can I go PS4 Saves/PT/Vids/Pics -> USB -> PC (temp)

Then use the USB for the System Software update

Then do the PC -> UCB -> PS4 back again for the other stuff.

Only have 1 USB stick atm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Can I go PS4 Saves/PT/Vids/Pics -> USB -> PC (temp)

Then use the USB for the System Software update

Then do the PC -> UCB -> PS4 back again for the other stuff.

Only have 1 USB stick atm

You can of course. At the end of the day, they are just files. So long as you don't make any changes to them while on the computer, the 4 will still read the files once you transfer them back.

Just make sure when you download the O/S that the file is roughly 8/900 MB. for some reason when I was downloading it, a few times it only downloaded the update, even though I was clicking on the full O/S download link. It caused those "Oh fcuk" sweats I mentioned earlier. One of the lads walked me through it too, can't remember who. Twas a great help.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You can of course. At the end of the day, they are just files. So long as you don't make any changes to them while on the computer, the 4 will still read the files once you transfer them back.

Just make sure when you download the O/S that the file is roughly 8/900 MB. for some reason when I was downloading it, a few times it only downloaded the update, even though I was clicking on the full O/S download link. It caused those "Oh fcuk" sweats I mentioned earlier. One of the lads walked me through it too, can't remember who. Twas a great help.

My money is on Dude.... he was doing it around the same time if i remember rightly :P

• Advertisement

stock> wrote: »
    roads_zpsbehlq1jo.jpg

Stolen from YLYL

It's funny because my missus literally had to just buy a new car cause of the roads up our neck of the woods

And by funny I mean annoying and f**k you :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

It's funny because my missus literally had to just buy a new car cause of the roads up our neck of the woods

And by funny I mean annoying and f**k you :pac:

BTW Generic, tomorrow is hallmark day so maybe you should hold off on this until after...... unless you really want to sleep in the cold :P

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭nocal

Eh...the next PS4 OS upgrade will support external USB hard-drives up to 8TB I believe - and games can be installed on the external drive if I read the release not correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

nocal wrote: »
    Eh...the next PS4 OS upgrade will support external USB hard-drives up to 8TB I believe - and games can be installed on the external drive if I read the release not correctly.

But there's only 2 USB ports on the PS. For most of us that's 1 for charger cable, 1 for headset dongle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

But there's only 2 USB ports on the PS. For most of us that's 1 for charger cable, 1 for headset dongle.

You could use a hub but I wouldn't fancy doing so with an external drive

If only Sony had been smart enough to put a third USB port on the back of the console.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

If only Sony had been smart enough to put a third USB port on the back of the console.

Like MS with the Xbox One, 1 on the front(S) /side(original) and 2 on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭nocal

Sony really should release an updated console with a 3rd USB port. Heck while they are at it they could make it 4K compatible and stick in a 1TB hard drive....

They get so much right, and then the small details just put a "meh" around it.

They get so much right, and then the small details just put a "meh" around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I may have to save games that I don't need a headset on the external drive (scary games) and everything else onto the console.

You could use a hub but I wouldn't fancy doing so with an external drive

https://www.amazon.com/Expansion-Charger-Controller-Connector-Playstation-4/dp/B00ZWWMMRU

Using a 60GB External (that the PS4 seems to register for some reason, I'm not arguing) and managed to transfer 65GB of Pics and Vis onto my PC. (Cross referencing that final 5GB of stuff was painful, all the more so cause some of the files were the oldest ones, so 1st Atheon Kills etc) - There was like 1,300 files in Pics and Vids alone :o

So now, what I'm thinking of doing is leaving all the "Digital Download" games I have on the PS4, and deleting the "Disc based" games.

Reason being is I have a 20GB Daily DL Limit, so re-downloading stuff is the issue.

So stuff like Life-is-strange, TWD Michonne, Limbo, Binding of Issac, Unravel etc etc etc.
    I'll leave them on the PS4, so that the PS4 only has like ~50GB of stuff, and do the back up then.

Then put that Back Up file on PC (temporarily) and whack in the new Hard Drive and update it with the latest software, and restore the back up.

Bish, bash, bosh.... bring the PS4 to my sisters place and have her keep it on/active while it downloads any other stuff like Destiny Expansion, Battleborn/OW updates and so on and so forth.

This would have been a lot easier with a 2 USB devices the PS4 would recognise, and if I had less Pics and Vids :/

Sure if it all goes to pot, I still have everything as-is on the exiting 500GB Hard Drive anyhow yeah?

Using a 60GB External (that the PS4 seems to register for some reason, I'm not arguing) and managed to transfer 65GB of Pics and Vis onto my PC. (Cross referencing that final 5GB of stuff was painful, all the more so cause some of the files were the oldest ones, so 1st Atheon Kills etc) - There was like 1,300 files in Pics and Vids alone :o

So now, what I'm thinking of doing is leaving all the "Digital Download" games I have on the PS4, and deleting the "Disc based" games.

Reason being is I have a 20GB Daily DL Limit, so re-downloading stuff is the issue.

So stuff like Life-is-strange, TWD Michonne, Limbo, Binding of Issac, Unravel etc etc etc.
    I'll leave them on the PS4, so that the PS4 only has like ~50GB of stuff, and do the back up then.

Then put that Back Up file on PC (temporarily) and whack in the new Hard Drive and update it with the latest software, and restore the back up.

Bish, bash, bosh.... bring the PS4 to my sisters place and have her keep it on/active while it downloads any other stuff like Destiny Expansion, Battleborn/OW updates and so on and so forth.

This would have been a lot easier with a 2 USB devices the PS4 would recognise, and if I had less Pics and Vids :/

Sure if it all goes to pot, I still have everything as-is on the exiting 500GB Hard Drive anyhow yeah?

Exactly. No matter what happens, you'll still have the OG HD. 2 min swap and your back in business.

• Advertisement

Lads,

Im getting a bit worried...........................

http://www.boards.ie/love.php?match=hot

Boards Matchmaking!beta
    now ye're lovin'

Username Compatibility
    Generic Dreadhead
    SolvableKnave
    gimli2112
    KikiDee
    dudara
    Hail 2 Da Chimp
    kellyshell
    Mitch Connor
    The Hill Billy
    Penny Tration
    Gowel

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Lads,

Im getting a bit worried...........................

http://www.boards.ie/love.php?match=hot

Your my #2 pick also jonny. :o

:x

4lUSjyt.jpg

Why do Imgur pics always end up so much bigger than the actual picture I drag in there.... ughhhh

Your my #2 pick also jonny. :o

65979125.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 45,675 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

raw

65979125.jpg

283.gif

283.gif

DWL1gSP.jpg

1034.gif

1034.gif

Love-Is-In-The-Air-Or-Is-That-Bacon-Funny-Love-Meme-Image.jpg

• Advertisement

Love-Is-In-The-Air-Or-Is-That-Bacon-Funny-Love-Meme-Image.jpg

396.gif

Advertisement