Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tower Bar - Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Unconfirmed sighting of generic today in cork city centre. Can't be too many white fellas with dreads in cork

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

jackrussel wrote: »
    Unconfirmed sighting of generic today in cork city centre. Can't be too many white fellas with dreads in cork

Well, it is cork and you know they are a bit backwards down there so theres many more than you think :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

That is f**king weird. What time (roughly) was it and where, you can PM me if you like?

Cause no word of a lie, it was the 1st time I'd been in the city centre (during the day) in like a year or 2 :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

That is f**king weird. What time (roughly) was it and where, you can PM me if you like?

Cause no word of a lie, it was the 1st time I'd been in the city centre (during the day) in like a year or 2 :eek:

700bb4509eeaf1d3c9686753e9870f90.jpg

just after 3. At the top of the lane by uncles petes on Paul street - don't know the name of the lane, it leads to Apple on the quay

• Advertisement

Yeah, that was me. You creep :P

Yeah, that was me. You creep :P

You're famous shur, massive twitch following - even got name checked by the DTG boy yesterday regarding sidearms!

You're famous shur, massive twitch following - even got name checked by the DTG boy yesterday regarding sidearms!

That was me logged in as the DTG Bot :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

That was me logged in as the DTG Bot :o

Self promotion?

52373527.jpg

• Advertisement

I googled myself (well my PSN/Reddit user name) after what Conovar said (and having seen Youtube videos sent to me previously referencing the guides etc) and found this sh!t€

https://www.collegetimes.com/news/ripped-off-by-tayto-137344

Nothing is safe from bad journalism on the interwebs :o

I googled myself (well my PSN/Reddit user name) after what Conovar said (and having seen Youtube videos sent to me previously referencing the guides etc) and found this sh!t€

https://www.collegetimes.com/news/ripped-off-by-tayto-137344

Nothing is safe from bad journalism on the interwebs :o
    Brilliant

Finally got the PS4 Upgraded with the new HDD

Would have been a lot easier except for some issues

Some of my PC USB ports are f**ked and cause a few fails when transferring data. I need a new Tower.

Whole thing would have been much easier with 2 USB devices (and not one)

The fact the Operating System you download from the PS official website to Install on your new HDD when upgrading is the "Update" for the OS and not the full OS is a F**king Joke..... why they think people are getting random HDD/SSD with Firmware v2.5 (or whatever it is) pre-installed is soooooooo dumb.... and the issue is not new. Just fix your bloody website. After I got the full instal file, it was fine.... wasted a good hour or 2 though. Grrrrr

I could have made the whole process a lot easier for myself, but it's done now thankfully.
    Now to get all my games installed and updated. Why some games like Doom have 30GB patches I'll never know

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Anyone for OW competitive tonight? Season ending in a few days.

If we could get a group together here some salt might be avoided :p

Anyone for Is competitive tonight? Season ending in a few days.

If we could get a group together here some salt might be avoided :p

Im up for Comp, I would imagine Dude will play aswell.

Finally got the PS4 Upgraded with the new HDD

Would have been a lot easier except for some issues

Some of my PC USB ports are f**ked and cause a few fails when transferring data. I need a new Tower.

Whole thing would have been much easier with 2 USB devices (and not one)

The fact the Operating System you download from the PS official website to Install on your new HDD when upgrading is the "Update" for the OS and not the full OS is a F**king Joke..... why they think people are getting random HDD/SSD with Firmware v2.5 (or whatever it is) pre-installed is soooooooo dumb.... and the issue is not new. Just fix your bloody website. After I got the full instal file, it was fine.... wasted a good hour or 2 though. Grrrrr

I could have made the whole process a lot easier for myself, but it's done now thankfully.
    Now to get all my games installed and updated. Why some games like Doom have 30GB patches I'll never know

I tried to warn you. :pac::pac:

In all fairness though, I had the exact same issue, and probably spent the same length of time on it. Mrs Knave was not a happy woman that night, but when she mellowed out when she copped on that I thought I had bricked the system.

I know you did. I thought I got it all right. Was double checking everything and all. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

The fact the Operating System you download from the PS official website to Install on your new HDD when upgrading is the "Update" for the OS and not the full OS is a F**king Joke.....

There are 2 different update files, you picked the smaller, wrong file. I almost made that mistake too.
    Both files have the same name though - as I expect the PS4 OS is programmed to pick up "PS4UPDATE.PUP" in the PS4/UPDATE dir.

Just checked the copies of the update file I downloaded, one is 304MB the other is 870MB.

• Advertisement

Both files, once downloaded had the same name (doesn't help)

There was only 1 file on the PS site. Had there even been the 2nd one, since they are both named the same, how would one know the difference? Only way I could tell was properties -> check file size.

Dumb PS website is dumb and wasted my time despite me following the advice to a tee :/

There was only 1 file on the PS site. Had there even been the 2nd one, since they are both named the same, how would one know the difference? Only way I could tell was properties -> check file size.

Dumb PS website is dumb and wasted my time despite me following the advice to a tee :/

The issues is you followed an online guide (I prob followed the same guide), they have since updated the Playstation page with more options but you didn't read the options, you chose to click the first download button you saw.

If you had read the site, instead of indiscriminately downloading files to your computer, you would have noticed there was a full download option for the OS.

The issues is you followed an online guide (I prob followed the same guide), they have since updated the Playstation page with more options but you didn't read the options, you chose to click the first download button you saw.

If you had read the site, instead of indiscriminately downloading files to your computer, you would have noticed there was a full download option for the OS.

I'll back up Generic here, as I used the download button on the website under the section for the full O/S download, and still got the update file.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

The main stupidity is changing the way HDD upgrades work from the PS3 which was swap HDD, turn on PS3, PS3 downloads OS.

Sony got a lot of things right with the PS4, but at the same time didn't change the more annoying aspects of the PS3.

Yeah, here's what happened. If you go to this page: https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/ps4-system-software/

You probably clicked the big blue button that says "DOWNLOAD UPDATE".
    Instead of going to the section that says: "Perform a new installation of the system software" -> "Download now" like it says in the guide.

I'll back up Generic here, as I used the download button on the website under the section for the full O/S download, and still got the update file.

I don't believe that for 1 minute!

Sony got a lot of things right with the PS4, but at the same time didn't change the more annoying aspects of the PS3.

That's a good point, that would remove the human error altogether. I suppose if someone cracked the OS, this would allow you to potentially use a root'ed version of the PS4...

Pfffffft.... Avast Anti Virus is meant to take care of that.

What point is it being over 30yo if you can't scan read and then blame others

Yuuuup. 100%

It is buried wayyyyy down the page under a drop down, with essentially the same file name though.

It could be laid out a whole lot better
    Yeah, here's what happened. If you go to this page: https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/ps4-system-software/

You probably clicked the big blue button that says "DOWNLOAD UPDATE".
    Instead of going to the section that says: "Perform a new installation of the system software" -> "Download now" like it says in the guide.

Alright Cpt. Hindsight :P

Where were you yesterday to premept this? I wasted a whole hour of my life. AN HOUR!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Don't think I've ever read the instructions before trying to attempt anything.

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Don't think I've ever read the instructions before trying to attempt anything.

Like any other man on the planet :D

Advertisement