Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tower Bar - Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cormac... wrote: »
    Playing Grim Fandango there last night, how in gods name did anyone figure out how to play these Lucas Arts games before the internet :pac:

I mean, I finished The Curse of Monkey Island back in the day on normal mode. I don't know how I did it.

I can see myself googling my way through the whole thing, my creative thinking isn't what it was 20 years ago

There used to be phone lines, I got in a serious amount of trouble for calling up to get a discworld walkthrough as they were pretty expensive. Other than that you could get lucky and there'd be a walkthrough in one of the gaming mags.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

No Vita love this month with PS+, though Broforce looks kinda cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Anyone watching TWD? This weeks episode was tame enough with some good parts but it looks to be shaping up to something big for the finale :)

I'm letting about 3 or 4 episodes build up.

I was basically sick to f**king death in the last 2 seasons of every 2nd episode being "Expostition" (See: boring load of nothing going on except for poor dialogue between characters you don't care about)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Cormac... wrote: »
    I'm letting about 3 or 4 episodes build up.

I was basically sick to f**king death in the last 2 seasons of every 2nd episode being "Expostition" (See: boring load of nothing going on except for poor dialogue between characters you don't care about)

Bit like Fallout.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,952 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Yay - Gotham is back - another show on the pile to watch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Really enjoying Daredevil. Its a real grower - it seems to get better every episode.
    I've only 2 episodes left in season 1 though...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Really enjoying Daredevil. Its a real grower - it seems to get better every episode.

Thats one I couldnt really get into, I watched 2 episodes and it just didnt grab me but I will watch it again :)

I need to see a psychiatrist. This is what I read:
    Its a real growler

Memories of
    9c3a8e18-8b68-4d0e-8e21-608771d5eeec_625x352.jpg?interpolation=progressive-bicubic&output-quality=90&output-format=jpeg&resize=625px:352px

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Really enjoying Daredevil. Its a real grower - it seems to get better every episode. I've only 2 episodes left in season 1 though...

jonny24ie wrote:
    Thats one I couldnt really get into, I watched 2 episodes and it just didnt grab me but I will watch it again

Same as here. These new age superhero TV shows don't grab me at all, prefer my dramas or a more sci-fi slant.

I thought episode 1 was great, it does seem to be getting grittier as the season goes on and they've done a great job with the main villain.

I don't want to say too much, but the villain and his back story were well thought out and a nice surprise. I was expecting something really corny but they delivered a real solid story line around him.

Its nice to see a superhero story that isn't diluted down into a PC friendly version.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

PetKing wrote: »
    Same as here. These new age superhero TV shows don't grab me at all, prefer my dramas or a more sci-fi slant.

In fairness I am really enjoying The Flash and Arrow, have caught up on DC Legends of Tomorrow and its ok so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

EP 2, that hallway fight scene

Anyone else look at the X-Files mini series. Watched the last episode on Friday night.

What a cliff hanger. Mind=blown.

EP 2, that hallway fight scene

Awesome, I know it was a nod to Old Boy, but it was very well done.
    There's another great fight scene in episode 9, where he fights a guy dressed up as a ninja - that got hard to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Anyone else look at the X-Files mini series. Watched the last episode on Friday night.

Really enjoying it, great trip down memory lane. Two episodes to go.

PetKing wrote: »
    Really enjoying it, great trip down memory lane. Two episodes to go.

Favourite episodes are: the 1st episode (the last 20-15 minutes had me getting the tinfoil hat), the one with the lizard man and the last one (where I wore a tinfoil hat)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Awesome, I know it was a nod to Old Boy, but it was very well done.
    There's another great fight scene in episode 9, where he fights a guy dressed up as a ninja - that got hard to watch.

That was also epic... Looking forward to season 2

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Bought two games from Amazon recently. Plants v Zombies GW2 sent 22 February still hasn't arrived (due tomorrow) and The Division posted today and due 18 March. That courier services they use (Asendia) is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,115 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Bought two games from Amazon recently. Plants v Zombies GW2 sent 22 February still hasn't arrived (due tomorrow) and The Division posted today and due 18 March. That courier services they use (Asendia) is a joke.

My copy of the Division shipped Saturday morning but is being sent via Royal Mail. I did use Parcel Motel though.

gimli2112 wrote: »

There's a whole article on the main games forum about amazon and asendia. Consensus is avoid at all costs if it shows asendia as courier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

There's a whole article on the main games forum about amazon and asendia. Consensus is avoid at all costs if it shows asendia as courier.

Yeah I remember that. I've used Amazon before with no issues, just this time round.

I always use Parcel motel with Amazon orders. Free delivery (usually gets to them the day after dispatch) and then about €3 or something for them to deliver it down to me by the next night.

Think the division was dispatched over the weekend, so I expect Parcel Motel will have it today or tomorrow, and down to me either Tuesday evening or Wendesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I always use Parcel motel with Amazon orders. Free delivery (usually gets to them the day after dispatch) and then about €3 or something for them to deliver it down to me by the next night.

Think the division was dispatched over the weekend, so I expect Parcel Motel will have it today or tomorrow, and down to me either Tuesday evening or Wendesday.

See An Post have started their own Parcel Motel service called Address Pal. €3.50 per delivery and you pick your parcel up at your local post office.

See An Post have started their own Parcel Motel service called Address Pal. €3.50 per delivery and you pick your parcel up at your local post office.

Not looked in to it but I assume it isn't NI based - which is one of the reasons I use parcel motel - take advantage of free UK delivery. Also, I find parcel motel locations a lot handier to drop in to than the post office.

I have my parcel motel collection point in the garage I pass on the way home from work - takes me literally 1 minute extra on my commute home to stop in, collect it, and be back on the road. Would have to head into the town centre for the post office, about 20mints extra all in.

If anythign is getting delivered to the apartment and I am not in there is a local corner shop that holds deliveries so most couriers will drop it in there for me - though it means I have to buy some cereal and other crap when I go collect it! Otherwise if it is DPD that are delivering it their local depot is literally 2km from my door - so very handy collection there too.

Not looked in to it but I assume it isn't NI based - which is one of the reasons I use parcel motel - take advantage of free UK delivery. Also, I find parcel motel locations a lot handier to drop in to than the post office.

I have my parcel motel collection point in the garage I pass on the way home from work - takes me literally 1 minute extra on my commute home to stop in, collect it, and be back on the road. Would have to head into the town centre for the post office, about 20mints extra all in.

If anythign is getting delivered to the apartment and I am not in there is a local corner shop that holds deliveries so most couriers will drop it in there for me - though it means I have to buy some cereal and other crap when I go collect it! Otherwise if it is DPD that are delivering it their local depot is literally 2km from my door - so very handy collection there too.

They provide a mainland UK address and then forward it to your local post office.

I think the €3.50 is only an introductory offer until the end of march.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    They provide a mainland UK address and then forward it to your local post office.

I think the €3.50 is only an introductory offer until the end of march.

Ah right - thats not too bad so.

Still reckon Parcel Motel is handier. I would think their pick up locations are better suited for a lot of people than the local post office. PM are at loads of garages and centras, for example. PM might not be as prevalent around the country though, where there would obviously be post offices (for the time being!).

Ah right - thats not too bad so.

Still reckon Parcel Motel is handier. I would think their pick up locations are better suited for a lot of people than the local post office. PM are at loads of garages and centras, for example. PM might not be as prevalent around the country though, where there would obviously be post offices (for the time being!).

My closest PM is 20 minute drive away whereas my local PO is 2 minutes.

Wish there was one closer.

Fair enough - we aren't all as lucky as me (in terms of PM locations!).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Not far off that myself, but like Conovar use the PM in Kilmacanogue as it is on the N11 and takes only a minute on my way home.

• Advertisement

Not far off that myself, but like Conovar use the PM in Kilmacanogue as it is on the N11 and takes only a minute on my way home.

I try match it when I'm traveling that direction to collect what ever is there to save the extra journey.

New person in work who passes my PM most evenings now though so I've got her to collect my last two packages.

Advertisement