Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2016 Jan 18th - Jan 31st

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

My head hurts.:pac:

I'd agree that Azarenka could be the only one to stop Serena in her tracks. She's playing some great tennis and looks fitter and healthier. Excited to see if she could win a GS other than Aussie this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭CassieManson

whiterebel wrote: »
    I know I shouldn't rise to it, but I'm getting so irritated by the British commentators wetting them selves over Konta as if they raised her since she was an infant. How ridiculous does it look on her bio - Australian until 2012......Add in "Ex-Slovenian" Bedene, then I see that big "british" lummox from Canada - Rusedski. In a country of 60 million, do they really need to do this? I suppose the treatment we get in this country when anyone dares to do it doesn't help. Nothing to do with Saoirse Ronan, I promise:)

I find it really strange that there is no mention on the BBC website of the fact that Jamie Murray is in the semis of the doubles. In fact is now the highest ranking team left in the competition.

He really lives in his brother's shadow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I find it really strange that there is no mention on the BBC website of the fact that Jamie Murray is in the semis of the doubles. In fact is now the highest ranking team left in the competition.

He really lives in his brother's shadow!

Poor Jamie! And he was the Grand Slam champion well before Andy!!:D He's an excellent doubles player, had great hands at the net. I really enjoy watching him play...looking forward to seeing this partnership with Bruno Soares develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 PTAB93

This could be a fantastic game here between Azarenka and Kerber. Hopefully something like their match at last years US Open! Would love for Kerber to win the whole thing, but I think should she beat Azarenka, she'd be no match for Serena should she reach the finals!

Delighted for Jo, and may her form continue! :)

Hope Murray destroys Novak should they meet in the final!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Fascinating match here, as I thought it would be. It's difficult to rule against Vika coming through this in three sets, but who knows?

Imagine the motivation for Zhang and Konta if Vika loses!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Loving Kerber, hope she wins this. Azarenka is a great test.

Great match.

Wow what a game that was.

Kerber in that 2nd set was in a coffin and the clay was being thrown on top...to come back from where she was 5-2 down and Azarenka serving for the set, didn't see her winning it from there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Incredible. Azarenka must be wondering how on Earth that set got away from her. I don't think she can complain too much at the result though. For sure she made more errors than usual, but Kerber outplayed her, plain and simple. A really positive tournament for Vika, despite her earlier than planned exit, and 2016 should see her back in the top 5. Really want Kerber in the final now, hope she doesn't flop in the semi!

Won't be staying up to watch this semi, but Konta must be the favourite, particularly given the fact that Zhang has played an extra three matches in qualies.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Two interesting mens semis coming up.

I give Federer a fighting chance tomorrow, not because he's playing any better than last year (though he is playing very nicely), but because Djokovic has looked a bit mentally drained in the last two rounds.

Raonic has really surprised me, I didn't have him down as much more than a serve, but he has developed a far more credible touch than I thought was in him, and is actually breaking his opponents serve now as well.

I still think Murray will beat him, but it will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

I give Federer a fighting chance tomorrow, not because he's playing any better than last year (though he is playing very nicely), but because Djokovic has looked a bit mentally drained in the last two rounds.

Raonic has really surprised me, I didn't have him down as much more than a serve, but he has developed a far more credible touch than I thought was in him, and is actually breaking his opponents serve now as well.

I still think Murray will beat him, but it will be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Konta's been in the UK for 10 years, since she was 15. It's not from birth but it's not a case of randomly deciding to switch allegiances.

Robson was born in Australia to Australian parents (According to Wikipedia) didn't move to the UK until she was 6. She was British when she burst onto the scene at 14.

It's all relative.

No, it just means both are plastic Brits but that Robson has a better claim having spent a large portion of her childhood in Britain. By 14 you're already forming into the kind of person you'll likely always be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Wicklow Brave

No, it just means both are plastic Brits but that Robson has a better claim having spent a large portion of her childhood in Britain. By 14 you're already forming into the kind of person you'll likely always be.

Neither are 'plastic Brits' and what age 'you're already forming into the kind of person you'll likely always be' is absolutely irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,857 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

lostcat wrote: »

Id love to see Federer but I fear his old failings will resurface again.

His serve which has been so solid throughout the tournament will probably desert him and he will fail to take advantage of the numerous break points he will get.

He coasted through Wimbledon barely dropping a service game but when he reached the final he couldnt buy a first serve for large periods of it.

Obviously Djokovic is an excellent returner but its more a mental block by Federer that his serve breaks down .

Tennis needs Federer to win ,its becoming stale watching Djokovic grind his way to Grand Slam after Grand Slam.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

So for any WWE heads here, do you remember the Brock v Zck Gowan match from back in the day?

Serena v Aggie very similar.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

• Registered Users Posts: 14,857 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Rjd2 wrote: »
    So for any WWE heads here, do you remember the Brock v Zck Gowan match from back in the day?

Serena v Aggie very similar.:o

lol

I don't remember that but I do remember the 123 Kid vs Diesel or perhaps the Big Show vs Rey Mysterio or the Giant Khali vs Rey Mysterio

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Djokovic hammering Federer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ballyargus

embarassing stuff. Will be over in an hour

Djokovic easily the best player in the world - toughest mentally, best returner with a good serve.

Barring injury, Djokovic smashes Federer's grand slam record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Wicklow Brave

Tennis needs Federer to win ,its becoming stale watching Djokovic grind his way to Grand Slam after Grand Slam.

Tennis does not *need* Federer to win. Did Federer *need* to lose when he was winning slam after slam?

Djokovic isn't 'grinding' his way either. He's absolutely coasting right now.

• Advertisement

Agree with Wicklow Brave.

It is like when Schumacher was winning, I saw Schumacher as the problem, but the problem was the rest were not good enough, whether that was driver or car.
    That is where I learned to appreciate the dominant person in a sport, they are special.

Being from Kilkenny, I see some say it is bad for hurling that Kilkenny wins so much, but it is putting the blame on the successful team rather than the ones not good enough.

In tennis, Djokovic is clearly the best right right now and has been for a number of years. He deserves his success and it up to others to take the battle to Djokovic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

RobertKK wrote: »
    Agree with Wicklow Brave.

It is like when Schumacher was winning, I saw Schumacher as the problem, but the problem was the rest were not good enough, whether that was driver or car.
    That is where I learned to appreciate the dominant person in a sport, they are special.

Being from Kilkenny, I see some say it is bad for hurling that Kilkenny wins so much, but it is putting the blame on the successful team rather than the ones not good enough.

In tennis, Djokovic is clearly the best right right now and has been for a number of years. He deserves his success and it up to others to take the battle to Djokovic.

I hate that as well when people blame the dominant player or team. If there is a dominant player or team it is the responsibility of the the players and teams below to raise their standards to challenge them. This is how sports improve. Would the sports improve if everyone was at the same level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Federer will still win this.

This 6th game on the Djokovic serve is something else.

Must be longer than the 1st set :P

GSM Federer

//match

Federer will still win this.

You can't be serious.

If in a battle I would choose Djokovic. Federer has upped his game, Djokovic will be back.

RobertKK wrote: »
    You can't be serious.

If in a battle I would choose Djokovic. Federer has upped his game, Djokovic will be back.

Wait and see....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

God Federer isn't getting many hawk eye decisions.

Wins 3rd set though. Comeback is on!!!

f*cking JOKE ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

That was quite a poor game by Federer. Went 0-30 up and then missed 4 returns on Djokovic second serve.

Advertisement