Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best vendor PvP sniper:

Options
  • 13-01-2016 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I'm looking for a good sniper for Trials / IB / Crucible.

I know people swear by 1000 Yard Stare (awarded in one of TTK missions), but I've not been able to get the hang of it. I'm not sure if the aim assist very low, or what but I seem to be missing a lot of shots with it.

Would prefer a short range scope, able to res snipe in Trials.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Hey all,

I know people swear by 1000 Yard Stare (awarded in one of TTK missions), but I've not been able to get the hang of it. I'm not sure if the aim assist very low, or what but I seem to be missing a lot of shots with it.

Any ideas?

Maybe your just $hit???

:P

Can't really comment. I'm not the worlds best sniper, but when I do, I give them a 1000 Yard Stare..... to the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The gun guy sells one randomly. The Eirene 4 or something like that. Apparently you can OHK a firey Titan (you need last round or a magic bullet perk). I've used it a bit but find it kicks a lot.
    I prefer the 1000 yard stare tbh but am too a crap sniper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

There's a good TTK sniper guide here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/CruciblePlaybook/comments/3lzyc2/sniper_guide_taken_king_edition/

Knave, maybe I didn't phrase the question well enough: I'm looking for a sniper that compensates for my ****ty panic sniping! :pac:

gimli2112 wrote: »
    The gun guy sells one randomly. The Eirene 4 or something like that. Apparently you can OHK a firey Titan (you need last round or a magic bullet perk). I've used it a bit but find it kicks a lot.
    I prefer the 1000 yard stare tbh but am too a crap sniper.

I have the Aoife Rua-D and Omolon sniper - don't like either of them in PvP.
    Aoife Rua is a PVE gun and the Omolon is very low impact - you're not guaranteed a kill with 2 body shots, you're not even guaranteed a kill with 1 head shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

Hey all,

Any ideas?

The Ambush scope can be rolled on the 1000 yard stare and is a good low zoom one.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,246 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Shortgaze scope is the one you want, highest AA available and low zoom too. It's on the void 1000-YS you get from doing one of the vanguard quests.The best scope after that is the Longview imo which is on the vendor roll of the rifle, that foll is a great PvE roll.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Shortgaze scope is the one you want, highest AA available and low zoom too. It's on the void 1000-YS you get from doing one of the vanguard quests.The best scope after that is the Longview imo which is on the vendor roll of the rifle, that foll is a great PvE roll.

My 1000-YS is a void one with:

SIGHTSYS SLS20 - Very Long Distance Scope with Superb Target Acquisition.
    SHORTGAZE SLH10 - Short-range Scope, Quick to Aim.

Also has Last Resort and Firely (Got a double kill with this yesterday doing the Crucible Daily)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Vendor Antinomy XVI is lovely but you need to be able to revive snipe in Trials. Also being able to 1 hit bodyshot people who have taken a small amount of damage is very helpful too. For those reasons 1000 Yard Stare is untouchable. Vendor rolls okay on it. Luckily I rolled Shortgaze and Snapshot/Quickdraw on one I got from the Cryptarch.
    My 1000-YS is a void one with:

SIGHTSYS SLS20 - Very Long Distance Scope with Superb Target Acquisition.
    SHORTGAZE SLH10 - Short-range Scope, Quick to Aim.

Also has Last Resort and Firely (Got a double kill with this yesterday doing the Crucible Daily)

What middle tree perks? You'll want to use Shortgaze there anyway.

AdamD wrote: »
    Vendor Antinomy XVI is lovely but you need to be able to revive snipe in Trials. Also being able to 1 hit bodyshot people who have taken a small amount of damage is very helpful too. For those reasons 1000 Yard Stare is untouchable. Vendor rolls okay on it. Luckily I rolled Shortgaze and Snapshot/Quickdraw on one I got from the Cryptarch.

I have been trying to get that roll on a 1K Stare for a while now. The last 3 legendary engrams I bought from the Cryptarch have all decrypted into Havoc Pigeons :(

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

I got a random roll Antinomy XVI and used it in the last Iron Banner for a while. I really enjoyed using it because it was something different and it uses a Hakke scope, but the gun's impact doesn't compare to the 1000 Yard Stare so you can't get the revive headshots. I felt I did ok with it in normal PvP though. Plus it's a good looking gun for my New Monarchy Hunter. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

I have a 1000 with ambush, partial refund and hidden hand, I've hit more head shots with that sniper in PvP than any other, I think ideally performance bonus as second perk might be more helpful in trials.

Maybe because I've played more trials this year I've used a sniper more, maybe it's the gun because it definitely is not my improved aim that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Gunsmith had an eirene rr4 a few times, i got 1 with unflinching and luck in the chamber and 1 with LITC and Zen moment, fairly fun guns to use, like they are on rails.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yeah I picked up the RR4 recently and its alright. Only sniper ive used in the crucible is my 320 raid one. Must level up my 1000YS its only about 290 haha

Skips Rounds
    Riffled Barrel
    Mutiny

Not fantastic. Using Riffled Barrel

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

Gunsmith had an eirene rr4 a few times, i got 1 with unflinching and luck in the chamber and 1 with LITC and Zen moment, fairly fun guns to use, like they are on rails.

I got that same Eirene RR4 from the Gunsmith when LITC still worked in Crucible. Felt dirty! Body shot?? Screw that, leg shot could down someone! Decent gun but like all other sniper rifles, it doesn't seem as good as the 1000ys.

I have 3 1000ys and I've dismantled at least 2 others. The Vanguard reward one, the vendor and a random roll that has Life Support, Hand Laid Stock and Mulligan. Stability is maxed out on this roll. It's like a laser!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

The Jade Rabbit

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭CDBWhoop

The Trials sniper rifle Glass Promontory is pretty good in PvP, but it really depends on the roll. Hidden hand and Short Gaze work very well. It can drop randomly from gold tier packages or as a reward for 7 passage wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Best vendor PvP sniper!

Best vendor PvP sniper!

As in, I have 198 Marks burning a hole in my pocket :D

CDBWhoop wrote: »
    The Trials sniper rifle Glass Promontory is pretty good in PvP, but it really depends on the roll. Hidden hand and Short Gaze work very well. It can drop randomly from gold tier packages or as a reward for 7 passage wins.

Only got 2 blue engrams from my last gold reward package...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Only got 2 blue engrams from my last gold reward package...

Go to your post master, you're guaranteed an Gun/Armour/Ghost as far as I'm aware. You could have been full

Cormac... wrote: »
    Go to your post master, you're guaranteed an Gun/Armour/Ghost as far as I'm aware. You could have been full

I did get a set of 265 "Sunless ..." legs in my Postmaster. I assume that was just a random drop and not the gold package.

When I opened up the package I only saw blue engrams.

Ran it with my Warlock too and got all of the armour minus legs and the bond. Not bad for a days work.

I had all that gear for both my Warlock and Hunter in Y1, shame I have to collect it again but it's the best outfit in the game.

Hey all,

I got 2 new Snipers drop at the Iron Banner, looking for some feedback.

I've been using 1000 Yard Stare 1 for the last month but I'm finding I can't hit anything with it. If I'm even a few pixels off, than I get a miss - I'm assuming aim assist should be giving me some help here but I find this gun very unforgiving.

1000 Yard Stare 2 dropped for me last night (only 280 light so haven't used it in IB yet), but this looks exactly what I'm looking for:
    Ambush Scope, Snapshot, Firefly (Managed to score a few double kills with Firefly this IB :)).

Weyloran's March 1 also looks great (again, only 280 light so haven't used it in IB yet):
    Ambush scope, injection mold (I assume faster handling means faster aiming?), firefly.

Weyloran's March 2 - Scopes are all too long range for PvP, only useful in the Raid...

1000 Yard Stare 1:
    Scope:|Perk 1|Perk 2|Perk 3
    Hawkeye SLR15|Army of One|Speed Reload|Firefly
    ShortGaze SLH10|-|Reinforced Barrel|-
    TacSys SLS15|-|Bonus damage to Fallen Captains|-

1000 Yard Stare 2:
    EagleEye SLR20|Eye of the Storm|Quick Draw|Firefly
    ViewTac SLH20|-|Snapshot|-
    Ambush SLH25|-|Bonus damage to Cabal Centurions|-

Weyloran's March 1:
    Hawkeye SLR15|Army of One|Armour Piercing|Firefly
    LongView SLR20|-|Injection Mold|-
    Ambush SLH25|-|Reinforced Barrel|-

Weyloran's March 2:
    Sight Sys SLS20|Grenadier|Speed Reload|Firefly
    LongView SLR20|-|Injection Mold|-
    TacSys SLS15|-|Oiled Frame|-

What do people thing?
    I'm assuming ambush scope is the way to go in PvP?
    Snapshot - does this help with target acquisition?
    Based on the above, I'm going to infuse the bejaysus out of 1000 yard stare 2, tonight and give it a go in IB / Trials.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,246 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Shortgaze and Longview have the best AA (shortgaze slightly more) afaik and are generally the two best scopes for PvP imo. If you like the ambush go with the ambush though.

I've been using 1000 Yard Stare 1, with the Longview and I find it very hard to hit anything. I seem to be missing a lot of shots I think I should have landed. I know some of that is down to lag but I also find the scope very unforgiving / hard to use.

As Mick says, the shortgaze is the best scope for PvP. I have Firefly on mine too and getting double kills with one headshot is nice, especially so when they are grouped up on heavy and some are weak.

I've been using 1000 Yard Stare 1, with the Longview and I find it very hard to hit anything. I seem to be missing a lot of shots I think I should have landed. I know some of that is down to lag but I also find the scope very unforgiving / hard to use.

There's your problem. Switch to the Shortgaze scope. Much better for PvP, and much better Aim Assist.

I got a Weyloran's March to drop with shortgaze,underdog, unflinching and snapshot. Which on paper seems to be decent roll. I tried it for a few games and it just didn't click with me. I was using a 1K stare with Longview before that (which I found grand) - so maybe it will take a few more games to get used to the shortgaze scope.

One thing I don't like about the WM; is that sometimes you need 3 body shots to kill an opponent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

nevelator wrote:
    One thing I don't like about the WM; is that sometimes you need 3 body shots to kill an opponent!

Yes, it has poor impact compared to 1k stare.

• Advertisement

nevelator wrote: »
    I got a Weyloran's March to drop with shortgaze,underdog, unflinching and snapshot. Which on paper seems to be decent roll. I tried it for a few games and it just didn't click with me. I was using a 1K stare with Longview before that (which I found grand) - so maybe it will take a few more games to get used to the shortgaze scope.

PetKing wrote: »
    Yes, it has poor impact compared to 1k stare.

I got the perfect WM drop, if suppressing fire and kill assists is your thing with snipers:

Shortgaze SLH10 - Partial Refund (Chance to return some to magazine after an assist) - Mulligan

Advertisement