Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payzone

Options
  • 13-01-2016 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

My local Costcutter has put a limit of 30 euro or less
    on bill payments through payzone.
    Staff say they do not know why this new policy has
    come in.
    Does anybody know if this is now payzone or local shop policy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Its because the bank charges on your cash is more than the 19c that payzone gives the shop for processing your bill. So ultimately, the shop is losing money on that transaction. However, payzone do claim it brings customers into the store and their research shows, on average, they spend about 16 euro instore (YEAH RIGHT!)

Ring 1890 882600 and ask them, that is the number for payzone, but they probably wont give you a straight answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

Its because the bank charges on your cash is more than the 19c that payzone gives the shop for processing your bill. So ultimately, the shop is losing money on that transaction. However, payzone do claim it brings customers into the store and their research shows, on average, they spend about 16 euro instore (YEAH RIGHT!)

Ring 1890 882600 and ask them, that is the number for payzone, but they probably wont give you a straight answer.

Thanks for that.
    I tried another store and they would not topup a 3prepaid cash card,
    said something about bank charges allright.
    Could not get a straight answer from payzone.

I put on a surcharge to cover myself and they threatened to cut my machine off "due to complaints". I let em do it. I have the letter here signed by a Barry Keegan. You could ring that number and ask for him to explain it to you

1890 882600

Something similar, but in the rush to cut prices, fees are just being pushed onto the customers.

I made a payment to MBNA/AVANTCARD last week via the post office. I got charged 90 odd cent for the charges that the post office is imposing on MBNA for processing the service. At least they are upfront about it. As I mentioned in my first post. See will Payzone give you a straight answer. As per your reply - they didn't

But sure its fine - its bringing my custom into the post office and I "might buy something"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

My dad had lots of problems with a Payzone terminal too. Way too much work for little reward. I try to avoid busy shops which have Payzone terminals now as all they seem to do is form long queues.

• Advertisement

My dad had lots of problems with a Payzone terminal too. Way too much work for little reward. I try to avoid busy shops which have Payzone terminals now as all they seem to do is form long queues.

Indeed Mick, but "sure it brings people into the shop and they may buy something :rolleyes:"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Not a smart question. Just wondering why people use these things can you not do most of the things online anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Xcellor wrote: »
    Not a smart question. Just wondering why people use these things can you not do most of the things online anyway?

Despite what many think, there are considerable numbers of people who cannot pay weekly Electricity or Gas amounts online; people who need somewhere to pay M50 tolls, parking, etc.

Despite what many think, there are considerable numbers of people who cannot pay weekly Electricity or Gas amounts online; people who need somewhere to pay M50 tolls, parking, etc.

I'm probably generalising a bit but from what I see they're not the type of person a convenience store is ideally looking to for custom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm probably generalising a bit but from what I see they're not the type of person a convenience store is ideally looking to for custom.

Sorry, I don't get that at all. I don't use Payzone myself but know people who made weekly payments through them and buy newspapers, bread, cigarettes etc

• Advertisement

Well like Scousemouse my family had a Payzone terminal in a convenience store. They saw very little sales of consequence from people who used the service. Cigarettes, newspapers parhaps. Elderly and/or low income people who were a bit too cost conscious for a Spar shop.

Advertisement