Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Value Quality Whey

• 13-01-2016 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just before I pull the trigger on my usual whey order thought I try and find out is there better value out there thesedays. Usually I do the research, decide on a product and then keep reordering it. But goal posts do obviously change over time so no harm rechecking.

Anyway about to order ON Gold standard whey at a cost of 58E including postage for 74 24g servings. This works out at 78c for serving for what is supposedly good quality whey. 24g seems fine for me, happy with that amount as a serving.

Anything much better value than this around ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Yes there's better value whey. Much better.
    http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10530943.html?switchcurrency=EUR

38c per serving of 25g (5KG bag), and that's the chocolate flavour.

(I'm just having my coffee so I make no apologies if I've screwed the math)

EDIT: Apparently 25% off right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

In terms of cost - for whey protein with the same level of protein content (~80%) - you have:

2kg from The Protein Works at €43.16 and 54c/serving (25g serving w/ 20g protein; or 2.7c per gram of protein)

2.5kg of Pure Whey from Bulkpowders at €44.94 and 54c/serving (30g serving w/ 24g protein or 2.25c per gram of protein)

2.5kg of Impact Whey from MyProtein at €46.34 and €46/serving (25g serving with 21g protein or 2.2c per gram of protein)

Those prices include delivery. They don't include special offers on at the minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I would advise you not to buy at full price from any of the bulk suppliers, sign up for their newsletter and wait a week or two. You will definitely get some sort of discount code I would say - 20% is very common. TPW have 25% of at the moment for example.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Buying whey is like buying Ben & Jerry's in the supermarket... You never buy at full price!

Bulkpowders have buy 1 get 1 half price with NYRHP

Myprotein have 25% off with PROTEIN25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate it. Saved me a pile of research which I would most likely have not done. And as I'd been going through a tub of gold standard a month, this should end up in a few extra bob in the pocket.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    Yes there's better value whey. Much better.
    http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10530943.html?switchcurrency=EUR

38c per serving of 25g (5KG bag), and that's the chocolate flavour.

(I'm just having my coffee so I make no apologies if I've screwed the math)

EDIT: Apparently 25% off right now.

Read quite a few of the reviews and looked at the ingredients of different flavours and ended up going unflavoured. Got the discount but paid a little postage and payapal supplement.

So 52.16/200 = 26c and great value !

Papu had done a more comprehensive spreadsheet with more brands etc - which I found but the link no linky no more - but it still broke down to those few being the best value per gram of protein.

Read quite a few of the reviews and looked at the ingredients of different flavours and ended up going unflavoured. Got the discount but paid a little postage and payapal supplement.

So 52.16/200 = 26c and great value !

I'd rather take a small protein% hit and have chocolate than have to drink unflavoured. It becomes a bit of a chore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I'd rather take a small protein% hit and have chocolate than have to drink unflavoured. It becomes a bit of a chore.

I used to mix unflavoured with some drinking chocolate powder. It added to the sugar content obviously until, like you, I just decided flavoured was the way forward!

If when added to water the taste is much like water I wont have too much of a problem with it. If however the taste is a bit rough will add milk or juice and if this doesn't work will know for next time.

Unflavoured only had 2 ingredients where as some of the others had a whole list of extra things and it was more the "what is it" than the protein hit that nudged me towards unflavoured.

• Advertisement

Unflavoured is definitely an acquired taste... cold water helps

Also just throwing it in a blender with a frozen banana and a drop of milk is magical

Yeah I learned to live with the auld blended banana trick when I had unflavoured.

Here's the thing, though: when you factor in the price of a banana, surely you're better off getting flavoured whey anyway? The banana is diluting the protein percentage too y'know.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Counter that with...wanting to eat more fruit. A nice cocktail of B6 , C, manganese, fiber, serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine. I find it hard to get the amount of fruit I want to eat without blending tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Papu had done a more comprehensive spreadsheet with more brands etc - which I found but the link no linky no more - but it still broke down to those few being the best value per gram of protein.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wkVeLBsHOvvU3RP15t-LzP507dn5iWIcVtMzBcMpvhY/edit?usp=sharing

Weird it went missing. I blame Google.

Prices updated n all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

If you mix unflavoured with cordial like I do, you can have berry/ orange/ tropical flavoured protein if you want to change every day.

It's cheaper, has a higher protein content and I love the variety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

I always go for unflavored as every time I buy protein it comes from different company. I found out in the past as I'm sure you too that the strawberry flavored protein taste different depending where it comes from and in some cases it's undrinkable. So unflavored is safe bet and you can make your flavors if you like just by adding fruits.
    The only one unflavored protein I could not stomach was made of peas. :)
    But getting back to the topic always shop around. Bulk powders, my protein, go nutrition etc. Always have some deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

conzy wrote:
    Also just throwing it in a blender with a frozen banana and a drop of milk is magical

When bulking sure. When cutting that's like half a meal.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    When bulking sure. When cutting that's like half a meal.

Agree. But when cutting I will typically avoid liquid calories altogether and just eat more meat and yogurt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I don't think there's a better flavour than Rhubarb 'n Custard. I've only had MP version but I can't wait to get through my strawberry to get back at it. Never gets old.

I don't think there's a better flavour than Rhubarb 'n Custard. I've only had MP version but I can't wait to get through my strawberry to get back at it. Never gets old.

I'm not sure if that's sarcasm or not? I couldn't stomach it after a few days. Actually gave the rest of it to papu who may still have it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

No. I think it's class!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Has anyone tried these ones from Holland and Barrett? If so do you think they're good taste/price wise? I've never used whey protein before so any advice would be appreciated!

Current deal is 908g tub of any flavour x 2 for €55.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=760&prodid=565&cid=141

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

scdublin wrote: »
    Has anyone tried these ones from Holland and Barrett? If so do you think they're good taste/price wise? I've never used whey protein before so any advice would be appreciated!

Current deal is 908g tub of any flavour x 2 for €55.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=760&prodid=565&cid=141

Taste will be very similar to any other same flavour, but its probably some of the most expensive whey protein you could buy.

Use myprotein or bulkpowders , and get it for half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

papu wrote: »
    Taste will be very similar to any other same flavour, but its probably some of the most expensive whey protein you could buy.

Use myprotein or bulkpowders , and get it for half the price.

Thanks! I just saw your price breakdown in a previous post. Really helpful, so cheers for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jr1984

this thread helped me too, will go with myprotein 25% off cant go wrong.

Will revive this thread as I have the same question a few years on.

Been buying regularly from myprotein following recommendations here but have noticed that in the last couple of years 5kg of unflavoured impact whey has gone from under 50 to almost 70.

In spite of this are they still the best value out there or has someone else (that I'm not aware of) moved in and upstaged them ?

Just found bulk.com which seem very competitive. Anyone else use them ?

And if so am I correct in assuming no issues with delivery (duty) ?

Just found bulk.com which seem very competitive. Anyone else use them ?

And if so am I correct in assuming no issues with delivery (duty) ?

Used to be Bulk Powders. Much the same as MyProtein.

Any issues seem to have been ironed out. I got €42 worth of stuff and no issues with additional charges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

This discount code has been a game changer for using MyProtein - DOMIMYP (47% off) works on non-sale/RRP prices sitewide.

DOMIMYP "Dominique Asgeirsdottir 47% off!"

To save everyone googling..."Dominique Asgeirsdottir is a model and a female fitness expert. She also has a major presence on the internet and fulfills her role as a fitness ..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Saudades

Patsy167 wrote: »
    This discount code has been a game changer for using MyProtein - DOMIMYP (47% off) works on non-sale/RRP prices sitewide.

What's the situation with customs/vat when ordering from myprotein after brexit?

Is it an additional cost upon delivery, or do myprotein take care of that on their side before shipping?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Fluffy101

Saudades wrote: »
    What's the situation with customs/vat when ordering from myprotein after brexit?

Is it an additional cost upon delivery, or do myprotein take care of that on their side before shipping?

Ordered last week or so... no additional costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Iguarantee

Saudades wrote: »

Just to echo what the last poster said; I ordered 2.5kg of isolate last week, received it 2 days later, zero extra or hidden costs.

It's been that way for my last few orders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

Yes, myprotein has definitely got its act together now...hard to beat from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Gavo_8

I got a code for 35% off on Bulk. https://referme.to/laoiset-7
    I ordered in Jan and there was a delay but seems to of been sorted since then. No additional charges and my order was €60.

Cole wrote: »
    Yes, myprotein has definitely got its act together now...hard to beat from my experience.

I made an order on the 8th, got no updates. I mailed them a few days ago, they said they'd look into it. This morning it arrived in the country. So they certainly don't seem to have their shit together. Waiting over two weeks for a small order. No further communication offering an explanation or apology.

Also I was asked to fill in a missing order form, the link to which gives a 404. In their reply I was told to check my account's message centre to reply - such a thing doesn't appear to exist and the link they give for it gives a 404, too. Pretty much a total mess so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

myprotein have a 50% off sale and also go my previous order that i placed last week delivered today

i think the couriers uk side and customs are part of the issue with the delay in deliveries

The internet isn’t for everyone

Advertisement