Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Vs Arsenal - BT sport 1

• 13-01-2016 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

u3hwGkB.jpg

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/matches/2015-2016/epl.match-preview.html/liverpool-vs-arsenal

Match preview

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has warned his players they are in for a "ferocious battle" at Anfield on Wednesday as Liverpool's recent injury crisis begins to ease.

The Barclays Premier League leaders travel to Merseyside on the back of a 3-1 win over Sunderland in the FA Cup, while they have not lost against Liverpool in the last four matches between the sides.
    The fixture is one of the competition's more traditionally entertaining contests, with the last nine top-flight meetings between the clubs at Anfield producing 35 goals.

Arsenal will hope their recent record against Liverpool can help continue a fine run of form that has brought three straight victories in all competitions, while Wenger's men have been beaten just once in their past 10.
    But the Frenchman issued a word of warning to his side as Arsenal seek to keep their title challenge on track.

"Momentum creates confidence and that's vital at this level," he told reporters. "Overall, in December and January we have been consistent and that's important as we go into an important part of the season with many big games.

"Consistency is a good basis for belief. Every time we go to Anfield we face a team who are up for it and it's always a ferocious battle.
    "[Liverpool manager] Jurgen Klopp has the personality to do well there, I don't think you can explain their injuries by the intensity of [Klopp's] game. [The challenge we face is] to play our game at a good pace but we are used to that pressing. It is not just Liverpool who do that."
    Wenger is able to welcome back midfielder Tomas Rosicky (knee) for the encounter, while back-up goalkeeper David Ospina (groin) could return to the squad. But Alexis Sanchez (hamstring), Danny Welbeck (knee) and Jack Wilshere (ankle) are still out.

Klopp has been dealing with an injury crisis that forced him into naming an entirely changed XI for their 2-2 FA Cup draw at League Two Exeter City on Friday, and he has signed Queens Park Rangers centre-back Steven Caulker, who had been on loan at Southampton this season, to ease their concerns in defence.

Klopp continues to be without Martin Skrtel, Dejan Lovren and Philippe Coutinho (all hamstring). But the Reds are hopeful of having centre-backs Kolo Toure and Mamadou Sakho (knee) available, while Jordon Ibe, Jordan Henderson and James Milner could also feature as Liverpool seek to end their inconsistent recent top-flight form.

The fixture is part of a tough double-header with rivals Manchester United set to visit Anfield on Sunday, and Klopp has urged his side to stand up and be counted.

"It's always a big challenge to play against clubs like Arsenal and Manchester United," he said. "But we have shown a plan against good footballing teams.
    "We have to make good decisions in the right moment. We are looking forward to these games."

Liverpool (from): Bogdan, Mignolet, Clyne, Jose Enrique, Flanagan, Ilori, Lovren, Moreno, Skrtel, Toure, Allen, Can, Henderson, Ibe, Lallana, Lucas, Milner, Ojo, Teixeira, Benteke, Firmino, Sturridge.

Arsenal (from): Cech, Ospina, Bellerin, Chambers, Debuchy, Gabriel, Gibbs,
    Koscielny, Mertesacker, Monreal, Arteta, Flamini, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ozil, Ramsey, Rosicky, Campbell, Giroud, Walcott.

Match Appointments
    Referee: Mike Jones Assistants: G Beswick, A Garratt Fourth Official: R Madley
    Match Facts
    - Only Manchester United (21) have secured more Barclays Premier League wins against Arsenal than Liverpool (16).
    - Liverpool v Arsenal has seen more hat-tricks than any other fixture in BPL history (5).
    - The last nine league meetings between these clubs at Anfield have seen 35 goals scored (3.9 per match on average).
    - Liverpool have scored 22 goals in their 20 league fixtures so far this season; the lowest tally after 20 matches of any league campaign.
    - Mesut Ozil has either scored or assisted 16 of Arsenal’s last 24 league goals (three goals, 13 assists).
    - Alberto Moreno has created more goalscoring chances than any other Liverpool player in the BPL this tern (39) and is also the most creative defender in 2015/16.
    - Arsenal have scored the first goal of the match on 14 occasions in the league this season; more often than any other team.

I'm going for a 1-0 Liverpool win (Lallana) :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Hoping for a LFC win, but expecting Arsenal to shade it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Predicted Liverpool line up anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Maybe this :

Mig

Clyne Caulker Sakho Moreno

Milner Lucas Can

Lallana Firmino

Benteke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Maybe this :

Mig

Milner Lucas Can

Lallana Firmino

Benteke

And I assume Arsenal will be like this

Cech

Bellerin Mert Koscielny Monreal

Flamini Ramsey

Walcott Ozil Campbell

Giroud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Really looking forward to this game tonight.

Liverpool win their next 2 games and theyre right back in the mix for a top 4 finish and I reckon they will do it too.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Wouldn't surprise me if Liverpool win tonight and Sunday but then get 1 point from the next 3 games.

Saying that though, I can't see a Liverpool win tonight. I'll plump for an optimistic 1-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Pool always raise their game so expecting a tough battle but I would be disappointed if we lose. Pool have an even worse injury list than Arsenal atm.

Will Sturridge be fit or is that a stupid question these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Arsenal really should be winning this one. I hate Anfield games though. We couldnt buy a win there for a long time but recently we've been better.

1-2, Campbell to score the winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Drexel wrote: »

Will Sturridge be fit or is that a stupid question these days?

I have no idea what Luckycharms is smoking, no Sturridge will not be in the squad tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Maybe this :

Mig

Milner Lucas Can

Lallana Firmino

Benteke

Pretty strong considering the injuries. Mig, Clyne, Sakho, Moreno, Milner, Can, Firmino all definitely first choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Ill take a win.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'll be surprised if Sakho starts, although I expect he'll be on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

AdamD wrote: »
    Pretty strong considering the injuries. Mig, Clyne, Sakho, Moreno, Milner, Can, Firmino all definitely first choice.

I'd imagine it's more to do with the depth as well. 7 main starters and a weakish bench ?

Have a feeling Arsenal's injuries and unconvincing performances recently could catch up tonight. Hopefully not though.

I have no idea what Luckycharms is smoking, no Sturridge will not be in the squad tonight.

hahaha I was lazy & stole it from the Premier league website
    Thats what happens when you dont check your facts :P

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/matches/2015-2016/epl.match-preview.html/liverpool-vs-arsenal

5starpool wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me if Liverpool win tonight and Sunday but then get 1 point from the next 3 games.

Saying that though, I can't see a Liverpool win tonight. I'll plump for an optimistic 1-1.

I will be over there on Sunday, so I'm praying for a win vs the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Arsenal by 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Easy for Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

A very hard game to call. I'll go with a two one arsenal victory, with giroud to open the scoring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

On paper should be an easy win for Arsenal you currently have probably the best team in the league against currently one of the worst
    But games arnt played on paper thank god and hopefully Liverpool can avoid defeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

On paper should be an easy win for Arsenal you currently have probably the best team in the league against currently one of the worst
    But games arnt played on paper thank god and hopefully Liverpool can avoid defeat

A bit OTT there?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

5-1 again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

murpho999 wrote: »
    A bit OTT there?

You're not getting his gimmick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

2-2 I think.

A point at Anfield, could be worse. Though this game could potentially end up 4-0 or 0-4 either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Arsenal win for me , 2-0 . Should be a good game tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Moreno top creator of chances for Liverpool and most creative defender 2015/16 and yet people hate to see him in the squad.
    Clyne is solid enough at the back but no great shake going forward and yet I never hear a word against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Moreno top creator of chances for Liverpool and most creative defender 2015/16 and yet people hate to see him in the squad.
    Clyne is solid enough at the back but no great shake going forward and yet I never hear a word against him.

Mistakes going forward generally don't go unpunished, mistakes at the back do.

No doubting who the better attacking fullback is but clyne has been like a rock so far. Call me old fashioned but I like my defenders good at defending first and foremost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

rob316 wrote: »
    Mistakes going forward generally don't go unpunished, mistakes at the back do.

No doubting who the better attacking fullback is but clyne has been like a rock so far. Call me old fashioned but I like my defenders good at defending first and foremost.

You're a traditionalist just like me Rob.

I like my beer cold, my tv loud and my homosexuals flaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think the injuries Liverpool have will make it very difficult for them to step it up against Arsenal. I'm going for a 2-0 away win.

• Advertisement

As Michael Owen would say "win, lose or draw there will be a result here"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Luckycharms on thread duty?

We're fecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Because Clyne can actually defend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Because Clyne can actually defend.

But our full backs are meant to be providing width and a threat going forward, so Clyne is really only fulfilling half his brief, like Moreno is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this is genuinely all about Arsenal.

if they match the Liverpool press, and trust their men out wide, they'll win.

if Wenger is naive, and just tries to tip-tap his way through the centre, i think he'll be playing into Klopp's hands.

my prediction is that he'll actually be naive, and Liverpool will win 2-1. And I'm never optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

But our full backs are meant to be providing width and a threat going forward, so Clyne is really only fulfilling half his brief, like Moreno is.

I don't think Moreno is doing all that much going forward. Gets into some decent positions alright but doesn't really put a good ball in most of the time or just hangs onto for too long and gets dispossessed. The chances created thing is an empty stat IMO. Stewart Downing was very near the top of that as well before Liverpool signed him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Liverpool have only scored more than 1 goal in a premier league game 4 times this season ( Chelsea,City,West Brom & Villa), awful stat, I think it stays at 4 after tonight. I also think Arsenal will score so I think the best we can hope for here is a 1-1 draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Hoki wrote: »
    Liverpool have only scored more than 1 goal in a premier league game 4 times this season ( Chelsea,City,West Brom & Villa), awful stat, I think it stays at 4 after tonight. I also think Arsenal will score so I think the best we can hope for here is a 1-1 draw.

I dont think that counts for a lot. Southampton are in a horrendous run of form but absolutely destroyed us. If Arsenal arent at the races tonight we can easily ship goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

SlickRic wrote: »
    this is genuinely all about Arsenal.

if they match the Liverpool press, and trust their men out wide, they'll win.

if Wenger is naive, and just tries to tip-tap his way through the centre, i think he'll be playing into Klopp's hands.

my prediction is that he'll actually be naive, and Liverpool will win 2-1. And I'm never optimistic.
    He's been tactically good in big away games the past two years. I hope Wenger lets Liverpool have plenty of the ball, which will open them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

I fancy Arsenal to hand us our arses to be honest. I don't like the look of the defence, Moreno is a walking liability. I don't hold out much hope.

I don't think Moreno is doing all that much going forward. Gets into some decent positions alright but doesn't really put a good ball in most of the time or just hangs onto for too long and gets dispossessed. The chances created thing is an empty stat IMO. Stewart Downing was very near the top of that as well before Liverpool signed him.

I agree, he's quick and tenacious but he doesn't offer a whole lot of end product. Our 2nd choice LB, Brad Smith has a much better cross of the ball, something that would probably benefit our standing statue up front more.

I like Moreno though, but he has been at fault for many goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Not going to lie, I'd take a win right now if you offered it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Easy for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Moreno couldn't cross his legs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

kfallon wrote: »
    Moreno couldn't cross his legs!

Nobody appreciates a good bit of humour as much as myself, but in fairness to Stevie Alonso he's created more chances than any other Liverpool player this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Moreno's a good player but he needs to get his positioning and decision making sorted out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Arsenal have been good against the bigger teams this season, don't see that changing here. 2-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I fancy Arsenal to hand us our arses to be honest. I don't like the look of the defence, Moreno is a walking liability. I don't hold out much hope.

Very much depends on the first goal imo, if Arsenal get the first they can sit and pick you off like they did to City.

If Liverpool press effectively and can make Arsenal come at them then there will be huge gaps in the midfield of Ramsey & Flamini, especially with the wide players probably being Walcott & Campbell.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Liverpool 1-2 Arsenal. Liverpool to lead but give it away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

If arsenal have their balls with them they'll win this comfortably. Liverpool with their struggling lineup should be easy pickings.

Unless arsenal do a bayern and completely surrender which wouldn't surprise me. Getting close to February now when they usually collapse.

Still think arsenal will score 2 or 3. Which will make it 2 1 or 3 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Liam O wrote: »
    Arsenal have been good against the bigger teams this season, don't see that changing here. 2-0.

So why did you say Liverpool to win 2-0 ? :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement