Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashbourne or Rathoath

Options
  • 13-01-2016 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm hoping to move to either Ashbourne or Rathoath in the next few months but have yet do decide on which one. I have a few questions that i was hoping that fellow boardies could answer for me please.

1. What are the schools like generally ?? I have an 8 year old who's currently in 2nd class in a gaelscoil so that would be my preference. I believe there are a couple in Ashbourne. Are they well established ?? I'd be interested to hear from parents of children in the school. Also, is there one in Rathoath ?? We'll also be looking for an afterschool service too - preferably one that will drop to school as well?? Any recommendations ??

2. what's the public transport like? I currently work in the IFSC so i believe the commute time is approximately 50mins to an hour which is the same as what i do now. However, is there an express bus service from either town that would be quicker than driving?

3. I've only heard good things about both towns but i'm wondering if there are any areas i should avoid. I plan to live wherever we move to for a very long time so i want to make sure i've done my research. I have a young daughter and i want to move somewhere that she can make friends with our neighbors and play outside. I know you can have horrible neighbors anywhere but i'm trying to cover all the bases - or as many as possible :o

Finally, i've seen some nice new builds in both towns also - anyone have any opinion on any of them ??

I know that's alot of questions but i'd appreciate any comments on any of them. Thanks in advance

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fiona

Ashbourne purely for transport reasons, especially with the new changes being implemented with the 103 / 105 bus route.

I can't comment on the schools as I have no children but nice estates are Churchfields (friends there) and Brindley Park (used to live there)

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Ashbourne is excellent for transport to Dublin.

However, a friend of mine is in Ashbourne now and is hoping to move to Ratoath before her child starts school in a couple of years.
    She lives in Churchfields.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Would you not consider Dunboyne? Gaelscoil, great area and a train into IFSC every 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Clairebear21

Hi there, I live in Ratoath. Currently selling my house to move to a bigger one in Ratoath. My next door neighbours children go to the Irish school on Ashboune and she knows other families in Ratoath who use the Irish school in Ashboune.
    Like you, we couldn't decided on either Ashourne or Ratoath when we moved here 10 years ago and I'm so delighted we managed (boom times) to buy a house in Ratoath.
    Everything you need is only a short trip away in Ashboune.

Hi there, I live in Ratoath. Currently selling my house to move to a bigger one in Ratoath. My next door neighbours children go to the Irish school in Ashboune and she knows other families in Ratoath who use the Irish school in Ashboune.
    Like you, we couldn't decided on either Ashourne or Ratoath when we moved here 10 years ago and I'm so delighted we managed (boom times) to buy a house in Ratoath.
    Everything you need is only a short trip away in Ashboune.
    Ps. I've excellent neighbours in the estate that I live in, that I'll miss very much. If you do decide on Ratoath and want advice then I'll let you know which estates to avoid 😉

• Advertisement

My neighbour used a childminder that dropped and picked her kids up from the Gaelscoil in Ashboune. My son goes to St Paul's and it's a really brilliant school.

I got the 7am bus this morning from Ratoath and it took 50mins into town. I usually drive in at 5.30am, so sorry I can't be of more help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

Hey all,

Thanks for all the info so far ... I'm in the very early stages of looking so all information is greatly received !! I'm not ruling anywhere in or out just yet - I'm going to be a complete blow in so I've a completely open mind !!

I suppose the main thing is the school - as i said, my preference is the Gaelscoil but that will depend if they have a place available. I'll look into childcare then and after those two are sorted it'll come down to commute time and distance and of course a nice area.

So keep the info coming if possible ... It's all helpful.

Thanks again

A

PS ... I just noticed that i spelled Ratoath wrong in the thread title - Not a good start:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

There are two Gael spoil in ashbourne - Gael spoil na Cille and Gael Scoil na Mi. The latter is newer and has less students. They are both quite good from what I've heard but no personal experience experience.

On the public transport as well as bus Eireann, the ashbourne connect serves both ashbourne and Ratoath although I think it's more frequent through ashbourne. Does a different route to the 103 so might be useful depending on where you work. Details on their Facebook page.

Ashbourne probably has more facilities than Ratoath (supermarkets, chemists etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    Would you not consider Dunboyne? Gaelscoil, great area and a train into IFSC every 30 mins.

I guess op has but prices are higher.

Check Dunshaughlin too - similar distance to town than Ratoah and Ashbourne. Good Irish school and we'll connected to town by bus due to being in the Navan-Dublin route.

By the way, may I ask if you are looking go buy or rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

Lived in Ashbourne for 10 years and would recommend, people were lovely, lots of facilities. I have an apt there that I rent. Commuted to Dublin for 9 of those years, handy enough, more expensive that Dublin bus but also more comfortable. I moved when my second child was born as apartment living was small then however I do miss and we think we will go back in time. Have friends in Ratoath but they travel over to Ashbourne for shopping and sending the kids to school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

Galego wrote: »

By the way, may I ask if you are looking go buy or rent?

I did think about renting for a year maybe but the rent prices are so high so I intend to buy. I know it's risky buying in an area your not familiar with but I'm hoping with a bit of research that it'll be ok 😬😬

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

Rent is quite high in Ashbourne and it's scarce too which keeps it up. They sell well too, I toyed with selling ours but haven't fully decided. Do you know people in either town?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 madsun

Hi, I know this is an old thread but have few similar questions and didn't want to duplicate.

We are considering buying one of the new houses in either Millbourne or Church Fields in Ashbourne. I would appreciate any opinions about these two neighborhoods. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

madsun wrote: »
    We are considering buying one of the new houses in either Millbourne or Church Fields in Ashbourne. I would appreciate any opinions about these two neighborhoods. Thanks in advance.

I'm also interested in these 2 estates :)

Advertisement