Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quest Glendalough

Options
  • 13-01-2016 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Anybody signed up for this?

http://questglendalough.com/

I'm aiming to do the 57km route with training kicked off this week.

The bike routes would be familiar with most cyclists who spin around the Wicklow mountains.

It's a little more expensive than some of the other races, but coming from Dublin the cost of getting there is a lot cheaper than the likes Gaelforce, for me anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Yep...I'm signed up. Really looking forward to it. Was sad to see the demise of the Wicklow Adventure Races so this will be a nice replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Yeah, totally agree. I'd plans to do War last year and Hellfire again so this is a solid alternative.
    I think I'll ditch the SPDs pedals too, and keep my trail shoes on full time.

Jk_Eire wrote: »
    Yeah, totally agree. I'd plans to do War last year and Hellfire again so this is a solid alternative.
    I think I'll ditch the SPDs pedals too, and keep my trail shoes on full time.
    Same...too much hassle changing especially given there are 3 bike sections

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Looks interesting, never done an adventure race before but looks a good one to kickstart the triathlon year.

I assume it's road bikes with trail shoes all the way yeah? What do people wear for this type of race?

Road bike and trail shoes for me anyway.

I've only done a couple of adventure races, but cycling shorts, under running shorts on bottom, and cycling jersey on top (for pockets) does it for me. The cycling sections are short enough, so I won't both with bib shorts for comfort.

I'd imagine the more serious competitors would go with tri suits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

thinking of signing up. Need to get fit though....how strenous would the middle option be? I've done 10k's in like 47 minutes but it was a couple of years back. Never done much trail running....

thinking of signing up. Need to get fit though....how strenous would the middle option be? I've done 10k's in like 47 minutes but it was a couple of years back. Never done much trail running....

Tough enough, but 10km in 47 mins is a decent time.
    A few training long cycles and regular running will get through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Jk_Eire wrote: »
    Road bike and trail shoes for me anyway.

I've only done a couple of adventure races, but cycling shorts, under running shorts on bottom, and cycling jersey on top (for pockets) does it for me. The cycling sections are short enough, so I won't both with bib shorts for comfort.

I'd imagine the more serious competitors would go with tri suits.

Tri suits lack pockets (I think) Dessie Duffy always wears one though and he wins a lot.
    The pockets in a cycling jersey should comfortably hold all the mandatory kit.
    Sprinters shorts or those triathlon swimming shorts are good to wear too. Full cycling shorts with a chamois would feel a little like overkill on all those runs.

There are loads of transitions so I would think many people will wear trail shoes all day and use flat bike pedals with straps.

If you are much much stronger on the bike than you are running it starts to make sense to wear spd's for the cycling as they will save your calves a little more due to the position of the foor on the pedal axis. (as compared to most toe-cages, I think, again)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mmrs

Hi, I've signed up for this race. It will be my 1st race like this. I've done many runs and a few long cycles. Looking forward to it.

Would people generally have a backpack/bumbag for holding the mandatory kit? I don't carry anything when running except my keys in my hand. I'm not sure about carrying the kit in my cycling jersey in case I get too warm and need to remove it.

Thanks for any advice.
    Roll on April 23rd!

When I first started doing adventure races, I used to carry a backpack but it bounced around a lot and definitely slowed me on the running sections. Nowadays, I try to leave as much food/energy bars/gels on the bike and just keep my mandatory kit in the back pocket of a cycling jersey. 2 bottles of water/electrolytes on the bike too is generally enough to get around without the need to top up.

• Advertisement

Signed up over the weekend.
    Good advice on stuffing all the kit into the cycling pockets. It probably sounds like a lot more than it actually is on paper.
    Full cycling shorts with a chamois would feel a little like overkill on all those runs.
    There are cheap ones with a light chamois so I reckon I'll get away with + give me a little extra comfort on the uphills cycle which I reckon will by my strongest sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

mmrs wrote: »
    Hi, I've signed up for this race. It will be my 1st race like this. I've done many runs and a few long cycles. Looking forward to it.

Would people generally have a backpack/bumbag for holding the mandatory kit? I don't carry anything when running except my keys in my hand. I'm not sure about carrying the kit in my cycling jersey in case I get too warm and need to remove it.

Thanks for any advice.
    Roll on April 23rd!

I usually get somebody on the start line to safety pin my kit into the pocket of the cycle jersey to stop it jumping around or falling out on the run descents

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    mmrs wrote: »

Thanks for any advice.
    Roll on April 23rd!

I usually get somebody on the start line to safety pin my kit into the pocket of the cycle jersey to stop it jumping around or falling out on the run descents
    Great idea...thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mmrs

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll try the cycling jersey.

Sold out now according to the website!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

If anyone has a spare entry they are not using can they get in touch as didn't get an entry.

Mods - official swap

Thanks

trihead wrote: »
    If anyone has a spare entry they are not using can they get in touch as didn't get an entry.

Mods - official swap

Thanks
    There is a cancellation list
    http://questglendalough.com/register/

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭saltrock2007

Hi guys,

I tried to register today but its sold out, any ideas what forum might be the best for spare entries?

Hi guys,

I tried to register today but its sold out, any ideas what forum might be the best for spare entries?

There's a waiting list on that link I posted above
    Please note: Quest Glendalough is now SOLD OUT. If you would like your name placed on a waiting list, please fill out the short form below:

Raging I missed out on this, serves me right for procrastinating as usual, have put my name on the waiting list anyway and will train toward the 57km course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭micar

I added my name to the cancellation list - expert race

Anyone know what the chances of getting a place?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Yeager101

Got an unwanted ticket there. Was going to get a mini ticket for fiancé also but that's the same price. We both agreed €85 for that is pretty steep. These run events are making a fortune. Good event though and they seem to be putting on a good spread for the runners

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Cycled the bike loop there yesterday. It's a great loop, if you like climbing that is :)
    Four climbs, the two biggies - Shay Elliott and Slieve Maan - then there are also two other biggish climbs, one up to the CroaghanMoira Run and then a nasty steep kicker when you leave the Greenane crossroads.
    On the bright side all the descending is pretty fast with only one tight right over a bridge after the CroaghanMoira run.
    So many transitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

I have a ticket for the longer distance I wont be using. How do I go about sticking it up for sale here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

hi,

I would be interested in swapping your entry. You can message me through the site to arrange.

Thanks

Trihead

Not looking for a swap to be honest as I am injured, just looking to sell thanks

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    I have a ticket for the longer distance I wont be using. How do I go about sticking it up for sale here ?

Can I have it?

I guess first person who agrees to give me the €90 I paid for it gets it, Hope I am not breaking and rules of the forum doing that.

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    I guess first person who agrees to give me the €90 I paid for it gets it, Hope I am not breaking and rules of the forum doing that.

Just sent you a pm. However it's not registering as being sent.

• Advertisement

10% off any of the Quest Adventure Series Races using code: QA2016

Advertisement