Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quest Glendalough

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    Not looking for a swap to be honest as I am injured, just looking to sell thanks

hi BUACHAILL

I meant swap your entry for cash.
    I pm'd you yesterday but not sure if you received it?
    Can you let me know

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Sold to Micar.

Apologies trihead I picked it up that you were looking to swap races.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Recce'd the 3 runs today and drove the full cycle route...it is going to be one tough race!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

fletch wrote: »
    Recce'd the 3 runs today and drove the full cycle route...it is going to be one tough race!

What's the road surface like up there? Are racing tyres or Gatorskins more suitable?

• Advertisement

Fairly potholed and gravely in sections...I'd go with the Gatorskins.

Shyte anyway. Was the answer I was expecting but not praying for

I'm not really a "proper" cyclist though...just a commuting cyclist so perhaps others would disagree. I'd much rather carry the few grams/increased rolling resistance of the Gatorskins than go through the trauma of a puncture repair mid race....
    I'll be on my commuting flat bar racer with Schwalbe Marathon Pluses which weigh an absolute ton. :eek:

Edit - Peterx has cycled the route so perhaps he could comment on suggested tyre choice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

The cycling is all on tarred roads (I think) so any tyre should be fine, once in good condition. Gatorskins should be more puncture resistant then race weight bike tyres and fixing a puncture will cost any chance of a place unless you are Tim O'Donohue.
    I will probably have a new set of GP4000's (mainly as I have them in the spares box in the shed) otherwise I would be using the 25mm wide Gatorskins that are always on the bike.

It's a tough course, I would be more concerned with staying hydrated and fuelled to be honest as opposed to tyre choice. You have 5 stages out on the course before (presumably) returning to the same bike rack as the start which will be the first time to get more liquid on board. If the end of stage 5 is not back at the start bike rack you will be heading out on a tough stage 6 with the thirst - with another run looking hard, plenty of contour lines to climb..

I must find out if stage 5 finishes at the start area.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Good call on that water, they seem a bit vague at the moment on their FAQ.
    Is there any water available along the route?
    The exact locations of water stops will be highlighted on the map given to you at registration. You will be required to carry water with you for the duration of the race. There will be water available at: – Bike Transition area

Hopefully that means a couple of stops.

I'll be riding on Schwalbe Durano Plus's. I find just as good for protection as Gatorskins, but with more grip and a smoother ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Have been training for this the last two months. It's my first type of this race. Have no idea where I will be at. I got roped into signing up for the 57k.

Have been running a good bit doing 46 minute 10k and got my 5k down to just over 21 minutes. As for cycling have been doing a good deal of spinning and been out on the bike twice doing 35k up and over howth (and back up through the village).

Finding the cycles fine averaging 24kpmh (via strava) over a 85 minute period including the climbs.

No idea though how all this is going to piece together on the day. Really looking forward to it. Haven't done a cycle/run combo yet.

1. How would the climbs compare to howth (from village side), obv longer but for gradient?
    2. Should I start doing longer runs like a 15k or longer cycles like 60k?
    3. How long do people reckon the 57k will take?

Cheers and see you up there!

Try get a few trail runs in before the race if possible. Definitely try do a few run/cycle/run or cycle/run/cycle sessions in too

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

Is there a profile of the cycle available anywhere (57k)

cantwbr1 wrote: »
    Is there a profile of the cycle available anywhere (57k)

On this strava spin the QUEST Glendo cycling is from approximately kilometre 3.8 to kilometre 43.1 (from the GAA pitch back to the GAA pitch) giving a distance of ~39km with ~900m of climbing in 4 sectors:

Shay Elliott - 250m in 5km
    Slieve Maan - 320m in 4km
    To Croghanmoira - 170m in 3km
    Up from Greenane - 145m in 3km (steep kicker to start)

https://www.strava.com/activities/522321396

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Do you know what the 41k cycle is like, what sections of the above strava link are on it? Thanks.

AdpRo wrote: »
    Do you know what the 41k cycle is like, what sections of the above strava link are on it? Thanks.
    Just did a quick route up in Garmin Connect for you...think I got it right
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/12015085

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Just did a quick route up in Garmin Connect for you...think I got it right
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/12015085

Thanks for that, doesn't look too bad apart from the 5k or so, I will try and get down there beforehand for a look even if it's just to drive it! It that the Shay Elliot climb?

AdpRo wrote: »
    Thanks for that, doesn't look too bad apart from the 5k or so, I will try and get down there beforehand for a look even if it's just to drive it! It that the Shay Elliot climb?
    Yes the initial climb is Shay Elliot

Wave Times just announced

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Enduro

Wave Times just announced

Is the Kevin Keane in the expert class the rather good Triathlete, or a name duplicate, does anyone know? PeterX?

• Advertisement

Enduro wrote: »
    Is the Kevin Keane in the expert class the rather good Triathlete, or a name duplicate, does anyone know? PeterX?

For the sake of the pride of the chap I do hope it is KvK and not a mere name duplicate.
    And if it isn't KvK I hope the other fella doesn't look at boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

I'm looking for a spare entry for the long course if anys knocking about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

First time doing an adventure race, really looking forward to it now (57k).

Just a couple of questions you might be able to help me with.

1. Pacing. No idea how to pace myself for something like this. I'm off in wave 2. Have been doing a good bit of running (some up hills) and some cycling up around howth. I will complete it alright but not sure how fast to go out? Been running 45 minute 10ks and averaging 23/24km on the bike on 30-40km bike rides. Knowing myself, I'll probably go out too hard and fast, but just wondering if anyone has any tips?

2. Hydration. So I have my bag with the water thing in it, but should I load up on water before the race? Reckon I will carry 2 litres and have a bottle on the bike as well. No idea if that's too much or not enough but that's what I'm bringing.

3. Finally, what the hell will I wear. I have a light rain Mac and normally just run in tshirt and running shorts. Have been cycling in those too and there has been no issues. Should I wear one of those base layers underneath, but was worried that I'd be too warm. Or do people just play it by ear and decide when they get there judging the weather?

4. As for these Japanese baths at the finish, how does that work! Do you jump in with your 3.5 hours of crudd stuck to you?

See you all up there

I'm no expert but I've done a few adventure races now
    1. Pacing. No idea how to pace myself for something like this. I'm off in wave 2. Have been doing a good bit of running (some up hills) and some cycling up around howth. I will complete it alright but not sure how fast to go out? Been running 45 minute 10ks and averaging 23/24km on the bike on 30-40km bike rides. Knowing myself, I'll probably go out too hard and fast, but just wondering if anyone has any tips?
    Go out nice and easy...you kind of have to anyway as it starts off with a climb up Shay Elliot. It's a long day and it will be much nicer if you conserve your energy and pass people in the later stages than have wave after wave of people passing you in the latter stages. Take it really easy on the first run too, try not to get carried away...you will thank yourself later.
    2. Hydration. So I have my bag with the water thing in it, but should I load up on water before the race? Reckon I will carry 2 litres and have a bottle on the bike as well. No idea if that's too much or not enough but that's what I'm bringing.
    I will be hydrating 3 days beforehand on electrolytes. I will have 2 water bottles on the bike, one filled with electrolytes and another with an energy drink. I'll probably also bring a small water bottle with my that I can carry on the running stages...I'm not sure if there will be water stations to refill the small water bottle though.
    3. Finally, what the hell will I wear. I have a light rain Mac and normally just run in tshirt and running shorts. Have been cycling in those too and there has been no issues. Should I wear one of those base layers underneath, but was worried that I'd be too warm. Or do people just play it by ear and decide when they get there judging the weather?
    Kinda still early days to say exactly but I'll be wearing lycra/compression shorts so it doesn't matter if they get wet and then a cycling t-shirt (I'll keep the mandatory kit in the back pocket)...I'll also have a light windproof jacket with me that I store in a small bum bag/belt....hopefully I wont need it but it can get cold on the bike so handy to have.
    4. As for these Japanese baths at the finish, how does that work! Do you jump in with your 3.5 hours of crudd stuck to you?
    I think so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 CHLuke

Hi all, I have an entry for Elite class and unfortunately unable to participate. If anybody is interested in taking entry (at cost),send me a message.
    Thanks
    CHLuke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

CHLuke wrote: »
    Hi all, I have an entry for Elite class and unfortunately unable to participate. If anybody is interested in taking entry (at cost),send me a message.
    Thanks
    CHLuke

CHLuke when you say entry for Elite what do you mean??
    Ill PM you...

http://questglendalough.com/race-info/
    When do I collect my race pack?
    All compeitiors must collect their race pack in one of the following locations:
    Thursday 21st April, 1pm to 7.30pm – The Great Outdoors, Chatham St, Dublin
    Friday 22nd April, 4pm to 10pm – The Glendalough Hotel, Glendalough, Wicklow
    There is no facility to collect race pack on the morning of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BeBetter

I think they're just doing it to annoy you at this stage Enduro :)

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/world-of-sport/the-worlds-most-testing-adventure-race-lands-in-glendalough-next-week/74217

All that nonsense aside I'm really looking forward to the race!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Enduro

BeBetter wrote: »
    I think they're just doing it to annoy you at this stage Enduro :)

It's working :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

Does anyone know if the cycling jersey is included in the registration pack or is it at finish line?

Also if anyone is interested in a sports distance entry give me a shout.

Advertisement