Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Card Question

Options
  • 13-01-2016 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi all,

I currently have a medical card which is due to expire in September, I however have an MRI scan in late October, will my MRI be free or will I have to pay as I will no longer have my medical card (and won't qualify for a new one as my income has increased). My MRI will be conducted publicly.

Thanks for any guidance in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Sorry, but:

Why in hell would you even begin to think that there may be even a slight hint of a possibility that a Medical Card that expires in September would entitle you to receive ANY services in October?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

An MRI as a public patient will be free, it doesn't require admission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

Sorry, but:

Why in hell would you even begin to think that there may be even a slight hint of a possibility that a Medical Card that expires in September would entitle you to receive ANY services in October?

You need to relax!! The OP only asked a question. No need to be like that:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭clairek6

Sorry, but:

Because they had one when they were referred?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭enoughalready

Thanks to those who provided helpful and informative information, I won't waste my time and energy on the negative response. Have a great day and thanks again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Lots of people with medical cards are afraid of the costs associated with hospital procedures if they no longer have a medical card. Public care is mostly free, there is a €75 per night charge if you are admitted. This is capped at €750 per family per year and doesn't apply to maternity services. Additionally if you don't have a medical card and attend A+E you will have to pay the €100 charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭trishabon

I waited for 2 years after referral...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just seeing this. I'll ignore the negative nonsense.

Firstly you'll be informed well in advance if your medical card is being reviewed. You don't mention your circumstances as to why you have or are entitled to a medical card so it's quite possible your MC will be renewed. You can actually check online by setting up an account.

Normally your MC, if extended for another year will be extended long before expiry date. Mine is extended from January even though expiry date is March each year. I do have a number of diagnosed illnesses requiring medications.

More specifically to your OP, as your MRI was arranged based on you having a Valid MC at the time of appointment & is happening on a month after your current card expires, even if not renewed, it's highly unlikely you'll be charged for the Scan.

Good Luck.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement