Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork WAR

Options
  • 13-01-2016 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

Cork Waterfront Adventure race: corkwar.ie

Looks like a pretty cool race and also on my doorstep so I will more than likely be signing up to this. Anyone got any info on it as I'm sure this is its first year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Cona wrote: »
    Cork Waterfront Adventure race: corkwar.ie

Looks like a pretty cool race and also on my doorstep so I will more than likely be signing up to this. Anyone got any info on it as I'm sure this is its first year?

Judging by the image on the homepage:

FP_Back.jpg

I'd be wondering exactly what sort of tunnels are they talking about :eek:
    This is a mixed sport adventure race like none you will have ever done before encompassing cycling, running, kayaking, adventure trails, underground tunnels, historic forts and we’ve even thrown in a few surprises! So prepare to see parts of Cork City & County like you have never seen or experienced them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Part of the bike course is down Coach hill, lol, hope you have good brakes or even disc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

sconhome wrote: »
    Judging by the image on the homepage:

FP_Back.jpg

I'd be wondering exactly what sort of tunnels are they talking about :eek:

Not sure where you are based, but I am originally from Cork and I am very familiar with Fort Camden which is the 'tunnels' they are talking about. they are indeed Tunnels...it is like a hidden prison or something down there. There is also very steep steps (around 200) which you will have to go up. I expect it will be absolutely grueling at that point but mighty craic. Its years since I was around Camden fort...really looking forward to it

Cona wrote: »
    Not sure where you are based, but I am originally from Cork and I am very familiar with Fort Camden which is the 'tunnels' they are talking about. they are indeed Tunnels...it is like a hidden prison or something down there. There is also very steep steps (around 200) which you will have to go up. I expect it will be absolutely grueling at that point but mighty craic. Its years since I was around Camden fort...really looking forward to it

Ah no doubt, I'm jesting that it looks like she was crawling in the sewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Donal_in_Cork

There are two different races...

Race 1.
    A short race of 40km which is running from the Marina to Passage West, cycle to Ringaskiddy, Kayak to Spike, Run on Spike, with an obstacle course, Kayak back to Ringaskiddy and bike back to the Marina, along the path of the old railway line.

Race 2.
    A longer race of 75km which is running from the Marina to Passage West, cycle to Ringaskiddy, Kayak to Spike, Run on Spike, with an obstacle course, Kayak back to Ringaskiddy and bike to Crosshaven (Camden Fort), Run the tunnels and bike back to the Marina via Leacht hill and along the path of the old railway line.

And for both races there'll be a small surprise element at the end.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Is it an unfortunate name for the event, WAR, considering the events that used to happen around Wicklow until recently? Same organisers, coincidental, lack of research or hoping to be associated with the Wicklow ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JacEim

I've signed up for this also. Noticed that its a corporate events company who are running it - not sure if they have any experience of running events like this. My only other AR this year is Gaelforce West in August - so it's great to have an event local in Cork that doesn't require a weekend away!!

Route looks very interesting - with the obstacle course on Spike and the Camden tunnels. The runs should be nice as they are by the water, but the bike sections won't be terribly interesting...

I wonder how many will sign up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JacEim

I've signed up for this also. Noticed that its a corporate events company who are running it - not sure if they have any experience of running events like this. My only other AR this year is Gaelforce West in August - so it's great to have an event local in Cork that doesn't require a weekend away!!

Route looks very interesting - with the obstacle course on Spike and the Camden tunnels. The runs should be nice as they are by the water, but the bike sections won't be terribly interesting...

I wonder how many will sign up ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Have also signed up for this. I expect it will be a bit easier than some of the other adventure races I've done like Killarney, due to the flat run section and reasonable cycle. Still should be good craic. I expect decent numbers based on the social media activity. Not sure about the organisers here though...

Good few of us in the tri club doing the elite. Should be a good laff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

I wonder what the surprise at the end will be. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

Got an email yesterday saying this was now postponed due to weather conditions affecting the transition points and now not being suitable for use. Anyone have the inside track on this? Should I be worried?

lame excuse and aload of bull. If it was really that bad then put down carpet or that flooring used at some concerts. Ive been at many races where the transition is a muck fest. Funny this is, their poster girl is covered in muck!

Anyone get their refund yet?
    Haven't received anything yet myself.

Puibo wrote: »
    I wonder what the surprise at the end will be. Any ideas?

It being cancelled seems to be a bit of a surprise.

My money has been refunded so at least there is that.
    Pity, it could have been a good event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shanahan

Is anybody else still waiting for their refund?
    I still haven't got mine yet.

Shanahan wrote: »
    Is anybody else still waiting for their refund?
    I still haven't got mine yet.

still waiting also!

Shanahan wrote:
    Is anybody else still waiting for their refund? I still haven't got mine yet.

Tbh I had forgotten about it! Thanks for reminding me!!

Has anybody heard anything from Dc Events? I've been trying to contact them the last two days about the refund but they are not picking up the phone!

Probably off spending the cash that they've stolen......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Karenhen

Contacted them again today and after multiple attempts got a reply .... The jist of it being - sorry but it didn't work out the way we hoped and oh ya sorry we aren't in a position to refund you your money!
    Zero accountability and no follow-up - great business model!

Karenhen wrote:
    Contacted them again today and after multiple attempts got a reply .... The jist of it being - sorry but it didn't work out the way we hoped and oh ya sorry we aren't in a position to refund you your money! Zero accountability and no follow-up - great business model!

Can you tell me what number you called if you don't mind please?

I'm hoping if people put pressure on them they will have to pay out.

Advertisement