Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acceptable amount of noise in the mornings

Options
  • 13-01-2016 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I would really appreciate some views on the following.

My girlfriend and I live with another couple - let's call them Jack and Gill.

We have very early starts and leave the flat at 0615.

To get to the door of our apartment we need to walk down the hallway, put on our shoes and leave. Jack and Gill's room is located near the exit door and the shoe-rack.

We were never noisy to begin with because (a) we have an en-suite room so brush our teeth there (we don't shower in the mornings) and (b) do not have breakfasts in the morning - my gf blends her smoothies in the evenings and leaves them in the fridge to pick up on her way out. I eat at work.

In total we are in the "common spaces" in the flat for no more than 5 minutes on any given morning. We are conscious that there are people sleeping and because of previous requests, keep our voices and communication to a minimum (not that we would be having extensive chats at that forsaken hour as we are trying to get out of the flat on time!).

Yesterday evening Jack approached me and asked that we keep the noise down in the mornings (for approximately the third time since we've been living together for the past 5 months). He said that he heard me calling out to my gf with a raised voice that morning - what actually happened was that I walked back into our room and asked her in my normal conversation volume/voice to get a move on as we would miss the train. He also said that we wake him up approximately 3 three time a week.

To give you more context, Jack has amongst various other things (a) asked me to leave the milk in the side of the fridge and not inside as it may spill and (b) last week he asked us not to use our current clothes horse which we use in the spare bedroom because it is big and bulky and he tripped over it and hurt his elbow on a chest of drawers. He suggested that we purchase a new clothes horse like the one Jack and Gill have. I could write a very long list of similar requests that we have had from him. Neither my gf or myself have asked anything of Jack or Gill - we are quite relaxed and reasonable people - always pay our rent and bills, clean after ourselves etc.

I have held off having a conversation with him about these things because I know Jack well and there would be a strong chance that he would say something inflammatory and I would lose my temper and there would be a massive falling out. We don't need this right now because my gf has enough on her plate with a 60hr a week a job and a masters with essay submissions to boot and a falling out will just escalate her (and my!) stress levels!

I also don't want to fall out with Jack because we have been reasonably good friends since the age of 10 (we are now 28).

My gf and I don't want to live there anymore and would much rather live by ourselves - our lease ends in August and we can well afford to live by ourselves (much more so than Jack and Gill). If we were to leave before the lease ends, it would cause conflict - I would say that at least 66% of the items in the flat that make it a home belong to my gf and me. They would struggle and it would cause them serious inconveniences.

Can somebody please tell me how all this sounds to an objective person?

Many thanks.

S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Only have your side of it but Jack sounds like he's a light sleeper and a bit of a pedant.

Time to move tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Jack sounds like a nightmare. Move out. Take your stuff. It's not your problem if they are inconvenienced as long as you act decently about it.

Assuming your side of the story reflects the reality, they will get a rude awakening when new people move in

• Registered Users Posts: 34,969 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you stay there are going to be more issues in the long run than if you move out I'd imagine.

I was in a similar situation before living with an extremely pedantic couple. We decided to stick it out. Ended in a blazing row and huge amounts of conflict. Should have just moved out once we saw how utterly irritating they were to live with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

5 months gone, 7 to go. with only 3 complaints in 5 months, that sounds very acceptable. Don't take his snipes to heart. Instead, think of them as conversation openers. Convince yourself that maybe he had nothing else to say and used that as way to break the ice. Have your girlfriend forget to make smoothie the night before at least once a month, to insure he knows what real noise in the morning sounds like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Snatchy wrote: »
    I have held off having a conversation with him about these things because I know Jack well and there would be a strong chance that he would say something inflammatory and I would lose my temper and there would be a massive falling out.

This bit struck me. Are you seriously saying that your conflict resolution skills are so poor that you will lose your temper if you speak to him about it? You cant live with people you cant have a reasonable conversation about minor conflicts with!

In saying that, I wouldnt be arsed living with people like them myself (eh, earplugs Jack?) and if the above is all true then Jack and Gill are going to have complete meltdowns when new people move in - but unfortunately for Jack - you cant have it every way. Had he not needled you over insignificant nonsense so often you wouldnt have moved out - and Id be telling him that categorically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

If your side of the story is indeed representing the reality of it, jack sounds like a right pain to live with.

OP I know it is a bit late now, but living with friends can be become a bit of a nightmare sometimes, as you really do not know somebody proper until you live with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

One of the many unwritten rules of renting never live with friends or relatives it's just not worth the hassle ,
    Did you take out the lease together or did one move in later

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Snatchy

Thanks for the responses so far. I am confident in saying that my side is accurate. We have not said a single thing to him about his needling.

I've known him for 18 years but my gf has known him for just over a year - she's really upset by it because she's not at all used to this kind of atmosphere; one of the more serious "requests" has lead her to tears. It's pretty much unbearable atm.

Both my gf and I have had many flat-shares with friends in the past and have never had these issues.

All four names are on the lease unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Start planning to move out in August.

Let Jack and Gill know of your plans as soon as you feel appropriate, so they can arrange for someone else to move in and also to replace the furniture that you will be taking with you.

If they ask why you are moving out, just say that you feel uncomfortable with the requests that have been made and you feel it would be easier to maintain the friendship whilst living separately.

Thanks for the responses so far. I am confident in saying that my side is accurate. We have not said a single thing to him about his needling.

I've known him for 18 years but my gf has known him for just over a year - she's really upset by it because she's not at all used to this kind of atmosphere; one of the more serious "requests" has lead her to tears. It's pretty much unbearable atm.

Both my gf and I have had many flat-shares with friends in the past and have never had these issues.

All four names are on the lease unfortunately.

Sub-let.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,142 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Source yourselves some alternative accommodation in time for the end of the lease, then move into it.

Their financial pressure or inconvenience by not having access to your property, is not your problem.

Your relationship with your girlfriend and both of your contentment are the only priorities here.

Happy moving day.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭browne_rob5

Maybe you could approach him and say that you don't think that you and your gf can be any quieter in the morning and with that being the case it may be better for all parties if you found somewhere else to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

If ye can comfortably afford your own place it has to be the way to go. Sounds like he is being very unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I think your room mate is being a total tool.
    by the sounds of it you are trying not to make noise.
    you cant control the hours because you need to go to work. . what does he expect you to do.
    you are entitled to use the space a lot more than you do.

plan to move in august
    if most of the contents are yours I would make a list when they are not there so that you can make sure you get everything.

just to prove your point I would "accidentally" make some noise on one morning just to show what noise is. maybe get your gf to ring your phone . leave it upstairs or in your room while your in the kitchen or loo. a few rings and vibrations will make a big rackuette just for effect give out to the person on the phone for ringing at that hour and waking up your poor room mate

Start making the smoothies and taking showers in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Sounds like your flat mate/friend is being an ass.. You shouldn't live with friends as such they are fine but like you never know what they are going to be like living with them.. Everyone has their thing but in fairness it sounds a bit much like he wants to rule the roost..

I would give my notice and tell him ye are moving out

Hi guys,

To get to the door of our apartment we need to walk down the hallway, put on our shoes and leave. Jack and Gill's room is located near the exit door and the shoe-rack.

S

Can you exchange rooms until you move out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Do you remember that ad i think it was for bank if Ireland mortgages where your man comes home after work and there is another guy on the couch with his really annoying girlfriend.

Your description makes me think you are in that ad!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If Jack and Gill are going to struggle when you leave, then they will struggle no matter whether that's in August or sooner.

Have a man-to-man with Jack. Tell him what's p*ssing you off, and say you want him and Gill to move out earlier, or to change his behaviour.

If you really are friends, then he will accept this.

If he does takes it like a teenager and says inflammatory stuff, then he's not worth having as a friend and you'd be better off to cut your losses and make a new friend. (They're easier to find than new gf or even new apartments!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

how long os a piece of string? For years I rented a room in my house, first when I was single then after I married initially. We had singles and couples share with us including a single mother and baby. In all that time I never had an issue with noise even though I work shifts so could be sleeping during the day, etc. I also always shower before going to work so sometimes that could be 5 or 6am and again, not a songle person every said I woke them.

My sister on the other hand is an incredible light sleeper, every tenent she has is according to her, very noisy in the morning and on the occasions I stayed with her, was also accused of being unreasonable noisy.

My point is, if you have to tip toe out the door then your living with someone who would hear a pin drop and that wont change. Could you swap rooms so you are closer to the kitchen and door in the morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Dont take it to heart. Suggest putting in draught excluder's under the door (in my experience they do reduce noise). This is a positive statement and shows that you've heard his complaint and are actively working with him to improve the situation.

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=34882

If he continues to be unreasonable then just explain its not working out.

So, acknowledge complaint, try to resolve, then tell to fcuk off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Also, ear plugs

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

keane2097 wrote: »
    Also, ear plugs

even though they work, theyre feckin annoying to sleep with

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

We have very early starts and leave the flat at 0615.

Consider swapping rooms.
    We are conscious that there are people sleeping and because of previous requests, keep our voices and communication to a minimum
    Respect works both ways; are they quiet as a mouse in the evenings?
    He said that he heard me calling out to my gf with a raised voice that morning - what actually happened was that I walked back into our room and asked her in my normal conversation volume/voice to get a move on as we would miss the train.
    Tell him to get earplugs.
    To give you more context, Jack has amongst various other things (a) asked me to leave the milk in the side of the fridge and not inside as it may spill and (b) last week he asked us not to use our current clothes horse which we use in the spare bedroom because it is big and bulky and he tripped over it and hurt his elbow on a chest of drawers.
    The poor baby. Tell him to make sure the light is on next time he goes into the room.
    Neither my gf or myself have asked anything of Jack or Gill - we are quite relaxed and reasonable people - always pay our rent and bills, clean after ourselves etc.
    .... and it sounds like they are tightly strung.
    We don't need this right now because my gf has enough on her plate with a 60hr a week a job and a masters with essay submissions to boot and a falling out will just escalate her (and my!) stress levels!
    It sounds like she'll have a lot less stress if you didn't live with them, if you could talk in the morning, and not have to creep around like mice.
    I also don't want to fall out with Jack because we have been reasonably good friends since the age of 10 (we are now 28).
    You'll fall out the moment he gets new people to share with, as he sounds the sort who'll blame you for the new peoples noise, as you moved out, tbh.
    They would struggle and it would cause them serious inconveniences.
    Tough sh|t; if he wants peace and quite, he can pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Tramping about a house yakking at 06:30 is pretty offensive behaviour, the owner of the house would do better with more responsible tenants who get up a reasonable hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gothic_doll

Jack is a light sleeper.
    He might have a nice surprise when he gets new tenants as everyone has their own level of consideration for others, and to be fair you both sound very considerate.

Kettles, microwaves, showers, hairdryers, chats, music or tv going- all typical morning things for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I am Jack's overly sensitive ears

tumblr_maoccrTrLr1qmn3fxo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,365 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Jack and Gill sound like people that really should be living on their own!

Life is far too short to be tiptoeing around in the mornings, using hand signals and afraid to turn on a tap.

If you can stick it out till August, well done you. But I'd be making plans to get out of there ASAP.

In the meantime, I'd certainly be having a conversation about it - and just keep your temper, ffs. You're all adults. Sounds like you're doing all that's humanly possible to be quiet in the mornings - make sure he knows that. (IMO you're going above and beyond, but maybe that's why I live on my own :D)

How Jack and Gill react to you leaving is really their problem (one of).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Tramping about a house yakking at 06:30 is pretty offensive behaviour, the owner of the house would do better with more responsible tenants who get up a reasonable hour.

Best part of the day and a reasonable time to be up and about.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Best part of the day and a reasonable time to be up and about.

Horrible part of the day that no one should have experience imo and most people are not up that early.

In fairness to the op I think he is really making an effort and there isn't much more he can do, I am regularly woken at between 6 and 7am by my housemate and he makes no such effort even with ear plugs he wakes me up at times and that taking into account he doesn't even use the shower in the morning just making noise around the house in general. It drives me insane I don't get up until 8:30 at the earliest and its seriously disturbing my sleep being woken up 2.5 hours earlier than I should. Imo before 8am people should treat it like 1am on the other side of the spectrum (again which the op is doing), I'm often still up at this time and would be really making an effort to keep noise to a minimum (well I've stopped caring as much now as I'm getting woken early so tough luck on my house mate why should I keep so quiet when he doesn't in the mornings).

Advertisement