Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Conor McGregor on €1 coin

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Yes .... Because when people think Of Ireland they think of a new MMA fighter....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

the worst thing about it is the fact that its even getting before the oireachtas for consideration . who the fcuk comes up with this ****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Katie Taylor

2005 European Amateur Championships Tønsberg, Norway 1st 60 kg
    2006 European Amateur Championships Warsaw, Poland 1st 60 kg
    2006 World Amateur Championship New Delhi, India 1st 60 kg
    2007 European Amateur Championships Vejle, Denmark 1st 60 kg
    2008 European Union Amateur Championships Liverpool, England 1st 60 kg
    2008 World Amateur Championship Ningbo, People's Republic of China 1st 60 kg
    2009 European Union Amateur Championships Pazardzhik, Bulgaria 1st 60 kg
    2009 Russian Multi-Nations event St. Petersburg, Russia 1st 60 kg
    2009 European Amateur Championships Mykolaiv, Ukraine 1st 60 kg
    2010 European Union Amateur Championships Keszthely, Hungary 1st 60 kg
    2010 World Amateur Championship Barbados 1st 60 kg
    2011 European Union Amateur Championships Katowice, Poland 1st 60 kg
    2011 European Amateur Championships Rotterdam, Netherlands 1st 60 kg
    2012 World Amateur Championship Qinhuangdao, China 1st 60 kg
    2012 Olympic Games London, United Kingdom 1st 60 kg
    2013 European Union Amateur Championships Keszthely, Hungary 1st 60 kg
    2014 European Amateur Championships Bucharest, Romania 1st 60 kg
    2014 World Amateur Championship Jeju, South Korea 1st 60 kg
    2015 European Games Baku, Azerbaijan 1st 60 kg

Nobody outside of Ireland knows who she is except the literal 50 to 60 women in the world who compete in her weightclass. None of them could sell out an arena either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

they never put the Great O'Donnell and the great O'Neill on their euro coins for the 400th anniversary of the flight of the earls, I refused to visit south since then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭dinorebel

c_man wrote: »
    That deer we used to have on the punt. Bring him out of retirement.
    I agree McGregor would be too deer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

The_Banker wrote: »
    John Charles McQuaid

This man has been largely forgotten in this Godless ireland.
    And rightly so, no place for animals in modern Ireland

I would put different faces of Irish heros on the coins, we are boring compared to other countries. All we have is the harp across the board. Each coin should be different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

Tabnabs wrote: »

He gets a bad press and he instilled fear in politicians and the general populace but at least ireland back then was a safer than it is today and that was broadly down to the firm hand by which John Charles held the Irish community.
    They were simplier times, but happier times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

The_Banker wrote: »
    He gets a bad press and he instilled fear in politicians and the general populace but at least ireland back then was a safer than it is today and that was broadly down to the firm hand by which John Charles held the Irish community.
    They were simplier times, but happier times.

They were in their hole. Nostagia and ignorance don't make up for systematic abuse and cover up. The elimination of Church involvement in state affairs will be the turning point. Schools are next. Can't wait.

• Advertisement

Would never have worked.

I mean, the average completely brain dead 21 year old who loves beards, tattoos, fighting and Bobby Sands would love it.

But someone with half a brain would eventually have pointed out that a racist shouldn't be on our currency.

And his rantings about entering favelas and killing and enslaving was racism at its purist, based on the subjugation of Latin Americans by the white man. Not that his fans spotted it...but they are MMA fans I guess...

What makes McGreggor so important over other sporting heroes throughout history?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

I think they should put the harp from the guinness logo on the €1 coin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Ruu wrote: »

Jaysus that clip was about 60% "eeeh", with the occasional "aah" thrown in for good measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

"Yeah, I think we should go for some fella who jumps around in his underpants.."

"No objections then?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

What makes McGreggor so important over other sporting heroes throughout history?
    that he ha a sense of humour and is right now laughing at people losing their minds over this!!

• Advertisement

that he ha a sense of humour and is right now laughing at people losing their minds over this!!

Does he?

The only stuff I know is calling a German a "Nazi" and referring to the colonisation of Brazil by Europeans. Oh and his "look at me suit, me threads, me lovely threads, ya pussy, ya bitch" routine.

Could you link any of his funny stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Definitely would not like to See Conor McGreggor on an Irish Coin. It would not be round or wide enough anyway to fit his massive ego head.

Would never have worked.

I mean, the average completely brain dead 21 year old who loves beards, tattoos, fighting and Bobby Sands would love it.

But someone with half a brain would eventually have pointed out that a racist shouldn't be on our currency.

And his rantings about entering favelas and killing and enslaving was racism at its purist, based on the subjugation of Latin Americans by the white man. Not that his fans spotted it...but they are MMA fans I guess...

More race-based banter than outright racism to be fair.

Ditch the presumptions about MMA fans as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

who would i put on it..?/

Uncle Dinny, has to be :D

RWCNT wrote: »
    More race-based banter than outright racism to be fair.

Ditch the presumptions about MMA fans as well.

Banter?

Nonsense!

A European Caucasian telling Brazilians that he would have entered their shanties, on a horse, and killed and enslaved their people is the epitome of racism. There is no "but sure 'twas only racism for the craic" excuse.

My presumption about the fans of scobe boxing is not racist. Though you may disagree with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Katie Taylor

2005 European Amateur Championships Tønsberg, Norway 1st 60 kg
    2006 European Amateur Championships Warsaw, Poland 1st 60 kg
    2006 World Amateur Championship New Delhi, India 1st 60 kg
    2007 European Amateur Championships Vejle, Denmark 1st 60 kg
    2008 European Union Amateur Championships Liverpool, England 1st 60 kg
    2008 World Amateur Championship Ningbo, People's Republic of China 1st 60 kg
    2009 European Union Amateur Championships Pazardzhik, Bulgaria 1st 60 kg
    2009 Russian Multi-Nations event St. Petersburg, Russia 1st 60 kg
    2009 European Amateur Championships Mykolaiv, Ukraine 1st 60 kg
    2010 European Union Amateur Championships Keszthely, Hungary 1st 60 kg
    2010 World Amateur Championship Barbados 1st 60 kg
    2011 European Union Amateur Championships Katowice, Poland 1st 60 kg
    2011 European Amateur Championships Rotterdam, Netherlands 1st 60 kg
    2012 World Amateur Championship Qinhuangdao, China 1st 60 kg
    2012 Olympic Games London, United Kingdom 1st 60 kg
    2013 European Union Amateur Championships Keszthely, Hungary 1st 60 kg
    2014 European Amateur Championships Bucharest, Romania 1st 60 kg
    2014 World Amateur Championship Jeju, South Korea 1st 60 kg
    2015 European Games Baku, Azerbaijan 1st 60 kg

The petition was about as serious as Katie Taylor's level of opponent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Would never have worked.

Wow I just looked up those references, I'm totally appalled, how had he got away with saying some of the stuff he has? How had the Irish public en masse accepted this man as a hero?
    I guess if they can get on board with worshiping someone who is declared a champion for beating a man who's just slipped around the head anything is possible. 😕

Wow I just looked up those references, I'm totally appalled, how had he got away with saying some of the stuff he has? How had the Irish public en masse accepted this man as a hero?

It was disgusting.

I have heard a few say "it was promoting a fight". As if there is some exemption where someone is racist to sell tickets for a show. "Roll up, roll up n*****s, lick the boots of the white man".

He is a complete scumbag. In fairness to many of his supporters, I suspect they don't support the racism but it's a bit over their heads either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

That's just trash talking, he'll say anything to get under the skin of an opponent and big up a fight. Ali was the same.

That's just trash talking, he'll say anything to get under the skin of an opponent and big up a fight. Ali was the same.

But if Ali used racism, then he was using racism.

To say "I was racist to get under someone's skin" is a defence that could be used by every other racist. They use racist terms precisely to get under someone's skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Xaracatz wrote: »
    Jaysus that clip was about 60% "eeeh", with the occasional "aah" thrown in for good measure.

That video just confirmed what I long suspected: Richard Boyd Barrett is very sound.

It was disgusting.

I have heard a few say "it was promoting a fight". As if there is some exemption where someone is racist to sell tickets for a show. "Roll up, roll up n*****s, lick the boots of the white man".

He is a complete scumbag. In fairness to many of his supporters, I suspect they don't support the racism but it's a bit over their heads either way.

I haven't heard these things reported in the Irish press either though or heard anyone else before yourself repeat them. I can appreciate there might be those for whom it goes over their head but there's plenty media there always to pick up on it...or so you would think .Or are we still the type of people to overlook anyone said or done by institutions or people we hero worship.
    "if this was another time I'd ride into his favela and kill anyone not fit to work ".
    Offensive on so many levels, not only racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

But if Ali used racism, then he was using racism.

To say "I was racist to get under someone's skin" is a defence that could be used by every other racist. They use racist terms precisely to get under someone's skin.

Christ, you're such a whinge bag, with all due respect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Mr Tayto should be on it reading the bunreacht na heireann by a turf-lit fireside as he looks nostalgically out his west-cork window at a time he murdered black and tans for stealing his cheese and onion recipe

Ali was 40 - 50 years ago, now if you want to talk trash you don't drag whole ethnicities,racial backgrounds, financial groups into the equation. I hope our standards arent so slow as to find racism grand as long as it's in the name of entertainment. Where the hell does that end?

• Advertisement

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Christ, you're such a whinge bag, with all due respect

Laughing at your "I can't deal with the issue, so I'll just get personal and shove 'with all due respect' after it" effort!

Banter?

Nonsense!

A European Caucasian telling Brazilians that he would have entered their shanties, on a horse, and killed and enslaved their people is the epitome of racism. There is no "but sure 'twas only racism for the craic" excuse.

My presumption about the fans of scobe boxing is not racist. Though you may disagree with it.

Tbh I was taking the piss when I posted that. I remember being absolutely shocked when I first heard the press conference where he made that remark. I was quite surprised at the lack of backlash in all honesty, your posts here are the most upset I've seen anyone get about it.

Oh pfftt, "scobe boxing" - yeah sure, because "scobes" know how to stop a double leg or get to the back from half guard. People liking something you don't doesn't make you any cleverer than them, I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Laughing at your "I can't deal with the issue, so I'll just get personal and shove 'with all due respect' after it" effort!

You do get a bit proper at times, Conor. But I don't generally mind most of your posts.
    Outraged, is the easy Boards word to cast in your direction. I don't think he's racist tbh. Maybe you have an issue that you share the same name:)

I just think he's a skilled martial artist that has happened to excel in his discipline and has taken in the limelight and made a few bucks. He has elements of crass to his game, but **** it, it's his game. Gentlemen don't exist in a cage. He probably needs this to go with an image probably not entirely of his own making. He's not racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Fair fcuks to the guy that changed the name from Cage Fighting to MMA...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Put Dev on it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

I have such little respect for Ireland under Enda Kenny and this mickey mouse currency that i say you can put your mammy on it if you want OP i wouldnt care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

they never put the Great O'Donnell and the great O'Neill on their euro coins for the 400th anniversary of the flight of the earls, I refused to visit south since then

If only this was true of the real DOD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Us. The people. The sovereign people. I'll leave it to the creative types to come up with a symbol of us all. Because obviously we can't all fit on the damn thing. No more great men or great women. Just us. The sovereign people of Ireland.

Advertisement