Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use low voltage protection on my heli esc?

Options
  • 13-01-2016 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Can I use the indication that the voltage is getting low from the esc as a sign to land?

I usually can't even hear the timer alarm on my dx7.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Sorry just to be more clear. I'm flying a 450 trex with 3s lipos....does anybody here use the low voltage indicator on their esc as a pointer towards the 80% discharge rule? Is there a danger in this method?

The timer functionality seems so archaic given the technology in the heli and the lipos....plus, the alarm on the dx7 radio is very low - in that, I can't hear the bloody thing at all!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Not a heli flyer, but on multirotors you always disable LVC because if it activates, you crash. Why not upgrade to a radio with telemetry that can send you real time flight battery voltage measurements? Something like a Taranis isn't crazy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

What is it you want to do? set your low voltage protection on the esc to 3.7V so you know when you are around 80% discharged?
    Problem there is when the rotor is under load it will drop the voltage to 3.7V easy enough, well before you reach the 80%.

I always think the timer method works best. Just set the vibrating alarm as well as the audio one.
    Telemetry is as previously suggested is also an idea, though ive never been able to look at the transmitter to read the display while flying.... sure way for me to crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Timer on radio is the way to go IMO. You should get the feel for it as well as the rotor speed starts to noticeably slow as well. You sort of know its approaching landing time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

You will feel it's performance "softening" in plenty of time.
    As soon as you find yourself increasing throttle to maintain the performance of earlier (at a lower throttle setting) you are moving into "extra time".

If this seems counterintuitive tether the heli with eg a pair of iron bar across the landing gear, or a pieve of flat wood with weights resting on the ends. Fit a wattmeter inline (if you have one, well worth it if you haven't) Then "fly" the heli on the ground.

Roughly a grounded model draws about 5% more power for the same throttle/rpm compared to a flying one.

But in this arrangement you can calmly watch the watts consumed accumulate as "flight" time passes, and also safely keep an eye on the voltage in the flight pack. You'll see everything and later while flying in the air you will have confidence that this much power drain "feels like that", and when it's prudent to bring it in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

You will feel it's performance "softening" in plenty of time.
    As soon as you find yourself increasing throttle to maintain the performance of earlier (at a lower throttle setting) you are moving into "extra time".

If this seems counterintuitive tether the heli with eg a pair of heavy iron bars across the landing gear, or a piece of flat wood with weights resting on the ends. Fit a wattmeter inline (if you have one, well worth it if you haven't) between battery and ESC. Then "fly" the heli on the ground.

Roughly - a grounded model draws about 5% more power for the same throttle/rpm compared to a flying one.

But in this arrangement you can calmly watch the watts consumed accumulate as "flight" time passes, and also safely keep an eye on the voltage in the flight pack. You'll see everything with your full attention due to not being flying the thing, and later while flying in the air you will have confidence that this much power drain "feels like that", and when it's prudent to bring it in.

Advertisement