Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electronic Dog Door

• 13-01-2016 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking to source an electric dog door. I've found a few online however, they are not big enough- they are mainly for cats. We have a lurcher who is about 2ft at his tallest point. I've found a company who install them but I need to source it myself. Any ideas or has anyone seen them anywhere? Thanks a million.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

jellybear wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking to source an electric dog door. I've found a few online however, they are not big enough- they are mainly for cats. We have a lurcher who is about 2ft at his tallest point. I've found a company who install them but I need to source it myself. Any ideas or has anyone seen them anywhere? Thanks a million.
    To be honest, I'd never heard of such a device before your post, so I was keen to check it out as it might be useful for myself.

I looked at a youtube video but I can't help but feeling it would be a security risk to install it. I know the door is triggered by a radio collar, but all it would take would be a person with up to no good to take the collar off the dog wave it in front of the gate and they're in via a 2ft hole in the back door.

I wouldn't want to risk my dog being manhandled by a thief, nor would my house insurer look too kindly on it I would think either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Thanks for your post. I had of course thought of the risks posed, which are also my other half's concerns however, I'm still interested in seeing what's on the market in this area.

There's a particular kind here- http://www.pawltd.ie/sureflap/ where it reads your dog's microchip. It would definitely be my preference however, I know there are still risks involved with it.

I personally feel it would be a much better option for our dog, given his breed, compared to leaving him out with a kennel. I am lucky in that he is minded each day however, on the odd day he can't be, a dog door similar to the one I linked would be a great option to have.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I've no experience of electronic doors, but you might be surprised at how small a hole your dog can get through.
    I installed a flap that would let my Westie and Cocker x (Cocker-sized) through... So it's reasonably small. However, long after installing it I adopted a 40kg GSD... She knew no different, and apparently assumed if the small dogs could do it, so could she... So she did! She has to go through a fixed routine of body contortions that make it look like the door is giving birth to the dog, and it is hilarious, but it illustrates that the hole needn't be big for a 20kg (presumably skinnymalink?) lurcher. For the record, I've fostered several (smaller) GSDs since, and all of them followed my own GSD's lead, all come and go through that Cocker-sized flap without hesitation :)
    Now, I will tell you that a young child up to 6ish will also get in through it, and as with most pet flaps, if you leave a key inside the lock, an adult could potentially lie on the ground and reach inwards and upwards to grab the key... So keep keys out of reach.
    Otherwise, truly it is one of the best pet-related products I've invested in.

Thanks a million for your post DBB! Great to hear you've had success with your dog door. He's definitely a skinny malink! He's 6 months now and 13kg so definitely the smallest in the litter as we met his brother who is a good bit taller and stockier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

If someone really wants to get into your house, they will. It is very easy to break a window and make their way in. Whilst obviously it can be seen as a security risk, I've had dog flaps big enough for people to get through, even whilst living in London and haven't had anyone come through one - except one of my kids when we got locked out.

I hope you find what you're looking for, I've only ever seen them for cats. However, as DBB said, it is amazing how small dogs can make themselves when they need to, my fully grown 25kg husky got out through a cat flap in our old house, still don't know how he managed it to this day. Although, this has just popped up on my FB wall, maybe they aren't all as adept as Diesel. https://www.facebook.com/VenturaCountyFireStation50/posts/841458525970662

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

Hi Jellybear. I don't really know much about electronic door but a friend of mine, living in Galway city, decided to install a flap door for her dog. She was worried about safety so she used thick cardboard (several layers if it), cut a ' door ' into it and tempted the dog to go through the 'door' by calling him with a treat from the other side. That allowed my friend to find what was the smallest door the dog would go through without problem and also helped the dog getting used to go through a space that is much smaller than the human doors he had been using up to then.

Thanks so much muddypaws and awanderer for your replies.
    I'll definitely try out the cardboard idea, although he'll probably just try to eat it!! :)
    Will let you know how it goes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I have the sureflap pet door you linked to, its in a panel next to my front door.

Security doesnt bother me, itd be akin to a human trying to get in the letter box!! I have a large potted plant in place so that if you casually walk by its not that obvious that its there. There used to be a glass pane there which would have been easier for a burgler to get through, I removed the glass pane and set the petflap into a wooden board and put that in instead, had to put a step up for the cat too (I used an upside down long plant pot)

Quite a draught through it when its windy!! The cat loves it, full on independence plus she uses it to hide from loose dogs, other cats etc... Took her a bit of getting used to - theres a "click" when it reads the microchip and opens, she was a bit nervous of it at first, but fine now.

The first set of batteries lasted a year, the more recent ones didnt last nearly half as long - perhaps they were a bit old or something.

You can set it up to only be open at certain times or to let the animal in but not out etc... Other cats have shown an interest but as they cant come through it herself sits on the other side hissing through the window lol.

Intheclouds, thanks a million for your post.

Can I ask if you have the specific cat door or the pet door?

Obviously size is the biggest issue so I'm just wondering would it be big enough for our dog. He's basically the height of a border collie and is very thin (his breed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

It's the pet door. The cat is quite fat (on a diet now!) so we were concerned the cat door would be small so we decided to go for the full pet door. It's far too big for her and immediately we realised the cat door would have been fine! But it allows for the future where she might not be so nimble or if we got a bigger cat ( or if she got fatter!).

What I would suggest to you is to get the dimensions of the pet door (I'm sure they are on the website, if not I'll measure mine for you) and cut a hole that size in heavy cardboard and see can the dog fit.

The door itself is accessed via a very short tunnel (where the chip reader reads the chip) so you might want to test the whole set up with cardboard first. I'm not sure a lurcher would fit if he had a big chest. Best to test it I think.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, really appreciate it.
    Will definitely give it a go with cardboard and will probably wait until Summer, he'll be one then and I'll be off work, to start introducing him to a dog door.
    Hopefully they might even develop the microchip one in a larger size by then (I wish!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

DBB wrote: »
    I've no experience of electronic doors, but you might be surprised at how small a hole your dog can get through.
    I installed a flap that would let my Westie and Cocker x (Cocker-sized) through... So it's reasonably small. However, long after installing it I adopted a 40kg GSD... She knew no different, and apparently assumed if the small dogs could do it, so could she... So she did! She has to go through a fixed routine of body contortions that make it look like the door is giving birth to the dog, and it is hilarious, but it illustrates that the hole needn't be big for a 20kg (presumably skinnymalink?) lurcher. For the record, I've fostered several (smaller) GSDs since, and all of them followed my own GSD's lead, all come and go through that Cocker-sized flap without hesitation :)
    Now, I will tell you that a young child up to 6ish will also get in through it, and as with most pet flaps, if you leave a key inside the lock, an adult could potentially lie on the ground and reach inwards and upwards to grab the key... So keep keys out of reach.
    Otherwise, truly it is one of the best pet-related products I've invested in.

I'm sorry I can't add to your post except to ask dbb for a picture as I laughed out loud at the thought of the gsd getting through the door ;-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Lol, would you believe we've recently moved out of that house, but I need to go back to get stuff, so I'll see what I can do... It is hilarious :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

DBB wrote: »
    Lol, would you believe we've recently moved out of that house, but I need to go back to get stuff, so I'll see what I can do... It is hilarious :D

Haha I smile just thinking about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I'm following this thread just to see that pic if it arrives!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I'm following this thread just to see that pic if it arrives!! :)

Hee, I'm not following it but every time it comes up in my forums I click it to see if it has appeared! Glad I'm not the only one!!

Advertisement