Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 27" WQHD Monitor for coding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Those are pretty popular around here. Or at least were a year or two ago when they were first released (I'm assuming a lot of people are still happily using them). Not as popular now as the technology isn't as expensive as it once was, and the bezels are pretty damn massive. That is still a very nice price though.

Found this, which has some excellent reviews if you want alternatives. You probably won't beat that price though for 1440p and IPS (PLS, VA, AHVA, are other names for similar tech which has great colour reproduction and viewing angles)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00M913DVG/ref=psdc_428652031_t3_B00P6O3YYO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭randombar

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Those are pretty popular around here. Or at least were a year or two ago when they were first released (I'm assuming a lot of people are still happily using them). Not as popular now as the technology isn't as expensive as it once was, and the bezels are pretty damn massive. That is still a very nice price though.

Found this, which has some excellent reviews if you want alternatives. You probably won't beat that price though for 1440p and IPS (PLS, VA, AHVA, are other names for similar tech which has great colour reproduction and viewing angles)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00M913DVG/ref=psdc_428652031_t3_B00P6O3YYO

Hmmm I'm wondering with customs would I be caught (probably)

Another one on overclockers: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-q2778vqe-27-2560x1440-tn-widescreen-led-monitor-black-mo-031-ao.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

i have a similar screen to the one in the op, 3 years old at this stage. bit of backlight bleed at the bottom, nothing major although possibly pretty irritating if you notice it and can't un notice it. screen's not spotless clean either. only reason i'm getting rid of it is i just can't deal with the glossy screen any more. i'd let it go for 120 collected, it's just going to take up space on my desk since I got my new monitor today. would have to be collected from carlow though, i've no box for it any more and i'm not shipping it.

if all you're after it for is coding then it's a fairly decent screen for cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Someone mentioned possibly selling one of the qinx monitors as they got a different one think in off topic thread. Maybe give them a shout

The benq one looks decent. What's your setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

strelok wrote: »
    i have a similar screen to the one in the op, 3 years old at this stage. bit of backlight bleed at the bottom, nothing major although possibly pretty irritating if you notice it and can't un notice it. screen's not spotless clean either. only reason i'm getting rid of it is i just can't deal with the glossy screen any more. i'd let it go for 120 collected, it's just going to take up space on my desk since I got my new monitor today. would have to be collected from carlow though, i've no box for it any more and i'm not shipping it.

if all you're after it for is coding then it's a fairly decent screen for cheap.

That would be tempting if i could get to carlow! What inputs does it have?

• Advertisement

dvi only, it's one of the ones without any OSD or anything like that. just straight pc dvi to monitor, nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

If neither of the above posters take it off you I will, could collect from Carlow in the next 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

kevovek wrote: »
    If neither of the above posters take it off you I will, could collect from Carlow in the next 2 weeks.

Ah yeah i was just curious. Not driving at the moment so Carlow is a bit far to walk!

it's yours if you want it

are you near carlow? so you can get a look at it before you pull the trigger and hand over the cash?

strelok wrote: »
    it's yours if you want it

are you near carlow? so you can get a look at it before you pull the trigger and hand over the cash?

I'm in Wexford town but I could come up for a look anyway. I'm looking to go up to 1440p this year anyway and getting it 2nd hand wouldn't bother me

• Advertisement

I'm in Wexford town but I could come up for a look anyway. I'm looking to go up to 1440p this year anyway and getting it 2nd hand wouldn't bother me

cool, im likely good any evening except saturdays just let me know a day or two before you want to pop up. im in carlow town itself so you wont be traipsing all down the county.

Sorry for sort of hijacking the thread op :P
    Strelok I'll pm you there now

Sorry for sort of hijacking the thread op :P
    Strelok I'll pm you there now

No probs. I'd never make it to Carlow unfortunately. If anyone knows of anything Cork directed let me know.

If anyone knows of any deals just shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

If you want, looking at some of the german websites could lead to savings. I'll have a look on geizhals now.
    http://geizhals.eu/?cat=monlcd19wide&xf=5137_2560x1440~99_27#xf_top

That doesn't specify the panel type, so there are 10 TN panels mixed in there.
    http://geizhals.eu/?cat=monlcd19wide&xf=99_27~5137_2560x1440~106_1#xf_top
    That link will only look for 1440p, 27" and IPS panel.

The BenQ linked above shows up again though.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_gw2765ht.htm
    That review website is probably the most through monitor reviewer I've seen. It's pretty well respected. Give that a read down and see if it would suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

I actually just bought qnix multi 1440p from ebay and I was able to overclock it to 90FPS. It's great for the price but I would recommend to go with the non multi edition if you play games on your pc.

The monitor is great for programming but I had to tweak the colors especially for Visual Studios Dark Theme.

In addition you seriously need multiple monitors for programming only - (Any 24in Dell wide screen x 2)

GaryCocs wrote: »

The response time is a bit too high no?

RealistSpy wrote: »
    The response time is a bit too high no?

I really don't know much in relation to response times etc. coding away on an imac and moving to a laptop so looking for the easiest transition. Like being able to see a truck load of code on one screen :D

GaryCocs wrote: »
    I really don't know much in relation to response times etc. coding away on an imac and moving to a laptop so looking for the easiest transition. Like being able to see a truck load of code on one screen :D

Why not get a new imac?
    For programming only get any monitor but if you will play any games at all then go for any of the qnix or (Low response time monitor <= 4ms and 1440p).

RealistSpy wrote: »
    Why not get a new imac?
    For programming only get any monitor but if you will play any games at all then go for any of the qnix or (Low response time monitor <= 4ms and 1440p).

Need the laptop for client side meetings, on site work etc.

Good to know about response times etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement