Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Check engine light and NCT retest

• 13-01-2016 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16

So I failed the nct a couple weeks ago on due to a worn ball joint, some corrosion underneath the car, and worn tyres. I had just put the car in more to see what they would flag in case it was something very expensive because my car is old and probably not worth fixing in that case. I got everything fixed and I have my re-test tomorrow morning early and I guess I have two questions really:

1) Will they only test what failed?
    and
    2) My check engine light came on. It does this periodically for no discernible reason.. as I said it's an old car.. Will they still check my car with it on?

Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The answers to your questions are: 1)yes and 2)no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

SlugIt2Me wrote: »
    So I failed the nct a couple weeks ago on due to a worn ball joint, some corrosion underneath the car, and worn tyres. I had just put the car in more to see what they would flag in case it was something very expensive because my car is old and probably not worth fixing in that case. I got everything fixed and I have my re-test tomorrow morning early and I guess I have two questions really:

1) Will they only test what failed?
    and
    2) My check engine light came on. It does this periodically for no discernible reason.. as I said it's an old car.. Will they still check my car with it on?

Any help is appreciated!

I NCT-ed my old mans car at the weekend... Retest on a blown bulb and the check engine light was on... They only checked the bulbs and ignored the check engine light...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 SlugIt2Me

Ok great! Hopefully it will be ok for me too. I could only find something in the manual about there being an issue in diesel cars if the check engine light is on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It depends if the cars in question are petrol or diesel.
    It's all in here https://www.ncts.ie/pdf/NCT%20Manual%20July%202014.pdf

On a re-test I doubt they will fail you for it, but you never know.

Yeah my car is petrol! As I said I couldn't find it specifically mentioned in the manual, so I am taking that to mean that it is ok...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

chicorytip wrote: »
    The answers to your questions are: 1)yes and 2)no.

Are you really sure about this ?:rolleyes:
    They will only check to ensure the Fail Items were repaired. The only reason they can fail the car otherwise is for a Dangerous/unroadworthy fault which they happen to spot during the retest.
    An EML is NOT a Fail on a Petrol Engined Car.....even for the original Test, never mind a retest.
    The EML could well have been on for the original test, so it's not an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Are you really sure about this ?:rolleyes:
    They will only check to ensure the Fail Items were repaired. The only reason they can fail the car otherwise is for a Dangerous/unroadworthy fault which they happen to spot during the retest.
    An EML is NOT a Fail on a Petrol Engined Car.....even for the original Test, never mind a retest.
    The EML could well have been on for the original test, so it's not an issue.

I stand corrected - misread the original posters question.My understanding is that they will still test the car regardless of the warning light.

That's great to hear! Hopefully now she will pass..

Took her in and they passed her no bother! Thanks everyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

SlugIt2Me wrote: »
    Took her in and they passed her no bother! Thanks everyone :)

Ahhh... My one good deed of the year is done... Back to evil now for me!

• Advertisement
Advertisement