Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Payment Date

Options
  • 13-01-2016 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if people could advise.

When we first moved into our apartment it was agreed that the rent was payable on 1st of the month. This suited me as I got paid from my job on or roughly the last day of the month.

When this happened I would always just transfer the rent which meant that it was always with the property mgt company on or around 1st of the month.

However in the meantime I changed jobs about 9 months ago and with it my salary payment date changed to 15th of every month. At the start I was good at getting it paid in around the 1st however after a couple of months and with a change in spending habits I found that I was only able to transfer rent when my pay cam in i.e. the 15th.

I have been doing this for a while now – I would get an occasional email every month from someone in accounts asking for rent and then I would just reply I will forward it on.

However I have never missed any rent.

I have now received 2 emails this month (I wasn’t picking up emails the last week or so) asking for the rent and then a third today asking for proof of rent paid by today or they were calling on Friday and that if there was no one there they are letting themselves in to inspect that the property was still being lived in.

I know I’m late with rent but I was surprised that they were saying they were going to let themselves in given the fact that the pattern of my payments hasn’t changed over the last number of months.

Just wondering can they do this and do I have any rights here? I don't like the idea of them letting themselves in and snopping around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I was wondering if people could advise.

When we first moved into our apartment it was agreed that the rent was payable on 1st of the month. This suited me as I got paid from my job on or roughly the last day of the month.

When this happened I would always just transfer the rent which meant that it was always with the property mgt company on or around 1st of the month.

However in the meantime I changed jobs about 9 months ago and with it my salary payment date changed to 15th of every month. At the start I was good at getting it paid in around the 1st however after a couple of months and with a change in spending habits I found that I was only able to transfer rent when my pay cam in i.e. the 15th.

I have been doing this for a while now – I would get an occasional email every month from someone in accounts asking for rent and then I would just reply I will forward it on.

However I have never missed any rent.

I have now received 2 emails this month (I wasn’t picking up emails the last week or so) asking for the rent and then a third today asking for proof of rent paid by today or they were calling on Friday and that if there was no one there they are letting themselves in to inspect that the property was still being lived in.

I know I’m late with rent but I was surprised that they were saying they were going to let themselves in given the fact that the pattern of my payments hasn’t changed over the last number of months.

Just wondering can they do this and do I have any rights here? I don't like the idea of them letting themselves in and snopping around.

I dont think they can just let themselves in like that.
    But you have broken your contract I would be more concerned about getting evicted if I were you.
    You have shown very little care with regard to your obligations. Get your act together and you wont have to worry about the agent in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They can let themselves in if they have reason to believe that the property is vacant. Just respond to the email to confirm that you are still living there and they don't have your permission to enter it.

You're in arrears on your rent. Get your sh*t together and start paying it on time again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Technically every time you do this you are in arrears. But they haven't followed the rules.Letting themselves in wouldn't be following the rules either. Its not clear if you've replied to them this telling them it will be late again. That might be all you need to do. However they might be have a problem with persistant Late Rent. Have you actually picked up a phone and discussed it with them?

http://prtb.ie/dispute-resolution/disputes/information-on-terminating-a-tenancy-for-rent-arrears

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

It's not the landlord's problem that you've changed jobs or have had a "change of spending habits". Get your act together and start paying your rent on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

It would seem to any landlord that you are potentially steering yourself to using your deposit and leaving.

You are burning into your deposit by 2 weeks every time you are late.

The LL may have commitments / standing orders to meet.

If you are there years they may ok a late payment, but don't expect them to be mind readers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

beauf wrote: »
    Letting themselves in wouldn't be following the rules either.

Arguable.

If the tenant has not replied to emails or called, then possibly they are lying dead or seriously ill inside the apartment. Or possibly they've done a runner leaving the apartment unheated. Both of which could be called an emergency situation.

Fact is, this is what professional property managers routinely do. Even if they do get stung occasionally for an illegal entry, the fine is made up for by the lost rent they recover in cases where the tenant has left without notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Not a leg to stand on OP as other have said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I'm fairly astounded that paying 2 weeks late is a regular habit you've let yourself get in to, and that you're making excuses for it- you really need to sort your finances. Open a second account for yourself and put all the money you need for bills/rent in to it as soon as you get paid so you don't spend it- it's not rocket science.

And as other posters have said, just let them know you're there and they shouldn't come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

You would be better off getting ahead on the rent for your own sake . If you cannot pay it on the 1st as agreed , then on the 15th put in 2 months & clear your arrears, then you would be on time on the 15th ( for the following 1st of the month) going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

You need to contact them and see if the payment date can be changed but you really shouldn't be carrying on as you are and have been lucky to get away with it so far. Better budget planning would sort this out, time for some spreadsheets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Seems pretty cheeky to change the payment date without informing the LL or agency..... Why didn't you let them know?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You're continually late in rent, so I don't blame them for fearing for the upkeep of the apartment, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

I have clearly annoyed everyone here - I have the money I'm just being a prick. lol

If it wasn't a nama owned apartment block I would be more sympathic to the landlords needs.

I must get it sorted didn't realise I was actually totally breaking the law.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I have clearly annoyed everyone here - I have the money I'm just being a prick. lol

If it wasn't a nama owned apartment block I would be more sympathic to the landlords needs.

It's not that you have annoyed anyone here, they have no personal involvement in the case. It's just with all the crap that landlords have to put up with at the moment and all the hatred vented towards them, it just goes to show that many tenants are acting the maggot too. And I'm being polite saying "maggot".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

kceire wrote: »
    It's not that you have annoyed anyone here, they have no personal involvement in the case. It's just with all the crap that landlords have to put up with at the moment and all the hatred vented towards them, it just goes to show that many tenants are acting the maggot too. And I'm being polite saying "maggot".

Well said, and OP you just need to get yourself organised. I pay my rent on 16th by standing order as I am semi housebound and this way is sure to get paid on time. My pension comes in 4 weekly so whatever else, i make sure that the rent is set aside until the 16th. Is built into my consciousness now! The roof over your head is the one thing to ensure is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't think you've annoyed anyone, but the tone of your OP is defensive and placing the letting agent as the bad guy.

Objectively, the agent has sent three emails and received no response and the rent is two weeks late. And your question is whether they can enter the apartment to see if it's vacant.

Of course they can, they have good reason to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Nothing to do with the landlords status etc; this is YOUR HOME. Safeguard it! We could all find reasons like that..you signed a legal lease. You may one day need clear credit ratings.

I've squared up the landlord and promise to do better. :D

Can 2 weeks late rent really mess up your credit record? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Kev1nDonn

'Can 2 weeks late rent really mess up your credit record?'
    I imagine it could if the LL takes you to court. Just as importantly you may find it very hard to get a LL reference if you decide to move. However, you could get a great reference if he wants rid of you and the next LL is not a friend of his.
    As others have said above I recommend you to get your act together asap.
    Good luck.

Kev1nDonn wrote: »
    'Can 2 weeks late rent really mess up your credit record?'
    I imagine it could if the LL takes you to court. Just as importantly you may find it very hard to get a LL reference if you decide to move. However, you could get a great reference if he wants rid of you and the next LL is not a friend of his.
    As others have said above I recommend you to get your act together asap.
    Good luck.

The landlord is NAMA - He has no friends! me included :D

• Advertisement

I've learned my lesson folks - I promise I'll behave from now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

If paying on the 1st is going to cause you so much bother, how about asking if you can pay 2 weeks rent on the 1st and then pay monthly from the 15th on? Any reasonable landlord would be fine with this I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Why not just pay your rent sometime between the 16th - 20th when you have money? Your rent is due by the 1st and it can be in anytime before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

why didnt you just email them and explain about your work situation and pay date you would have saved yourself a lot of bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Just a quick question,

Why didnt you just ask the LL agent to move payment dates to your new paydate?

They may have asked for an extra half month rent in first case, but then it would have normalized.
    If you are a somewhat decent tennent this wouldnt have been an issue at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jeamimus

Arguable.

If the tenant has not replied to emails or called, then possibly they are lying dead or seriously ill inside the apartment. Or possibly they've done a runner leaving the apartment unheated. Both of which could be called an emergency situation.

Indeed. They have sent three emails without response and have received no rent. Its perfectly reasonable that they enter. They have also indicated the day they will call in advance.

Apart from the no-contact and non-payment of rent, the landlord is entitled to visit at a reasonable time to inspect the property. They indicated friday, which seems reasonable to me. If you refuse admission on friday, you will have to propose another suitable (and reasonable) time.

To me it looks like you are playing silly buggers with your rent. I think you will either get notice or face a large rent increase next time it gets reviewed.

Everbody calm down - I contacted landlord rent is paid and everyone is happy. They won't change my payment date so have promised to pay on time!

I consider myself a fairly decent person.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement