Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time Mac buyer

• 13-01-2016 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi I am not sure if this is the correct board so move if necessary. Also excuse the noob nature of the post ;)

I am planning on buying a Macbook pro, for college work/programming, general use but primarily for editing photos. I am currently eyeing up the 15" 2015 laptop model.

Before I make this significant purchase I would like to explore the possibility of buying a good condition used model, perhaps the model that preceded the 2015 version.

I am fairly inexperienced when it comes to reputable sources for purchasing such items so if anyone of you more learned enthusiasts can share any information you might have on this and help point me in the right direction, that'd be brilliant!

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I've a late 2011 macbookPro, 15", and it does all that I need. I bumped it up by adding a 1TB SSD and extra RAM. Better than any other laptop I've had.

I don't do a whole lot of processing on it, but I do have Lightroom on it, but mostly use PhotoMechanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Apple sometimes sell refurbished computers from their website. I have never used the service but have often been interested!

On a mobile so can't do a link but see below:

http://www.apple.com/ie/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mtt_swny

Paulw wrote: »
    I've a late 2011 macbookPro, 15", and it does all that I need. I bumped it up by adding a 1TB SSD and extra RAM. Better than any other laptop I've had.

I don't do a whole lot of processing on it, but I do have Lightroom on it, but mostly use PhotoMechanic.

Cool, good to know, I'll be hoping for a similar longevity from mine! Out of interest, was the upgrade a straightforward process, I've read a couple of write ups that had me thinking macbook were virtually non-expandable.

Apple sometimes sell refurbished computers from their website. I have never used the service but have often been interested!

On a mobile so can't do a link but see below:

http://www.apple.com/ie/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Ah yes the refurbished models, I totally overlooked those, a friend of mine got a refurb iPad a couple years back I hadn't even considered one, cheers. There seems to be some seriously souped up versions there too, with 1tb storage included... Gives me some options to consider now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

mtt_swny wrote: »
    Cool, good to know, I'll be hoping for a similar longevity from mine! Out of interest, was the upgrade a straightforward process, I've read a couple of write ups that had me thinking macbook were virtually non-expandable.

Some models have customer expandable modules (memory, disk), and some don't. Most of the newer models, you can't do any expansion at all. You just need to check the specific model.

Advertisement