Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pokémon 20th anniversary

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Angron wrote: »
    Heh, yeah. I bought Yellow, I'm also tempted to buy Red in German cause I'm trying to learn it, and what better way to learn than by doing something I love :D

Huh. Always been tempted to try and learn Spanish, never thought of trying it with games. Not a bad idea :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Boarding the S.S Anne now.

Team of.

Pikachu Lv. 17
    Pidgy Lv.16
    Nidorino Lv. 17
    Charmander Lv.10
    Paras Lv.13
    Sandshrew Lv. 14

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Omg, just saw R/B/Y are available and only for a tenner!

Can't decide between Red (my first!) or Yellow (for the anime nostalgia) now though.

At a tenner each I'll get all of them!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Yup, there's a bit of a difference. I'm in Mount Moon at the minute, have a team of Nidoran male and female, Mankey, Butterfree, Pidgeotto, and Pikachu, all around level 14 or 15.

Have the same team bar a unevolved Metapod & Pidgey all around level 8-10. Moves like sand attack were a LOT more effective playing Yellow.
    Lots of things you take for granted like the bar to show progress to the next level ain't there & it's a very small thing but when Nurse Joy says "we hope to see you again" every time it's annoying as I always try to go.
    Enjoying it & I still love the soundtrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Are they straight ports or can you do anything fancy with them - eg can you export to Pokemon Box? Battle with other Blue/red/yellow players?

Very tempted by Yellow, but then I just started slogging through OR, not sure I can justify it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Banjo wrote: »
    Are they straight ports or can you do anything fancy with them - eg can you export to Pokemon Box? Battle with other Blue/red/yellow players?

Very tempted by Yellow, but then I just started slogging through OR, not sure I can justify it...

For the most part they're straight ports. You will be able to export via Pokemon bank to the upcoming Pokemon sun & moon games and they've added wireless trading & battling too but only locally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Wireless trading and Pokémon Bank? Hot diggety dog. Now I have to buy my daughters 2DSes so I can take them to school!
    Me : "Aaaaw your Pikachu is adorable! Where did my Dugtrio go? Oh don't mind him, he's just gone into burrow to find a woolly hat because it's chilly. Look at his little Peeka-peeka face, so cute, so... BOOOYAH! Dig attack Motherfather! In Yo' Face!"
    Wife (upstairs): "Why are the girls crying?"
    Me : "D1 bit D2 on the face after D2 gave her a chinese burn! I'm sending them to their rooms."
    Wife : "you are such a good father and a wonderful provider for this family"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

There's a few things I keep kinda forgetting while playing, like that Magnemite doesn't have the steel typing yet, bug and poison are super effective against each other, and having to regularly check the movesets of pokémon cause I can't remember things like when Pikachu learns a better electric attack than Thundershock :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I bought all three even though they are basically the same game. Started on Blue just like the first time I played. Just about to enter Mt. Moon with a team of Ivysaur (saving Charmander for Red), Butterfree, Spearow, Pikachu (forgot how hard it used to be to find one), Male Nidoran and a lv. 2 Rattata. Rattata isn't long for this playthough as I've yet to actually use it in battle so as soon as I find Onix, he's gone. Not sure who to replace Nidoran with just yet. Bellsprout and Abra are ruled out due to Ivysaur and Butterfree (even though Kadabra is far better) while I can't think of anyone else worthwhile early on. Might have to wait until I get Vulpix after Lavender Town. Pikachu will have to be replaced too as I'll be using him in Yellow and want different teams in each game.

It's shocking how I still remember where to catch everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Really enjoying Pokemon yellow at the moment!!

Redzer7 wrote: »

Can't wait to try it!!!

Bought Pokemon Red too just because it's so cheap :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Just after beating Misty with a team of Pikachu, Nidorino, Pidgey, Butterfree, Charmander and Mew. Having fun, though its way more grindy than modern games. Miss EXP ALL :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

How did you get Mew? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

How did you get Mew? :confused:

Mew glitch!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I was going to do the Mew glitch, but decided against it because I just wanted to play through the way I would when the game first came out, when I didn't know about that glitch.

On the SS Anne, team is currently Pikachu, Charmeleon, Ivysaur, Nidorino, Pidgeotto, and Butterfree. Butterfree will be dropped once I get Squirtle, and I might be dropping Pidgeotto for something else along the way. Nidorino will be evolving to Nidoking before I head into Vermilion gym.

I was going to do the Mew glitch, but decided against it because I just wanted to play through the way I would when the game first came out, when I didn't know about that glitch.

On the SS Anne, team is currently Pikachu, Charmeleon, Ivysaur, Nidorino, Pidgeotto, and Butterfree. Butterfree will be dropped once I get Squirtle, and I might be dropping Pidgeotto for something else along the way. Nidorino will be evolving to Nidoking before I head into Vermilion gym.

Nidoking only learns Trash once it evolves. Nidorino learns the likes of Double Kick and Horn Drill so make sure you have a decent move set before evolving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Nidoking only learns Trash once it evolves. Nidorino learns the likes of Double Kick and Horn Drill so make sure you have a decent move set before evolving.

Thrash is level 23, double kick comes before that. IMO thrash is worth more than the 2 or 3 moves it learns as a Nidorino if you don't evolve it.

Just beat Brock so have my first badge. My team is Pickachu, Pidgey X2, Pidgeotto, Butterfree and Nidoran. Pidgeys will be released eventually :pac:

I remember that stuff well, one of the big things I remember from my copy of Red was the level that Nidoking learns Thrash at :pac: Horn Drill is a TM too, so if I really need to teach it that I can just use a TM.

• Advertisement

What's the ideal team to be taking with me to the Pokemon league? I honestly can't remember it's been that long ago.

What's the ideal team to be taking with me to the Pokemon league? I honestly can't remember it's been that long ago.

Electric, fire, water, psychic and ice covers your bases for all of them, leaves you with a spare slot and you can combine some of them like water / ice or water / psychic to free up another slot to play with.

You could nearly breeze it with psychics alone to be honest. There's no real "ideal" team though, once you have a reasonable degree of coverage you'll be grand. As I said in another thread, I think my original first team in red was Charizard, Hitmonlee, Nidoking, Tauros, and possibly Raichu and Pidgeot in the last slots.

You're dealing with Ice/Water, Fighting/Rock, Ghost/Poison, Dragon, and then the rival, so make of that what you will.

You could nearly breeze it with psychics alone to be honest.

But what about Agatha's ghost pokemon? Oh wait...

Combination of their part poison typing, and ghost not hitting psychic helps there :pac:

Combination of their part poison typing, and ghost not hitting psychic helps there :pac:

That was the joke I was making. Not to mention that, even if ghost did hit psychic for super effective like it's supposed to, lick is the only ghost type move that doesn't deal fixed damage.

It took a long time for ghost to be fixed too, up until gen 4 all ghost type moves were physical, which really threw me when I went to play Ruby and wondered why Shadow Ball on Kadabra was doing nothing! Same token, dark being special only confused the heck out of me, given it had the moves crunch, bite, and knock off.

Yeah they really ought to have had those two reversed; ghost as special and dark as physical.

The physical / special split was, imo, the best change made to the game so far. *pats my Gyarados on the head*

Yup, it was sorely needed because it was hampering what a large amount of pokemon could do with their STAB attacks.

Oh crits, you are so broken :pac: Moves like slash or karate chop make it 8 times more likely to get a crit, so you will always crit using them if you're above 65 base speed.

• Advertisement

Is it just me, or does the cloning glitch no longer work? They seem to have removed the saving part when changing boxes. The ditto glitch is more awkward so was hoping to restrict it as much as possible but still get 151.

Who knew that working regularly impacted the amount of time you had to play games?

Beat Koga today in yellow, team is currently:

Charizard - level 45
    Blastoise - level 36
    Venusaur - level 36
    Hitmonlee - level 35
    Pikachu - level 35
    Nidoking - level 39

Just bought yellow and started today. Omg I love that game.

I hate Misty's Starmie. It killed my entire team (bar a lv. 5 Jigglypuff in the PC) in my Red nuzlocke and ended my speed run of Yellow. Was making good time too.

Ouch :(

I'm doing a kind of "story" run of yellow at the moment. Completing the game with the Pokémon that Red has at the end of Gen 2,

so my team is Pikachu, Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur, Snorlax and Lapras. It's not nearly as balanced as it seems at first glance. Quite a challenging run. Pikachu is effing useless for the most part especially since Lapras knows thunderbolt.

I'm not allowing myself to use HM slaves either; truly restricting myself to those six Pokémon in and out of battle.

Yes I am absolutely abusing the hell out of the toxic / leech seed glitch and yes it is glorious.

Pokémon Snap is being released on the Virtual console for the Wii U, which is nice but it is not satisfying my desire for a sequel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 sierraecho

Bought myself pokemon yellow. Tempted to get the blue version too but happy with yellow for now.

Loved the 1st gen games especially how they made the first gym leader was a rock trainer and pretty much any wild pokemon at the start of the game useless against. Great intro to the game. :D

sierraecho wrote: »
    Bought myself pokemon yellow. Tempted to get the blue version too but happy with yellow for now.

Loved the 1st gen games especially how they made the first gym leader was a rock trainer and pretty much any wild pokemon at the start of the game useless against. Great intro to the game. :D

I actually think the opposite about the wild Pokémon! Mankey, Butterfree and Nidoran (especially in Yellow) destroy Brock. If you're willing to grind Rattata to lv. 14 for Hyper Fang he can do some damage too. In Red I ended up beating him with a Pidgey after spamming Sand Attack and Tail Whip (RIP Rattata) for 12 turns. So, it's really only Spearow and even he gets STAB Fury Attack and Leer. Unless you go in really under levelled, you can beat him with almost anything. It's a fun challenge to try and make other Pokémon viable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Pokémon Snap is being released on the Virtual console for the Wii U, which is nice but it is not satisfying my desire for a sequel!

Is it updated to use the game pad as the camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Is it updated to use the game pad as the camera?

Don't be silly, that'd be too cool/logical :pac:

Honestly, I'm not sure. All I've seen is that it's being released in Japan, so maybe we'll get it here at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 sierraecho

I actually think the opposite about the wild Pokémon! Mankey, Butterfree and Nidoran (especially in Yellow) destroy Brock. If you're willing to grind Rattata to lv. 14 for Hyper Fang he can do some damage too. In Red I ended up beating him with a Pidgey after spamming Sand Attack and Tail Whip (RIP Rattata) for 12 turns. So, it's really only Spearow and even he gets STAB Fury Attack and Leer. Unless you go in really under levelled, you can beat him with almost anything. It's a fun challenge to try and make other Pokémon viable.

Ha so very true but tell that to the 11 year old me going in with Charmander with tackle, leer and ember backed up with a L10 pidgey and a metapod that only knows harden. Talk about newb. :D

sierraecho wrote: »
    Ha so very true but tell that to the 11 year old me going in with Charmander with tackle, leer and ember backed up with a L10 pidgey and a metapod that only knows harden. Talk about newb. :D

Spam harden, use potions and go for that PP stall on the metapod :D:D:D

Venusaur's level up move set is pretty abysmal. Currently level 51 and rocking Tackle, Poison Powder, Leech Seed and Razor Leaf. Not sure what I did with my Body Slam TM as everything else is pretty crap.

Does anyone know how to win at the game corner? Need four more Pokémon to get everyone obtainable without glitches, one of which is Porygon at 9999 coins. Equal to $200,000! Don't really fancy doing the elite four over and over. Also need Tauros so a lot of my funds are going on the Safari Zone.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure there is any kind of knack to winning in the game corner really, unless you've got really good reactions or something. I'm also not looking forward to trying to catch Tauros.

I don't see why people want the game corner to come back. It's tedious as hell. After 30 minutes of trying every tip I found, I was up 10 coins. Guess it'll be the Elite Four about six or eight times. I'll bring Mewtwo as backup but he shouldn't really be needed with Nidoking, Kadabra, Venusaur and Dragonite.

Yeah, the game corners were never really something I was fond of because of how long it would take to earn coins, or if you didn't want to play the games how expensive they were to buy.

Yeah, the game corners were never really something I was fond of because of how long it would take to earn coins, or if you didn't want to play the games how expensive they were to buy.

I didn't like the game corners exactly but I detested the PC versions of them shoehorned into games like HG/SS with the likes of voltorb flip. You couldn't even just mash A to buy a bucket load of coins with the voltorb flip game.

If I wanted to play minesweeper I'd play minesweeper.

Advertisement