Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jersey Pullers

• 13-01-2016 7:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭

I came across this article which is a few years old http://m.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/jersey-pullers-on-the-hunt-for-stray-players-29471129.html It got me thinking - why are some women so intent on going out with a rugby player/footballer/hurlers? All 3 mentioned seem to attract jersey pullers, particularly rugby? In the UK though the footballers would be very well known and there's plenty of Jersey pullers with that sport over in England. But why? At the end of the day, the players are just normal lads.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    I came across this article which is a few years old http://m.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/jersey-pullers-on-the-hunt-for-stray-players-29471129.html It got me thinking - why are some women so intent on going out with a rugby player/footballer/hurlers? All 3 mentioned seem to attract jersey pullers, particularly rugby? In the UK though the footballers would be very well known and there's plenty of Jersey pullers with that sport over in England. But why? At the end of the day, the players are just normal lads.

They are far from normal lads in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

It's kind of sad really. I haven't seen that happening with Irish sport stars myself, and wouldn't want to, but I have often been in nightclubs or restaurants in Manchester and there could be various players hanging about or eating and the amount of women that just hang about waiting to be noticed (or lets be honest shagged) is unbelievable. WAG wannabes. Seen it a few years back with Danny Welbeck, he couldn't have looked more embarrassed if he tried. Then again, maybe he was thinking of the five or six chances he ballooned that day, I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

When we have ****e like Xpose and the Indo trying promote a Irish socialite class then of course your going to get every starry-eyed dope trying to grab a "sports personality" to get in on the act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Lollipop95 wrote: »

Perceived status.

Riding the full forward for the county champions is a ticket to riches beyond your wildest imagination dontchaknow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Darwin answered this. Superior physical specimens offer the prospect of superior physical offspring. People fool themselves with talk of everything else; like the song says, the fundamental things apply as time goes by.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Feck it. If I was a successful rich athlete and could pull many a lady by wearing a Jersey, I'd do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

I thought this was gonna be a thread about shirt-lifters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

They are far from normal lads in fairness.

The footballers and rugby players would be more well known I'd agree, but I'd definitely consider hurlers to be normal lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Holly Carpenter getting a good run on the newspapers anyway. :D Good to have friends like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I don't understand why girls go after wealthy athletes in peak physical condition over, say, a really nice guy like me either, OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We are gods

why would they not tug at my jersey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Ah the days of the local dance when we'd chat away to the ladies - until the GAA lads came in from training, then we all just moved aside and wait for any crumbs that might fall :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

A Niamh Horan article eh?

For that reason OP, I'm out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

When did jersey pulling stop being a foul and become a term for groupies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Are dad bods not in?

Are dad bods not in?

I would hoping that would be cool for another twenty or thirty years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ah the days of the local dance when we'd chat away to the ladies - until the GAA lads came in from training, then we all just moved aside and wait for any crumbs that might fall :o

I can see a david attenborough documentary playing in my head with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Darwin answered this. Superior physical specimens offer the prospect of superior physical offspring. People fool themselves with talk of everything else; like the song says, the fundamental things apply as time goes by.
    Well, not really. Money and status wins.

You think a ripped youngfella from Limerick inner city gets better action than Johnny Ronan? He does in his brown one. He's probably popular alright, but with all the skanky ones.

A good physique of course helps, but the main attraction here is the wealth (or potential wealth) and status by proxy - this is what that ridiculous "Dublin housewives" programme was about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Not sure that women care for footballers or hurlers there op. Rather more of a handicap I would have though.

Rugby players however, those from the right clubs of course, are naturally attractive to women driven by their genetic code to seek out the best possible mate. The right rugby players are the top of the pile: the best sort of chaps; with the right genes; the right breeding; the finest healthiest and strongest physique to protect their woman, the best looking, will have gone to the right school, will be monied, will move in the right circles, will have access to power and influence, will know their wine and prawn sandwiches, etc, etc, etc.

It stands to reason they will be attracted to them and the golden ticket of life they can be for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Not sure that women care for footballers or hurlers there op. Rather more of a handicap I would have though.

Rugby players however, those from the right clubs of course, are naturally attractive to women driven by their genetic code to seek out the best possible mate. The right rugby players are the top of the pile: the best sort of chaps; with the right genes; the right breeding; the finest healthiest and strongest physique to protect their woman, the best looking, will have gone to the right school, will be monied, will move in the right circles, will have access to power and influence, will know their wine and prawn sandwiches, etc, etc, etc.

It stands to reason they will be attracted to them and the golden ticket of life they can be for them.

I get most of that but I can't understand the prawn sandwiches bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Overused but the picture really highlights the point

http://imgur.com/gallery/6IAjP1O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

seamus wrote: »
    Well, not really. Money and status wins.

You think a ripped youngfella from Limerick inner city gets better action than Johnny Ronan? He does in his brown one. He's probably popular alright, but with all the skanky ones.

A good physique of course helps, but the main attraction here is the wealth (or potential wealth) and status by proxy - this is what that ridiculous "Dublin housewives" programme was about.

pure golddigging, better than getting a job!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1026116/Rise-gold-digger-The-young-women-shamelessly-pursue-older-men-money.html
    The gaggle of wannabe WAGs hovering outside any nightclub frequented by Premier League footballers is proof that there is an increasing number of women who believe that far from having their own life and their own job, the notion of being a human leech is to some degree a preferable career.
    As evidence that bleeding a man dry is on the up, there is now a fashion label called Golddigga and even websites such as www.golddiggers. uk.com, devoted to ways of hooking a rich guy.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

seamus wrote: »
    You think a ripped youngfella from Limerick inner city gets better action than Johnny Ronan? He does in his brown one.

Hey, consenting adults and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Martin Skrtl is the biggest Jersey puller I know.

Advertisement