Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reassurance please?

Options
  • 13-01-2016 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi when I found out I was pregnant in September I went to boots to pick up some folic acid. The lady at the counter suggested a brand to me that was the same as pregnancy plus and gave me six months supply. I asked why it was the same price for 6 months of this compared to the 1 month of pregnancy plus. She said that people don't really buy this brand even though it's the same and that they were discontinuing the brand and selling it off cheaper. So earlier I just happened to check the last big bottle of them that I have and I see that the bbd has passed since August 2015, before I even bought them. I'm seriously worried that my baby hasn't been getting any folic acid and I'm really concerned now. What will I do ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

ja1986 wrote: »
    Hi when I found out I was pregnant in September I went to boots to pick up some folic acid. The lady at the counter suggested a brand to me that was the same as pregnancy plus and gave me six months supply. I asked why it was the same price for 6 months of this compared to the 1 month of pregnancy plus. She said that people don't really buy this brand even though it's the same and that they were discontinuing the brand and selling it off cheaper. So earlier I just happened to check the last big bottle of them that I have and I see that the bbd has passed since August 2015, before I even bought them. I'm seriously worried that my baby hasn't been getting any folic acid and I'm really concerned now. What will I do ?

Relax, the bbd is just Brussels bullshït

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Thanks.

ja1986 wrote: »
    Thanks.

No problem. Just to expand a wee bit, when developing a product, if the shelf life was found to be that accurate, it would be plastered all over the packaging.

It's there, in the small print, hardly visible, as it's just a regulatory requirement..

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Completely agree. Its a load of rubbish!
    How many weeks are you now? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Did you pay for it by credit/debitcard where you'd have a record of the transaction?! I would try approaching Boots for my money back!!

• Advertisement

teggers5 wrote: »
    Completely agree. Its a load of rubbish!
    How many weeks are you now? :)

How dare you! That's holiday weight!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

How dare you! That's holiday weight!!!!

Lol, apologies. How insensitive of me! ;)

No paid cash I'm not looking for a refund I was just worried it wasn't working all the time. I'm 21 weeks now

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

If there was something wrong your doctor would have seen it by now so all should be ok. Also expiration dates are very conservative so big companies can cover their asses. You can be sure there is some added time on them! Might be worth a read - www.jigsawhealth.com/blog/expired-supplements I would ring your midwife if you need some added reassurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

I had exact same issue when I was pregnant in 2012. I really panicked and went back to the pharmacy in a state but they reassured me all was ok and the expiration date is nothing to worry about. I also rang the VHI nurseline and they reassured me the same. My little boy was born perfect, but I understand your worry I was so worried too, I now find myself checking expiry dates now all the time.

• Advertisement

Rose35 wrote: »
    I had exact same issue when I was pregnant in 2012. I really panicked and went back to the pharmacy in a state but they reassured me all was ok and the expiration date is nothing to worry about. I also rang the VHI nurseline and they reassured me the same. My little boy was born perfect, but I understand your worry I was so worried too, I now find myself checking expiry dates now all the time.

Thanks so much. And thanks to everyone else. I'm usually not this particular but it's for the baby and I want everything perfect. Thanks again xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

You also get folic acid from food you eat such as vegetables

Advertisement