Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race wheels and bike brand compatibility

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Spade a spade time.
    • You have no clue what return in terms of speed and performance new wheels will get you.
    • You have no understanding of what a cassette is never mind changing them.
    • You have no understanding of how a poorly maintained drivetrain will affect performance
    • You, and it appears everyone else including the mighty German, have no idea about how to maintain a drivetrain
    • Most importantly you do not know if you going to stay in the sport as you" have form for getting bored and quitting"

Are €1500 wheels really a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MalDoc

tunney wrote: »
    Spade a spade time.
    • You have no clue what return in terms of speed and performance new wheels will get you.
    • You have no understanding of what a cassette is never mind changing them.
    • You have no understanding of how a poorly maintained drivetrain will affect performance
    • You, and it appears everyone else including the mighty German, have no idea about how to maintain a drivetrain
    • Most importantly you do not know if you going to stay in the sport as you" have form for getting bored and quitting"

Are €1500 wheels really a good idea?

Have you seen how shiny they look?

joey100 wrote: »
    They are shimano 8,9,10,11 speed compatabile so your bike will be covered by them. Google them first to read a few reviews and see what you think, others might have suggestions too on other suitable wheels.

Ordered. Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

There's very little chatter on this forum about bike maintainance (and how lack of same affects performance). Its often easier to assume spending $$$ will make us faster. Think you mentioned to me about a 3-4% drop in performance when you first saw my manky chain, but that penny only dropped above when you asked pgibbo what he would do to get 10W...

New chain ordered. Keep calling a spade a spade.

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    There's very little chatter on this forum about bike maintainance (and how lack of same affects performance). Its often easier to assume spending $$$ will make us faster. Think you mentioned to me about a 3-4% drop in performance when you first saw my manky chain, but that penny only dropped above when you asked pgibbo what he would do to get 10W...

New chain ordered. Keep calling a spade a spade.

I have research papers I purchased on the impacts of chain preparation on loses to drivetrains, interesting - and surprising - results. I'll dig out and send on the Clif notes version to Gibbo and yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

I have research papers I purchased on the impacts of chain preparation on loses to drivetrains, interesting - and surprising - results. I'll dig out and send on the Clif notes version to Gibbo and yourself.

Have been reading up on this and was surprised to discover the results, 3-5 % power loss from what I have read. This is much larger than I would have expected.

I guess it all depends what end of the field you're at really. I think i'd happily accept these losses for the sake of the hassle of having a dedicated training/race setup, but then i'm so cheap that I haven't yet bought a TT bike after 4 seasons of racing. If you're in or around top 20 in races, I guess 3 % power loss is a massive deal.

Lads, I have free bike servicing for life. It's not a concern.

Have been reading up on this and was surprised to discover the results, 3-5 % power loss from what I have read. This is much larger than I would have expected.

I guess it all depends what end of the field you're at really. I think i'd happily accept these losses for the sake of the hassle of having a dedicated training/race setup, but then i'm so cheap that I haven't yet bought a TT bike after 4 seasons of racing. If you're in or around top 20 in races, I guess 3 % power loss is a massive deal.

You don't need a dedicated training/race setup - just to maintain your gear and look after it.

MalDoc wrote: »
    Lads, I have free bike servicing for life. It's not a concern.

Then you will be losing more than the 4% or so. Free bike servicing == sh1t bike servicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Then you will be losing more than the 4% or so. Free bike servicing == sh1t bike servicing.

Hahaha... I wonder what shop that service is in... also, I would expect each free service to cost 100e or more in 'parts'.

Edit: The free servicing offer is clever marketing tho, keeps people coming back and paying way over the odds for chains, brake pads, cassettes etc.. that they would buy online and fit themselves (with the most basic bike maintenance knowledge) for half the price.

• Advertisement

All right, this has descended into a topic I have zero interest in. I only wanted to find out what wheels to buy for my bike. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

You don't need a dedicated training/race setup - just to maintain your gear and look after it.

But if these figures hold true, then ideally if you want to do a turbo session you should:

a) switch the tyre on your existing wheel to a trainer tyre
    b) Have a dedicated turbo wheel and change the chain out each time so you are always pairing the same chain with the same cassette

I maintain my bike pretty well, but till now I have been operating on the principle that at 0.5 % wear I change the chain out, and change the cassette once every two chains. I guess that for optimal efficiency you should change the cassette each time you change the chain?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

the thing here is dave you have to stay a bit real here that for a guy that knows nothing aobut wheels you make it way to complicated

joey gave him useful advise.

and with all your extra info what s likey going to happen is a scenario like you had before roth that you got eaten up decing on wheel choice
    paralysis by overanalysis

if you gain 7 watts but dont sleep for a few days you lose watts...

its not alwayas 7 watts save 7 watts. in my case i often would not go to a trainign race if i was to prepare the bike as i should
    as it annoys me and takes the fun away.

ps we agree on that i would not give my bike to a mecahnic either ;-)

peter kern wrote: »
    the thing here is dave you have to stay a bit real here that for a guy that knows nothing aobut wheels you make it way to complicated

I did - don't get the wheels.
    joey gave him useful advise.

Joey is a sound lad.
    and with all your extra info what s likey going to happen is a scenario like you had before roth that you got eaten up decing on wheel choice
    paralysis by overanalysis

You know as well as I do that before Roth Cyclesuperstore broke my disc, hence the wheel choice issue.
    if you gain 7 watts but dont sleep for a few days you lose watts...

Goes without saying that sleep is the most important thing
    its not alwayas 7 watts save 7 watts. in my case i often would not go to a trainign race if i was to prepare the bike as i should
    as it annoys me and takes the fun away.

Who said *anything* about doing all this before a training race? One, maybe two races a year would be all I would be ar$ed doing any of this for.
    ps we agree on that i would not give my bike to a mecahnic either ;-)

Yup - the best investment you can make in the free speed from your bike is excellent quality tools. Have a nicely running drivetrain, perfectly tuned gears and superb brakes and then you are laughing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

train all year on whatever wheelset/chain combo makes sense, as long as the chain doesn't stretch beyond accptable limits, and you know enough to keep it running smoothly and no cross chaining

2 weeks before the A race, new chain and cassette. full bike service. new tires, brake pads

last 2 weeks of prep rides are on full race gear. then making sure everything is 100% with the new bits.

course all this assumes you can do the work yourself and trust your work. no way would i hand my bike to a shop two weeks before a big race

if not aiming for an A race, and doing multiple races, do this prior to the first race and maintain your bike properly over the summer.

works for me

Advertisement