Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bad experience with garage. Nissan Primera window trouble

Options
  • 13-01-2016 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hi there. Today I had a pretty **** experience with a car garage. I left my car in to get the window repaired and they made the issue even worse. See the link below for the issue with my car window from a few years ago. Another garage fixed the issue but warned it may wear again.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057112420

The same problem started a month ago. I could still get the window up and down but had to hold the window as the rails went down to stop it from dropping into the door.

So I was quoted 40 euro to bond the window back onto the clips but later got a call to say the regulator was damaged and it would cost 240 for it to be repaired. I then told them that I could not afford it and to put the door back together. When I arrived I asked would it be back in the same state and they said it wouldnt.

So my question is why should I have to pay the 40 euro and get my care back in worse condition? Yes I get that there are labour costs and as the mechanic said they dont work for free but where is the come back when you leave your car into a garage?

I feel they took advantage of my situation as my driving test is tomorrow which they were aware of. Is there anything I can do or any precautions I can take when leaving my car into a garage in future?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Bigus

You were aware the regulator was on its last legs as warned previously , did you inform the current garage of this ?

If they knew fully in advance they would not have gone near it except to fit a new regulator and quote accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The window detaching is a symptom of the regulator going and the cables getting tangled.
    To be fair the reg in the primera is a plate that covers the whole inside of the door, so it isn't possible to see much of what's going on till you take it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭DarraghR

Ok so would I need to buy a new window, a new regulator or both? Is it a tough job to do myself and how much would I be looking at? The problem is my NCT is due in a months time and I am pretty sure it will fail with this fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

240 is fairly reasonable. You've a month to save before the NCT. You could go to the scrap yard and get the parts but window and doors are fiddly areas to work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Notch000

you only need a working driver window for NCT, so if it the passengers let them sweat, I passed the NCT with a screw driver jam holding up my pass window, wondow reg are not difficult to DIY if you any way inclined

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I bet your garage will be pretty peeved if they read this thread. Hardly their fault if you can't afford to repair your car.!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,347 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It's your car so it's not down to garage to fund repairs for you.
    They could have said we don't get involved with temporary repairs and quoted you 240 from outset. You would then likely have started a thread saying garage were scamming you when it could be repaired for 40 euro.
    so as i see it, they agreed to have a go but found the regulator was past saving and so you will have to pay for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Regulator went in my golf last Nov €220 to get fixed with main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I'm by no means a mechanical but I did replace a regulator on a BMW e46. YouTube videos gave the instructions. Fairly simple to do yourself. I paid €50 odd for the regulator on micks garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

DarraghR wrote: »
    Hi there. Today I had a pretty **** experience with a car garage. I left my car in to get the window repaired and they made the issue even worse. See the link below for the issue with my car window from a few years ago. Another garage fixed the issue but warned it may wear again.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057112420

The same problem started a month ago. I could still get the window up and down but had to hold the window as the rails went down to stop it from dropping into the door.

So I was quoted 40 euro to bond the window back onto the clips but later got a call to say the regulator was damaged and it would cost 240 for it to be repaired. I then told them that I could not afford it and to put the door back together. When I arrived I asked would it be back in the same state and they said it wouldnt.

So my question is why should I have to pay the 40 euro and get my care back in worse condition? Yes I get that there are labour costs and as the mechanic said they dont work for free but where is the come back when you leave your car into a garage?

I feel they took advantage of my situation as my driving test is tomorrow which they were aware of. Is there anything I can do or any precautions I can take when leaving my car into a garage in future?
    More like the Garage had a bad experience I'd say :)

The Garage didn't make things any worse. The regulator was already gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bren11

Had similar problems with 06 primera. Got a repair kit off ebay, but this was crap and didnt last. Bit the bullet and bought regulator from main dealer, which is complete silver plate with motor / pulleys etc. Had to glue plastic clip on to glass with good 2 part epoxy, then fitted regulator and glass. Havent had any problems since.

Make sure car is fully defrosted in cold weather when opening window as this is where my problems started. With glass frozen in place and operating window something has to give, and its never the fuse.

Remove door card. On silver plate for want of a better description there are 2 holes a couple of inches from bottom edge. Line up 2 plastic brackets with these holes, then with 10mm socket and extention and ratchet locate 2 10mm bolts. Remove bolts and remove glass at an angle. Remove all 10mm bolts around silver plate. Remove all electrical connections speakers locks etc. Remove silver plate and see if it can be salvaged. If not a length of 2 x 1 timber can be used to prop up glass as a temporary fix, while you search scrapyards etc. Also check condition of plastic clips on glass. May need to be bonded again. Assembly is reverse of removal.
    So there is a bit of work involved in dismantling all above to inspect regulator, and if it is in a mess with cables all over the place, you will be very lucky to get it all in place in the same condition. You could have asked him to fit the 2x1 piece of timber and put the regulator and card in the boot, pay the €40, and suggest coming back when finances improve.

Advertisement