Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apartment Dweller seeks Pet.

• 13-01-2016 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Okay so my partner and I live in a rather small apartment in Dublin CC and we would love to get a pet and by pet I mean cat or dog. I have a fish bowl already. I'm posting this because I am worried about the ethics of this. I don't want to get a pet if I can't give it a decent life so I am here to ask you pleasant people whether you think our situation is appropriate to add a pet into.

The Deets...
    The apartment is small, quite small, one bed. There is a communal garden. We live on the third floor and due to design of the apartment we are effectively required to keep the windows open 24/7, 365 days of the year.
    We both work full time in a 9ish to 5ish job. We do not have a car. We travel to the 'homestead' roughly once a month, with somewhat longer breaks at Christmas etc. Normally we can go home at different times but at major holidays we do end up going home at the same time. We don't travel a huge amount but we do go on abroad occasionally. Normally those trips are for up to five days in length.

The preference would be for a dog but a cat would be loved just as much.

So, thoughts and/or advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not being bad but going by what you say, you're not really in the position to get a dog or cat. Living in a small one-bedroom third floor apartment, where there's no-one at home all day and you have no transport to bring the animal to somewhere it could roam? It sounds like a really bad idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Do you own or rent this apartment OP? Are you allowed pets in your apartment?

By the way, fish bowls are horrifically cruel, unless of course there aren't any fish in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Not being bad but going by what you say, you're not really in the position to get a dog or cat. Living in a small one-bedroom third floor apartment, where there's no-one at home all day and you have no transport to bring the animal to somewhere it could roam? It sounds like a really bad idea.

You are not being bad, this is the feedback I want, as I said I want a pet but not at the expense of that animal. The last thing I want to do is subject a pet to a miserable life.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭twignme

I think if you read through the 'deets' you have put in your post, you would realise that you should not be considering a cat or a dog in your current situation. If you did get a dog it is likely it would get bored and unstimulated possibly leading to it becoming destructive in the apartment. That means chewing on the furniture, peeing and maybe getting depressed. Although I am sure you would love the animal, it would not be fair to have one unless your situation changes.
    Just to add, it's good that you are getting opinions on this as it shows you are taking it seriously so well done for that.

Do you own or rent this apartment OP? Are you allowed pets in your apartment?

By the way, fish bowls are horrifically cruel, unless of course there aren't any fish in it.

I used the term fish bowl in a colloquial sense. I have a fairly sizable aquarium, (and by sizable I mean in general, not just in proportion to the rather small human bowl I am required to live in) that is filtered, maintained and fully kitted out. If you feel that is still cruel then I honestly disagree.

We rent this apartment and to use the correct legal term the lease is 'silent' on the matter of pets. Notwithstanding the preceding, I have spoken with my landlords agent and she has cleared the idea of having a cat or dog and the management company has no objection.

As a point of information there are several animals (and indeed children) living in the block.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Could you get a sitter to come in in the middle of the day and let the animal out?

Ask a rescue. Someone might have a particularly placid elderly dog who basically needs a warm place to sleep for most of the day and a potter around in the morning and evening. My 14 year old would go nuts in that situation, but I know some other elderly dogs for whom that would be grand, given someone to let them out in the middle of the day- some of them sleep 16 hours a day easily.

Not guaranteeing they would have any suitable animal or be happy to let you go home with them, but somewhere out there someone might be looking for a home for an older dog who you could provide a good and suitable home for.

I know people who've kept high-energy dogs in apartments when they work all day, and have happy dogs, but they're dedicated dog-people whose leisure hours revolve around the pets. Lots of agility, obedience training, things like that.

Edit: for an elderly or small dog it's even MORE important that they get their walks every day. You will come across people who will tell you that 'it's cruel to take an older arthritic dog out for a walk, let her sleep by the fire' or 'small dogs don't need walking' or whatever. Older dogs get weak much faster, they need regular exercise to keep them healthy and mobile, and to keep them stimulated- and they may have arthritis which will mean they need regular walks to stop their joints getting stiff and painful. Small dogs need a lot more exercise than people think, and can easily get fearful if undersocialized. Just a quick warning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I guess I'll go against the grain here but I'd look at an older (5+) cat who's calm and wants to be a couch potato and a quiet life indoors. If you ask around the various rescues I'm sure they'll be able to advice you if they have (or know of) a suitable cat. This could be cat from someone who's died, can't look after them etc. and would be looking for a permanent home rather than all the cute kittens and as they are harder to place they usually stay around longer as well. You would need to live with a litter box (obviously) and arrange feeding etc. if you go somewhere but it's doable even in a small apartment. The only caveat is you'd need to have nets up on all windows to avoid the cat jumping out and have a squeeze protector (basically something to stop the window to slam shut and hurt the cat).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I think realistically a cat is out of the question. If kept in it would really not be happy with the amount of space. If you were to allow it outside (which I would not reccommend in the city centre) how would it get back in to a third floor apartment when it wanted back in?

As for a dog, if not already house trained this would be problematic. Also would you be willing to walk a dog first thing in the morning, give up your lunch to come home at walk it again and it would need to go out a few times in the evening. What would you do if the dog became destructive or noisy when you are at work. Where would it go in that situation and how would it get there? If there was an emergency and you needed to take the dog to the vet in a hurry how would you get there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

You'd really only suit an older sleepy cat who was used to being an indoor cat but you couldn't leave the windows open without blocking them as it'd be far too dangerous. Or perhaps a special needs cat, like a deaf or 3 legged one, who wouldn't be allowed outside due to its condition.

All the window access would need to be blocked off, securely. I don't think those nets are good enough tbh.

Cats sleep a LOT. One of ours only wakes up to eat, poo, quick meander about, wash herself, back to sleep. I'd say she sleeps 20 hours a day. But she'd go bananas if you didn't let her out when she wants because she is used to going out. You'd need one who doesn't know or want to know outside.

For short trips to the homestead (like one night) you can get bowls that unlock after a particular number of hours. Any longer and you'd either need someone to come in or put the cat in a cattery (which they tend to find stressful).

Oh, just noticed you don't have a car. Not sure how you'd organise vet visits and cattery without a car. They hate being in cat boxes for long periods of time and it'd be horribly scary to be in a cat box on a bus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Oh, just noticed you don't have a car. Not sure how you'd organise vet visits and cattery without a car. They hate being in cat boxes for long periods of time and it'd be horribly scary to be in a cat box on a bus.
    That depends on the cat; we have plenty of howlers in our life but we also had cats who simply go to sleep in the box. Once again this is where a rescue who's evaluated the cat's attitude would come in; I agree the number of possible cats are not big but I do think it's doable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Nody wrote: »
    That depends on the cat; we have plenty of howlers in our life but we also had cats who simply go to sleep in the box. Once again this is where a rescue who's evaluated the cat's attitude would come in; I agree the number of possible cats are not big but I do think it's doable.

True, and there's always lifts and taxis.

The bigger concern for me would be the open windows.

True, and there's always lifts and taxis.

The bigger concern for me would be the open windows.
    I'd agree and it would depend on how they do the net (we had our cats jump all over our window nets without problem; It's a favorite chasing area for flies and birds outside during summer) and how they ensure the windows can not close and hurt the cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

What about rodents ? It might be a really bad idea, I don't know much about them but to me it seems that to have a dog in a small appartment and work full time is a recipe for disaster. I am sure there are some dogs that could deal happily with it but for one of those there is probably 10 who would, through not fault of theirs, make your life miserable either by ruining your relationship with your neighbours (if he barks or whines when your neighbours baby or your neighbour on night shift try to sleep) or by destroying your appartment.
    I would have thought that 2 cats might be ok in an appartment if they are in it since being kittens but honestly, I do not know enough about indoor cats to be sure.
    But have you considered rabbits, hamsters, or rats for example or are you not fond of that idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I think an elderly cat, if you could close or block the open windows would be suitable for you. Your lifestyle and accommodation really isn't suited to a dog to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Cat-owning apartment dweller here. I'd agree with the elderly cat option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

My B-I-L lives in a top floor apartment in Edinburgh. He had two elderly cats that were very happily indoor cats, completely indoor cats, lots of games and play and stimulation, with beds and nests all over the place. They both were very contented and happy well loved and cared for cats, and lived until they were in their 20's with him...

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and advice. I do just want to reassure anyone with concerns that I was very sincere when I said I didn't want a pet at the expense of that pet's quality of life. I have my sims for that.

Having reviewed everyone's posts to date I think I can conclude that getting a pet in general is not really advisable given our situation. That's disappointing but its better than subjecting an animal to a crap existence and to be honest I'm not all together surprised. I am very interested in the suggestion of an elderly cat or a rodent.

If there are any gerbil/guinea pig/other pet rodent types here, does your pet respond to you? For instance when you pick it up (if you can) does it respond to you? Or know you?

With regard to the elderly cat option, which I'm very interested in, would shelters have suitable cats? Would they be able to advise on the caring requirements? The nearest vet is a 15 min walk from our building.

Cheers once again for yer assistance.

EDIT;
    In case anyone is still worried, I grew up with animals. I have helped birth and calve/made beds/hutches/kennels/traps/aquariums for animals my entire life. I've seen animals birth and I've cried inconsolably when animals died and buried them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Hi,

Apartment dwelling cat owner here. Our last little one was blind and deaf and so was confined indoors, when she passed on we got a three legged rascal. I would agree with everybody else that a "normal" cat may not be happy indoors but there are plenty out there that need to be confined for various reasons and these need a home too!

With regard to the elderly cat option, which I'm very interested in, would shelters have suitable cats? Would they be able to advise on the caring requirements?
    Any rescue of any worth would know exactly the caring requirements for the cat (usually and would have a list of cats in their care and having a network for non direct rescue cats. Even if they don't have one in right now they would have your name and number so to speak in case something came up. Your best bet is simply to reach out to a few different rescues, explain your situation and what you are looking for and what you can offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Believe it or not, greyhounds are meant to be excellent indoor pets for your situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I used to have rats. They are great fun, like to play, respond when called and loved to sit on my shoulder under my hair. They were caged, but allowed to run around a bit in the evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

A pair of Guinea Pigs might be an idea. They are very social & whistle with happiness when they see their owner. Lovely little pets. They are more interactive then the smaller rodents.

With regard to the elderly cat option, which I'm very interested in, would shelters have suitable cats? Would they be able to advise on the caring requirements? The nearest vet is a 15 min walk from our building.

Oh yes, absolutely! Elderly cats are usually the hardest to home, in fact adult cats in general are difficult (most people want kittens)! If you want to PM me I'll let you know the name of the rescue I deal with - they're really great at matching their cats to your lifestyle and will happily keep in touch with you to give you all the follow-up advice you need.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Believe it or not, greyhounds are meant to be excellent indoor pets for your situation.

Yep. I've a lurcher, he sleeps pretty much all of the day. 18 hours a day on average according to wiki.

As I type, he's asleep again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I think an older cat, seven years or older, especially one that is hard to rehome because they "should be an only pet", is a good choice for you if you can put screens on the windows. Even a small apartment is enough territory for an indoor cat. A scratching post (even better, a "cat tree") and a kept-clean box are imperative for the cat's own mental and physical health. Definitely take advantage of Dandelion6's offer to introduce you to a rescue. :)

(I had guinea pigs years ago. The dog liked to herd them around on the grass, which was amusing, but the piggies themselves were stupid, boring, and smelly. I came out of the experience sympathizing with the South American Indians who bred them for food.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Iv two indoor cats in a 3 bed two storey apartment, prior to last July had only one. Cats in an apartment is definitely doable. Try to think of their territory as going upwards as well as just simple floor space, so you can very easily expand their territory by giving them tall cat trees and shelves to survey their landscape from. A window overlooking a street or garden provides hours of entertainment. Better again if you have a balcony you can put some bird feeders on, my two nearly lose their lives when a bird lands outside the window. If your not too worried about looking like a bit of an edjit some cats take quite well to a harness and long lead to explore the garden. My two have a bedroom each that I can close them into if need be, handy when they use your bed as a racetrack at 5am or for a sleep in at the weekend.

What are your walls like between you and your nearest neighbour? Will it cause problems if the cat decides to sing when your out at work or in the middle of the night?

Will a cat be welcome at either of your home places if you go home for a few days? If not you'll need to find where the nearest cattery is and factor in the cost of this into holidays.

It requires a little more work having a cat in an apartment and definitely ties me down going places at weekends but it's worth it!

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Will a cat be welcome at either of your home places if you go home for a few days? If not you'll need to find where the nearest cattery is and factor in the cost of this into holidays.

It requires a little more work having a cat in an apartment and definitely ties me down going places at weekends but it's worth it!

If I'm only going away overnight, I set up automatic feeders and leave out an extra bowl of water. More than two days, I get someone in (pawshake.ie is a good site for finding pet sitters near you). They only go to the cattery if I'm going to be away for longer than a long weekend or so. Cats do best not being moved around too much.

Advertisement