Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best foundation is it really mac?

Options
  • 13-01-2016 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi guys , i am not really a huge buyer of make up but since my birthday is coming up I have asked my partner to get me a brown thomas voucher so I can get a good foundation , my sister says to get MAC but i it really as great ? can anyone recommend a nice flawless look

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

There's lots of brands to choose from in BTs so my advice is to some samples and try them out yourself at home. There's lots of gorgeous options available in BTs from brands like Nars, Armani, Laura Mercier etc.. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

It really depends on your own skin type/colour/etc!

I personally hate Mac foundation, does nothing for my skin. My favourite is Estee Lauder Double Wear and also Chanel perfection lumiere. Actually for the past few days I have been using a sample that I got in BT of Yves Saint Laurent Le Teint Touche Éclat Foundation as my skin is very dry from the cold. Got a tiny sample in a pot and it has lasted me about 8 days so far, still a good bit left. So my point is shop around and ask for samples and see how they work out on your skin before you buy anything! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I used MAC for years but wanted a change. I liked Urban Decay naked foundation. For a cheaper option I've been using a L'Oreal foundation and it's just as good as the MAC one I loved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

It's very personal I think. I wouldn't be a massive lover of MAC foundations. Anytime I buy them I regret it - forget and buy them again a couple of months later. I do like their lipsticks and blushers.

I like Estee Lauder foundation and Bobbie Brown is good also.

Go into Brown Thomas and get a few samples of the different brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Mac doesn't suit me at all.
    Try a few out at the counters before you buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Graceless

Love MAC for eyeshadows and lipsticks but hate their foundations. Personally I find YSL, Armani and Chanel the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I second Chanel.
    Also like Elizabeth Arden, but unfortunately they've stopped selling the black compact version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Mac isn't great if you've dry skin, it looks horrible and cakey on me.
    I love lancome and nars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Bought Double wear a few months ago and I absolutely adore it. The first few weeks I caked it on but once I realised less is more I really can't fault it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Definitely get samples of various foundations before buying, you don't want an expensive mistake.

Foundatoin is such a personal thing because everyone's skin is so different in colour, texture, oily/dry/combo etc. that what works for fifty other people, mightn't work for you.
    Addle wrote: »
    I second Chanel.
    Also like Elizabeth Arden, but unfortunately they've stopped selling the black compact version.
    They've changed the packaging to this one - http://www.boots.ie/en/Elizabeth-Arden-Flawless-Finish-Sponge-On-Cream-Makeup-Foundation_1299115/

My mum uses the black compact and a few months ago she found out that the gold one is the same, just a lot more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 anna_x

Hi guys , i am not really a huge buyer of make up but since my birthday is coming up I have asked my partner to get me a brown thomas voucher so I can get a good foundation , my sister says to get MAC but i it really as great ? can anyone recommend a nice flawless look

Not really it's known to break people out. Try out Nars sheer glow, Armani luminous silk, Bobbi brown foundation stick or Chanel lumiere foundation if you want a lighter coverage. They are the top foundations I know of, also makeup forever have amazing foundations but you'll only get them at the makeup forever store not brown Thomas. They also have tons of shades but they are expensive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Nars sheer glow applied with Beauty Blender is the ultimate foundation look for me. Mac looks awful in me and products just don't suit me. The only Mac foundation I like is studio sculpt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

Foundation is extremely personal. It depends on what type of coverage you want, what skin type you have, your skin chemistry with the foundation, etc.

I have dry, sensitive skin that is very acne prone so I can't use most foundations. And I hate heavy coverage. I have tried countless foundations from almost all brands from Boots and department stores. My favourites are Charlotte Tilbury Light Wonder and Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum (which works much better than most of the very expensive stuff I've tried over the years -___-). But these are catered to dry skin and have light coverage.

Dior, Lancome, Shiseido and Chanel foundations are full of alcohol and fragrance, so they irritate my skin to no end.

I've just tried the reformulation of YSL Touche Eclat and had around 10 cystic breakouts all over my face, which is a shame as I liked the original.

Nars Sheer Glow is nice if you like medium to full coverage, and have combo or oily skin. Their tinted moisturiser is quite good as well, but does not agree with my skin.

Estee Lauder foundations are way too heavy for my taste. They sadly discontinued Invisible Fluid :( But there are lots of fans of the Double Wear out there.

Tom Ford Traceless is very close to Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum but not as good, which is ridiculous considering the price. Same goes for Bobbi Brown Skin: Not as good as Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum.

Urban Decay Skin and Armani Luminous Silk might be good for combo to oily skin. Both were a disaster for me.

The only foundation that is worth a d@mn from MAC is Face and Body, which is light but buildable coverage. But it is a pain to remove, even if you're double cleansing with an oil or a balm cleanser -_-

And that is a small proportion of the foundations I've tried :D

tldr: Get samples before committing to buy. The same foundation is different on different people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭8 Bit Girl

The only Mac foundation ive ever tried was the studio fix one, but I wasnt blown away by it.
    Saying that, that was a year ago at this stage and I didnt know much about makeup and didnt have proper brushes or blenders or anything like that at the time.
    Now that I do, Id give it a go again but im not in any rush to be honest.

Advertisement