Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

What if Conor wins? Does he drive Aldo insane by not giving him his rematch, relinquishing the belt and going after Alvarez instead? I suppose the whole idea was to hold 2 belts at once, so that really requires an Aldo rematch.

If he doesn't fight Aldo after Nate his belt should be stripped and have Aldo fight Holloway for the vacated belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

What if Conor wins? Does he drive Aldo insane by not giving him his rematch, relinquishing the belt and going after Alvarez instead? I suppose the whole idea was to hold 2 belts at once, so that really requires an Aldo rematch.

I'd be worried for Aldo's mental health if he didn't get his rematch tbh. I've never seen anyone as obsessed about getting revenge in all my years of watching the sport, few have come close to that but I've never seen anything like it. He's a bitter man, but he's on a mission.

McGregor will get his LW title shot down the line but he'll be ridiculed if he doesn't go back down once more to defend his FW title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Yeah I totally agree with you all, but a small part of me sees McGregor the ultimate troll decide he couldn't be arsed with dropping weight again, and instead concentrates on LW. Would completely tarnish his reputation but does he care about reputation at this stage, or ever? It's all about the benjamins with Conor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Yeah I totally agree with you all, but a small part of me sees McGregor the ultimate troll decide he couldn't be arsed with dropping weight again, and instead concentrates on LW. Would completely tarnish his reputation but does he care about reputation at this stage, or ever? It's all about the benjamins with Conor.

I have no problem with him deciding he is done with FW, but vacate the belt and dont hold up a division just to say you are a champ.

Whats max on now 9 or 10 fight win streak since his loss to el tappo and no sign of a shot at a belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Oh totally, no doubt, he'd have to relinquish the belt. Aldo would probably try and chase him up to LW :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

I think if he does decided to vacate, it will look like he is dodging a rejuvenated Aldo. I can't imagine that perception will sit well with Conor. For that reason alone, I believe he will go back to FW at least once more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Personally I don't think it will look like dodging or tarnish his reputation.

If he was to beat Diaz and be offered Eddie I think he'd be mad not to go for it.

Aldo is a bigger money fight now though probably, only pull the Eddie fight has is the two division champion. Not sure that's enough to get non hardcore buyers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dashoonage wrote: »
    I'd like to see him defend a belt at some point in his career, Champions need to defend belts.
    You must of been livid when he was signed to UFC without defending his Cage Warriors belts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Mellor wrote: »
    You must of been livid when he was signed to UFC without defending his Cage Warriors belts

I didnt sleep for weeks man....was devastated! I've been on a downward spiral since...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It was an estrogen blocker, not estrogen itself. An estrogen blocker wouldn't cause low test, nor would it mask test usage afaik. Are you thinking of epitest?

Estrogen blockers are used to stop your body converted excess test into estrogen. Prevent gyno, stuff like that. Could be avail OTC in the US, but probably stronger medical versions too.

Yeah, you are right, didn't realise increased T levels meant increased estrogen. Didn't know you could get them OTC either.

Do people who are on TRT need to take estrogen blockers? I think Chael tried to say at the time that he was taking them to counteract coming off TRT.

Be interesting to see what shape Jones comes back in, if he ever does return. Will be a major hint if he's been juicing his whole career IMO. People like Mir and Vitor who have been on TRT for a large chunk of their career seem to turn to jelly without it, most likely f*cked up their natural T production.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Jon Jones is so full of sh1t, two of his brothers play in the NFL, a sport in which PEDs are basically mandatory, yet he has spent his career peddling the anti-drug mantra. Glad he has been caught

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,897 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Dong Hyun Kim injured, out of 202, UFC looking for replacement to take on Magny. Would be epic if Gunni got on the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Dong Hyun Kim injured, out of 202, UFC looking for replacement to take on Magny. Would be epic if Gunni got on the card.

For anyone going it would be great to have another fighter with Irish connections but I wonder if Gunni likes fighting on McGregor cards(had mixed results) or maybe enjoyed being the sole focus of the team after his last fight(Rotterdam). The circus going on around McGregor would be a distraction for someone preparing for their own battle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Imagine if this was true :pac:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/4si0wl/was_ariel_helwanis_ufc_source_nick_the_tooth/
    Considering the oddly coincidental timing and the fact that his absence and sudden departure from the latest episode of Dana White's Looking For a Fight, wasn't explained or talked about the entire episode. Which went to a reshoot, after he was replaced by Din Thomas.

I think it's safe to assume, he was "The Mole" that the UFC finally smoked out. He's also one of a handful of people with access to that kind of intimate knowledge and information, who isn't contractually bound to any Zuffa/UFC Non-Disclosure Agreements. Which is why we have yet to hear or see any legal action being taken against "The Mole" for breaching their contract.
    Dana also said on unfiltered that Ariels leaks almost cost him a 15 year friendship. Some thought he was talking about Ariel, but Ariel was never his friend.

I'm sure most have heard it by now, but Chael Sonnen on Joe Rogan's podcast yesterday is well worth a listen. They speak a lot about Jon Jones and his current situation, and who better than someone like Sonnen to provide insight:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Paully D wrote: »
    They speak a lot about Jon Jones and his current situation, and who better than someone like Sonnen to provide insight:

Depends on whether you believe what Sonnen says in true or take it with a fistful of salt :D I like listening to Sonnen, he's a good talker, but everything he says I wonder if its true. He wasn't exactly known as truthful while he was fighting. I was listening earlier while DIYING(wrecking) the front room, enjoyable chats but had to stop a few times and listen, especially when they started discussing Joey Diaz :pac: The stuff he was saying about Wanderlie.....is it true? It sounds plausible BUT when I think back to any footage I seen at that time between the 2, I can't imagine them sitting down discussing anything or Wanderlie even giving him a chance to say anything without smacking him. Jones pishing under the octagon to avoid the testers? How would Sonnen know?

Urijah v Jimmie Rivera set for UFC 203. Nice fight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

UFC 198: 290k
    UFC 199: 320k

2 excellent cards and they only done that,crazy.

Gamebred wrote: »
    UFC 198: 290k
    UFC 199: 320k

2 excellent cards and they only done that,crazy.

Pretty standard for a card that doesn't have Conor or Ronda on to be around that 300,000 mark though, isn't it (UFC 100 and 200 excepted of course)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Paully D wrote: »
    Pretty standard for a card that doesn't have Conor or Ronda on to be around that 300,000 mark though, isn't it (UFC 100 and 200 excepted of course)?

Yeah thought them 2 would do ok though hw title on one,vitor jacare,199 was a terrific card before any of the recent ones I said If I could only pick one card from 198 99 and 200 I woulda picked 199 and it ended up living up to its billing,

Suppose 60 quid for the 3 each is pricey for the murican viewers.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    Yeah, you are right, didn't realise increased T levels meant increased estrogen. Didn't know you could get them OTC either.

Do people who are on TRT need to take estrogen blockers? I think Chael tried to say at the time that he was taking them to counteract coming off TRT.
    I think the body tries to remain in balance (homostasis?). You if you fill up lots of artificial test, it aromatises it into estrogen. That's why wanna-bodybuilders juicing with ho clue what they are doing end up with gyno, aka man-boobs. It's actual breast tissue developing.

Steroid user either take a drug to stop it converting while on test (I guess it would benefit TRT users too, but not sure). Or they take a blocker when they finish. Sonnen popped for a blocker in his final failure, and sounds like Jones was in the same boat.

I'm not certain about the OTC part. The medical grade stuff would be subscription. I know they stuff in the supplement shop near me like branded like that. But i'm no idea sure if its real.
    The latest industry tactic appears to pick that resembles a prescription drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

I know Chael isn't the most reliable but revealing the substances and Jones supposedly hiding under a ring to avoid testers would be quite the defamatory porkies to be telling. Which leads me to believe that they are true and UFC wanted /didnt mind that info put out there in the wake of the damage Jones caused the 200 card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Listened to Rogan there, didn't know Bruce done his ACL again last week at lip sync , he was just on about that recently on mmahour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Tssk wrote: »
    I know Chael isn't the most reliable but revealing the substances and Jones supposedly hiding under a ring to avoid testers would be quite the defamatory porkies to be telling. Which leads me to believe that they are true and UFC wanted /didnt mind that info put out there in the wake of the damage Jones caused the 200 card.

Chael has never been a mouth piece for the company though.

The hiding under the cage rumour has been around for ages, didn't originate from Chael anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

If Nate beats Conor I'd love to see him get a shot at Alvarez's belt next.
    +1

He's currently 3rd in line at LW behind Khabib and Tony Ferg. Two high profile fights with Conor could see him being the $$$ choice verses Eddie.
    They had some words when Eddie beat Gil. Along the lines of;
    "F*ck you, stockton wut"
    "F*ck you you, you're f*ckin' next"

Sells itself

+1

Alvarez was on this weeks MMA hour and said that its a joke that McG and Diaz get the big payday for that LW fight.
    He should get the big payday vs the winner of the fight.
    He also said in his last 4 fights he has beaten

Melendez
    Cerrone
    Pettis
    RDA

I do hope that the UFC give him his payday next fight as champ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

If Nate beats Conor I'd love to see him get a shot at Alvarez's belt next.
    +1

He's currently 3rd in line at LW behind Khabib and Tony Ferg. Two high profile fights with Conor could see him being the $$ choice verses Eddie.
    They had some words when Eddie beat Gil. Along the lines of;
    "F*ck you, stockton wut"
    "F*ck you you, you're f*ckin' next"

Sells itself

+1

Alvarez was on this weeks MMA hour and said that its a joke that McG and Diaz get the big payday for that LW fight.

Melendez
    Cerrone
    Pettis
    RDA

Alvarez lost to Cowboy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

shrewdness wrote: »
    Alvarez lost to Cowboy.

My bad. I meant to write fought those four and won 3 out of 4 :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

shrewdness wrote: »
    Alvarez lost to Cowboy.

Fascinating

+1

Melendez
    Cerrone
    Pettis
    RDA

Paydays aren't rewards for winning belts. It's a share of PPV sales.
    McGregor v Diaz 1 did insane numbers. And 202 will be similar.

Those fight Eddie mentioned were mediocre PPVs, or fight nights. And he was only Main event for the title fight. Eddie's only hope of a McGregor/Diaz type payday is to fight McGregor maybe Diaz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

JJayoo wrote: »
    Fascinating

:confused: Just correcting the post that said he beat Cerrone. Didn't mean to come off like a dick.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement