Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Saw this mentioned elsewhere, but starting this weekend there's only one weekend between now and October where there's no UFC event :eek::D

That's the weekend before McGregor v Diaz 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Do yous think the size of venue would be a major stumbling block? Reason I ask is I noticed echo arena in Liverpool have no events between 1st & 15th of October. I think Liverpool is similar distance away from Clitheroe(where Bispings from) to Manchester. Its a smaller venue than MEN though. Cheap flights out of Belfast to both anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Devastator wrote: »
    Do yous think the size of venue would be a major stumbling block? Reason I ask is I noticed echo arena in Liverpool have no events between 1st & 15th of October. I think Liverpool is similar distance away from Clitheroe(where Bispings from) to Manchester. Its a smaller venue than MEN though. Cheap flights out of Belfast to both anyway :)

I'd say the Manchester boy in him won't let that happen, either at home or in London it is. I would much, much prefer the event in Liverpool myself though, it's a really great spot to head out for the night too.

Echo Arena is actually much smaller than the MEN though, just doesn't make sense that they'd go there for half the crowd they could get in Manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Condit v Maia pulled from 202 and moves to the main event slot on Fox 21.

That's disappointing. It would have added a lot to what is going to be a superb night on August 20th.

martyos121 wrote: »
    I'd say the Manchester boy in him won't let that happen, either at home or in London it is. I would much, much prefer the event in Liverpool myself though, it's a really great spot to head out for the night too.

Echo Arena is actually much smaller than the MEN though, just doesn't make sense that they'd go there for half the crowd they could get in Manchester.

How's he a Manchester boy? I was always under the impression he was from CLitheroe.....its a random tiny place, so much so I couldn't have made that up! :D I think he was introduced "from Clitheroe" when he was 1st in UFC, but none of the American's would have a clue so changed to Manchester as they'll heard of it,probably.

Event's not going to be over until 4am, might not be too many places still open or letting people in. I've been on nights out in both, both good spots

• Advertisement

How's he a Manchester boy? I was always under the impression he was from CLitheroe.....its a random tiny place, so much so I couldn't have made that up! :D I think he was introduced "from Clitheroe" when he was 1st in UFC, but none of the American's would have a clue so changed to Manchester as they'll heard of it,probably.

Event's not going to be over until 4am, might not be too many places still open or letting people in. I've been on nights out in both, both good spots

Ah I just usually tend to narrow down Lancashire to Manchester in fairness. :D Not sure what the facilities are like in Clitheroe to facilitate a huge UFC card but I'll go out on a limb and say they're slightly below the desired standard. :pac: He's also a United fan I just read so he does have a strong connection with Manchester based on that alone.

Either way, it's definitely not one to miss going to with it being so near, still undecided on going all out and making a weekend of it or just flying over and back just to catch the fights so I can avoid paying for accomodation at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Went over to park life in Manchester last month, I'd much rather it was in Liverpool if there was a choice, don't rate Manchester all that much. Positive for anyone who likes the type of music is that the warehouse project will be on in Victoria Warehouse that weekend.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Ah I just usually tend to narrow down Lancashire to Manchester in fairness. :D Not sure what the facilities are like in Clitheroe to facilitate a huge UFC card but I'll go out on a limb and say they're slightly below the desired standard. :pac: He's also a United fan I just read so he does have a strong connection with Manchester based on that alone.

Either way, it's definitely not one to miss going to with it being so near, still undecided on going all out and making a weekend of it or just flying over and back just to catch the fights so I can avoid paying for accomodation at all.

My geography if England is crap but looked on map earlier. Liverpool & Manchester look about same distance away from Clitheroe. I was trying to find some of his early fights to see if they do say Clitheroe but could only find in the Schafer fight Buffer says "fighting out of Liverpool"....that generally means the gym though I think. He used to(or still does?) train & talk about the wolfslair gym which was in Liverpool.

I'm not doing a weekend, save on the money plus with the new weigh ins now they don't seem as good a spectacle as they did before. Obviously better for the fighters but don't think the fan experience would be as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Paully D wrote: »
    Condit v Maia pulled from 202 and moves to the main event slot on Fox 21.

That's disappointing. It would have added a lot to what is going to be a superb night on August 20th.

That event is picking up Lauzon/Miller 2 was added earlier.

5 rounds favors Condit more than it would Maia now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

What's the story with John Hathaway. Hasn't fought in 2 years

• Advertisement

I'm not doing a weekend, save on the money plus with the new weigh ins now they don't seem as good a spectacle as they did before. Obviously better for the fighters but don't think the fan experience would be as good.

Got to agree about the weigh-ins. The whole fake weighing-in is beyond stupid. You can watch the Q&As on fightpass so only worth going if you want to ask a question/beg for a selfie. I think you now don't even get early access/poster anymore with fightclub membership. Harder to see who had a tough weight cut too which i kept an eye on for betting reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Dtp1979 wrote:

Was Hathaway scheduled to fight gunni in the Dublin card two years ago???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Dtp1979 wrote: »

And two years before that. 1 fight in 4 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

And two years before that. 1 fight in 4 years...

Title shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Interesting move for TUF.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/7/19/12232326/the-ultimate-fighter-24-flyweight-cast-revealed

All competitors are champions in their current promotion and the winner of the season gets a title shot against Johnson.

Hopefully with a group of champions there will be a bit more maturity and common sense and less drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Now that's a good idea! MM will still wreck any of them but should be a good season none the less of actual champions. The last few seasons of TUF, some people looked like they were in their first fight, never mind be UFC calibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Interesting move for TUF.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/7/19/12232326/the-ultimate-fighter-24-flyweight-cast-revealed

All competitors are champions in their current promotion and the winner of the season gets a title shot against Johnson.

Hopefully with a group of champions there will be a bit more maturity and common sense and less drama.

Loving the sound of this! Should be a great season. Some genuine badasses there plus a few (most of em actually!!) who I've never even heard of to be honest. Also a few guys hoping to get back into the UFC through the back door.

On a side note: ONE champ Aknetov noticeable by his absence. And do Bellator even have a FlyW division?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Now that's a good idea! MM will still wreck any of them but should be a good season none the less of actual champions. The last few seasons of TUF, some people looked like they were in their first fight, never mind be UFC calibre.

Agreed, although to give credit where its due I think the most recent season (Joanna v Claudia) had some legit talent in both weightclasses.

JO Calderwood Vs Jessica Andrade added to 203 card
    Building into a good looking card

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

JO Calderwood Vs Jessica Andrade added to 203 card
    Building into a good looking card

Some very fun fights at 115lbs lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭smilerf

John_D80 wrote: »
    Loving the sound of this! Should be a great season. Some genuine badasses there plus a few (most of em actually!!) who I've never even heard of to be honest. Also a few guys hoping to get back into the UFC through the back door.

On a side note: ONE champ Aknetov noticeable by his absence. And do Bellator even have a FlyW division?
    I'm just guessing but I'd imagine they would be under watertight contracts where there would be a bit off leeway with the others akin to pro wrestling Indy circuit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

John_D80 wrote: »

OneFC, Bellator and WSOF would all have their fighters locked into 4 to 6 fight contracts just like the UFC do. Smaller regional promotions would have agreements with the bigger organisations that their fighters can move on to the bigger shows. Titan and Legacy are basically UFC feeder promotions and BAMMA have a link to Bellator through Spike l

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

MM will rip whoever wins apart and do it quickly.
    I'd back him to beat all of them one after the other in the same night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Fromvert wrote: »

Now thats how they make that division interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Fromvert wrote: »

crazy thing about mm is every fighter seems to have x fighter with y attribute will show him up, but with mm I just cant see any aspects of his game with holes in it

Depp wrote: »
    crazy thing about mm is every fighter seems to have x fighter with y attribute will show him up, but with mm I just cant see any aspects of his game with holes in it

His only weakness is not knowing how to sell fights. If he turned into a complete dickhead, he'd be a much bigger star, as sad as it is to say. He hasn't got the neck for self-promotion, it's such a huge factor in the UFC.

As a fighter alone, he is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Depp wrote: »

He really is so well rounded and it's not that he's just good at everything, he's better than everyone in the division at it. The only thing I can see catching him out is if he just took it for granted but Matt Hume seems like the type of guy who'd kick him if he saw him letting it slip a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,657 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Gintonious wrote: »

one of them what? one of them whos not going to vote for a puppet for the banks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

wow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement