Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

On his worst day, with one arm tied behind his back, Tim Kennedy annihilates Chael IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I can never understand why people want to see drug cheats come back into the sport. Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

The only fight that could be big for Chael is a Silva rematch and I think Silva would KO him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Can someone explain to me the attraction of womens mma? for some reason I found myself watching the Holm fight last night.....my God pathetic on every level, and I can honestly say for the few womens bouts I've watched I've never felt a reason to feel any different .....why is it given the same credence as mens mma? and why is it up there on main ppv events.... is it an equality thing? I can't think of anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me the attraction of womens mma? for some reason I found myself watching the Holm fight last night.....my God pathetic on every level, and I can honestly say for the few womens bouts I've watched I've never felt a reason to feel any different .....why is it given the same credence as mens mma? and why is it up there on main ppv events.... is it an equality thing? I can't think of anything else

raw-1.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

115 is one of the best divisions in the UFC. Excellent mix of striking, grappling and stamina. Most 115 fights are wimmin gong hell for leather trying for a finish. 115 has much higher quality than 135 wmma imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm guessing the Oregon Gangster will have some news tomorrow..

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/757262868354072576

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'm guessing the Oregon Gangster will have some news tomorrow..

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/757262868354072576

I'd imagine so, UFC recently announced an event in Portland too.

He might finally tell us who DB Cooper is too

If we're correct and 204 is on Oct 8th, it may interest some to know that the Rugby League Super League Grand Final is on the same day at Old Trafford, K.O. 6pm. Tickets from £20
    http://www.rugby-league.com/tickets/first_utility_super_league_grand_final

Been to a few League games but not in the UK. Usually a good atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

sonofenoch wrote:

Idiot comment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Idiot comment

Why is it an idiotic comment? I'm not saying I agree or disagree with him, but he makes a valid point.

There is a serious lack of suspense (One-Punch KOs) in WMMA compared to Men's MMA. That can't be denied.

sonofenoch wrote:

OK I'll assume you're being genuine and respond. I think it's a big presumption to say women's mma is crap based on a couple of fights you've seen. Holm v rousey was spectacular for the drama of it. Tate v Holm is one of the fights of the year. Pena v Nunez was probably the most techical ground battle at ufc 200. It's too easy to pick a couple of fights and generalise. Just like the men's, some are excellent fights and some disappoint.

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Idiot comment

No it's an opinion, and it's also an opinion to say the standard is appalling....there are 100's if not 1000's of fighters toiling away in **** shows far more skilled and talented than these women at the big events and even more laughably main cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

sonofenoch wrote:
    No it's an opinion, and it's also an opinion to say the standard is appalling....there are 100's if not 1000's of fighters toiling away in **** shows far more skilled and talented than these women at the big events and even more laughably main cards

Spoken like a fool who's never dedicated his or her life to something, never mind trying to be the best in the world at it

These girls have all spent years doing boxing,Thai,judo,bjj etc and have transitioned in mma. I take my hat off to them... because I'd not like taking a beating like some of these girls get and then have some anonymous keyboard warrior talk crap all over what you've tried to do.

I'd lay thousands that you'd not last one minute with any of these girls you're talking such crap about.

Yes you're entitled to an opinion but stating such absolute bs invalidates it straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Women's strawweight and bantamweight are two of my favourite divisions in the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Actually never thought of it before but I've never seen a womens heavyweight fight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Actually never thought of it before but I've never seen a womens heavyweight fight :D

they happen aaite, rizin had one and as far as i know invicta have a heavyweight division

scratch that they only go up as far as 145

brinty wrote: »
    Spoken like a fool who's never dedicated his or her life to something, never mind trying to be the best in the world at it

These girls have all spent years doing boxing,Thai,judo,bjj etc and have transitioned in mma. I take my hat off to them... because I'd not like taking a beating like some of these girls get and then have some anonymous keyboard warrior talk crap all over what you've tried to do.

I'd lay thousands that you'd not last one minute with any of these girls you're talking such crap about.

Yes you're entitled to an opinion but stating such absolute bs invalidates it straight away.

I see only one keyboard warrior here......here's a question, female mma is separate from the mens, different events different cards....how do the numbers stack up in comparison to now (and you can throw the name Rousey around all you like remembering she'd never have gotten the same exposure and marketing) ........I'm so un pc aren't I, the shock horror of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

sonofenoch wrote:
    I see only one keyboard warrior here......here's a question, female mma is separate from the mens, different events different cards....how do the numbers stack up in comparison to now (and you can throw the name Rousey around all you like remembering she'd never have gotten the same exposure and marketing) ........I'm so un pc aren't I, the shock horror of it

Absolutely you're un-pc
    You're also being a troll

sonofenoch wrote:

If your interested in discussing this topic why not reply to the one person that didn't jump down your throat? I think it says a lot about your intentions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Depp wrote: »
    they happen aaite, rizin had one and as far as i know invicta have a heavyweight division

scratch that they only go up as far as 145
    You're right about Rizin. They had a HW fight with Gabi Garcia.
    Prior to McGregor, Rousey was the biggest draw.

But what are numbers supposed to prove? I'd imagine the men's final at Wimbledon does more viewers than the women's. Should women not allowed to play tennis either?

If your interested in discussing this topic why not reply to the one person that didn't jump down your throat? I think it says a lot about your intentions.

But why is it so taboo to say womens mma is poor and why do some take such personal offence by it ....the first response was that of a popcorn giff or something as if to say I've lifted the lid on a powder keg .......sure they've put years of training into their craft, but so do special Olympians so do plumbers and plasterers ...but I'm not paying to watch

Mellor wrote: »
    But what are numbers supposed to prove? I'd imagine the men's final at Wimbledon does more viewers than the women's. Should women not allowed to play tennis either?

I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed do anything......it's funny you mentioned tennis, it's a sport where the womens level is equal to and sometimes better than mens........the same cannot be said of mma or most combat sports, how does womens boxing fair for example what are the ppv numbers like without the marketing of the mens game, are there even any ppv womens boxing events

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

But why is it so taboo to say womens mma is poor and why do some take such personal offence by it ....the first response was that of a popcorn giff or something as if to say I've lifted the lid on a powder keg .......sure they've put years of training into their craft, but so do special Olympians so do plumbers and plasterers ...but I'm not paying to watch

You dont have to watch but its not "poor". Nunes dismantling tate is as skilful as a man doing it to a man in a title fight. Holm ko'ing rousey and holm against tate are the other notable ones. Plenty of crap fights. Plenty of crap male fights too. Thats just how it is.

Your prejudice and condescending attitude to their skill set is based on sexism.

Golf is probably a perfect example as the women have to be so technically sound as they lack the power but its no less a spectacle to watch, they are as good as the men apart from the natural power deficit.

As for paying to watch. You pay for the whole card not a single fight.

You dont have to watch but its not "poor". Nunes dismantling tate is as skilful as a man doing it to a man in a title fight. Holm ko'ing rousey and holm against tate are the other notable ones. Plenty of crap fights. Plenty of crap male fights too. Thats just how it is.

Your prejudice and condescending attitude to their skill set is based on sexism.

Golf is probably a perfect example as the women have to be so technically sound as they lack the power but its no less a spectacle to watch, they are as good as the men apart from the natural power deficit.

As for paying to watch. You pay for the whole card not a single fight.

Right then, this was the main card of a big event last night for anyone that didn't see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow2c86rED2c

these are 2 of the best around or it wouldn't be the top draw.....that standard is appalling, appalling or am I just making things up

I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed do anything......it's funny you mentioned tennis, it's a sport where the womens level is equal to and sometimes better than mens........the same cannot be said of mma or most combat sports, how does womens boxing fair for example what are the ppv numbers like without the marketing of the mens game, are there even any ppv womens boxing events
    It's sounds like you are saying they shouldn't be there tbh. Asking "why are they even there"?
    Why is it on the "men's" PPV. It's not a men's PPV btw, it's a UFC PPV.
    Again, you mention PPVs in boxing, what does that prove?

You said women's tennis is "better" than the men? By what measure? Not ability that's for sure. Yet you feel they've something for offer. Same exists to an MMA fan.

The standard in women's MMA isn't as high as men's. Denying that is silly. But that's understandable, it's s smaller pool. The top women are technically than the lower tier men in the UFC.

that standard is appalling, appalling or am I just making things up
    do you reckon you'd do 5 rounds with either :pac:

Haven't seen that fight yet. Thanks for the link.

Well then there's no more to say......womens mma is up there with the super bellyweights in the novelty stakes, that's my opinion I'm not trying to convert anyone

Mellor wrote: »
    do you reckon you'd do 5 rounds with either :pac:

That old cheap chestnut....I take it from that that nobody should be allowed critique any sport, nobody should be allowed critique movies or literature or politics because they themselves can't do it at the same level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭qwabercd

The Holm - Shevchenko fight was very enjoyable imo. Shevchenko showed a great range of striking/kicking and the timing of some of her counters was very impressive, let off some nice combinations too. She even threw in an axe kick at one stage! Shevchenko for me displayed a wider range of skills (on the feet) than most male MMA fighters possess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement