Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

in my experience most of the people that disparage womens mma are the typical 'stand and bang bro' guys you see pop up, in womens mma the talent pool is definitely not as deep but at the top level a womens fight has exactly the same potential to be enjoyable as a top level mens fight, and they often are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

sonofenoch wrote: »
    I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed do anything......it's funny you mentioned tennis, it's a sport where the womens level is equal to and sometimes better than mens........the same cannot be said of mma or most combat sports, how does womens boxing fair for example what are the ppv numbers like without the marketing of the mens game, are there even any ppv womens boxing events

Women's tennis level is equal or better than men's, are you smoking crack?
    Any of the top 100 men would destroy Serena Williams.

I judge each fight on its merits. I've enjoyed lots of female fights. I've found some poor. Same as any other division in the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That old cheap chestnut....I take it from that that nobody should be allowed critique any sport, nobody should be allowed critique movies or literature or politics because they themselves can't do it at the same level
    No of course not.
    But you're criticism above was based around the "appalling standard"? I was trying to figure out what your cut-off is for acceptable standard. As many of the mens UFC entry level fights would be below that imo.

Using the tennis example. Women are no where near as good as the men, its crazy that you said it was "better". But their credibility as a televised sport isn't based on their relative ability.
    Maybe you were meant that it's better to watch, rather then ability against each other.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Mellor wrote: »
    do you reckon you'd do 5 rounds with either :pac:

That's a pretty crap argument. Most of us here wouldn't last 5 seconds with anyone in the UFC let alone 5 rounds doesn't mean we can't criticise them. Saying that I can't agree with sonofenoch. There are plenty of good women's MMA fights and plenty of **** men's ones. In the last season of TUF, the women's fights were better than the men's fights. The Pena Zingano at UFC 200 fight was way better and more entertaining than some of the men's fights that night.

• Advertisement

That's a pretty crap argument. Most of us here wouldn't last 5 seconds with anyone in the UFC let alone 5 rounds doesn't mean we can't criticise them.
    :rolleyes:

Did you not read the rest of the post? or the second post?
    I clearly said anyone is free to criticise, but the criticism still has to make sense.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

:rolleyes:

Did you not read the rest of the post? or the second post?
    I clear said anyone is free to criticise, but the criticism still has to make sense.

Yeah, I read the rest of that post. It said nothing of the sort. I didn't see your last post before I made that post. The point still stands, disregarding someone's opinion (however stupid it may seem) because they couldn't go 5 rounds with the people they're criticising is just as stupid.

Yeah, I read the rest of that post. It said nothing of the sort. I didn't see your last post before I made that post. The point still stands, disregarding someone's opinion (however stupid it may seem) because they couldn't go 5 rounds with the people they're criticising is just as stupid.

It was a joke. That should have been clear from the :pac:
    I clearly said "no course not" when he asked if I was implying that he couldn't criticise if he couldn't of 5 rounds.
    You said you didn't see it, fair enough. But you've now seen it, and are still going on with the same silly point :confused:

His entire point was that womens don't deserved to be there as they aren't as good as men.
    That's a pretty dumb criticism. They should be there on their own merits vrs other women, not men. Ot else there's be very few female sports. As women are going to be behind men in a lot of them tbh.

Have to say I'm a fan of WMMA. They might not have highlight-reel KO's every fight but neither does the mens BW or FlyW who physically are capable of more power.
    The women have had to REALLY fight to get where they are, training mostly with men with less options to showcase their skills and improve.

Was glad to see Ais, Waterson & De Randamie added to Hamburg. Joanna in Berlin, Holly v Tate, De Randamie in Rotterdam, all amazing to watch live. Loads more coming through.

It's clear some ppl just want knockouts, as heard by the booing at chicago and most other US cards when it's on the floor for more than 30 secs. The uneducated might learn, the chauvinists probably wont but at least 1 WMMA fight on a card is a plus for me.

http://severemma.com/2016/07/dan-henderson-confirms-will-retire-win-lose-bisping-ufc-204/
    Henderson will retire whether he wins or loses. I would love to see him KO Bisping and then retire. If Henderson wins then retires we can then have Rockhold v Weidman/Jacare for the belt and return some normalcy to the division.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

http://severemma.com/2016/07/dan-henderson-confirms-will-retire-win-lose-bisping-ufc-204/
    Henderson will retire whether he wins or loses. I would love to see him KO Bisping and then retire. If Henderson wins then retires we can then have Rockhold v Weidman/Jacare for the belt and return some normalcy to the division.

I don't mind what he says, I guarantee he will not retire if he wins. Not buying that for a second, if there's money to be made for him, he won't pass it by.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

On WMMA (back to this again :)) I can grasp why some people don't want to view females fight that's fair enough.

But to actually involve yourself and play it down I personally think is baffling, recently over international fight week and how the fights played out the top 3 most intriguing in the end were for me easily RDA/Alvarez, JJ/Gadelha & Tate/Nunes. JJ/Gadhela will certainly make it in a lot of fight of year lists come years end.

For me no matter what division, fights vary no matter what that's why we tune in at the end of the day tbh, I wouldn't lay a black mark over a particular division even if Heavyweight can be a headscratcher at times, ye saw Henrique v Smoalikov last night right? superb display :rolleyes:

Don't you just hate it when you think fighting in Pride it's 2004, but then the bell rings and you remember it's 2016

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIQE6fOjGSp/

I think bisping deals with the current ped free iteration of henderson easily enough, not a bad call retiring though chap has way too many miles on the clock

Depp wrote: »
    I think bisping deals with the current ped free iteration of henderson easily enough, not a bad call retiring though chap has way too many miles on the clock

Hendo has one way and one way only to win. The big KO. He's only pulled it off 3 times in his current UFC run, 10 fights over 5 years. And they were all guys who where willing to stand and trade. Shogun, Tim Botesch, Te-Huna.
    I fancy Bisping to take Dan into the champion rounds and let him drown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Reports that Nick Diaz has signed a contract to fight on 204, opponent not named yet though.

Reports that Nick Diaz has signed a contract to fight on 204, opponent not named yet though.

I dont see Diaz really bringing anything to the card. He'd be more appreciated on an American card. He's not big in Europe and I can't see his fans travelling over in any big numbers. Only thing I can think is to get the US audience to buy the PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

No of course not.
    But you're criticism above was based around the "appalling standard"? I was trying to figure out what your cut-off is for acceptable standard. As many of the mens UFC entry level fights would be below that imo.

Using the tennis example. Women are no where near as good as the men, its crazy that you said it was "better". But their credibility as a televised sport isn't based on their relative ability.
    Maybe you were meant that it's better to watch, rather then ability against each other.

That's what I meant, the entertainment value and the quality of competition, not hat the top women could beat the top men

on womens mma again and you'll be glad to hear it's my last as I'm sure we're all bored listening to it.......how many here are football fans? and how many of them think womens football is on a par for watching, how many will watch it and think that was a great game ....I never have

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

That's what I meant, the entertainment value and the quality of competition, not hat the top women could beat the top men

on womens mma again and you'll be glad to hear it's my last as I'm sure we're all bored listening to it.......how many here are football fans? and how many of them think womens football is on a par for watching, how many will watch it and think that was a great game ....I never have

And what relevance does women's soccer have to MMA? Absolutely none apart from highlight the sexist undertone of your posts. In most sports you mentioned you fail to point out or maybe aren't aware that women didn't get to take part in those sports at a professional level till a lot later than men. As such there simply isn't the pool of women involved that their is men or the same level of skill in some cases due to the time their sport has been available to women to play or train at the same competitive level as men.

There is a simple solution to your problem and that is just don't watch if it doesn't interest you. If you want to discuss women's MMA do so but continue to troll and you will be out the door quicker than a Ronda Rousey sub on Cat Zingano..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Some very silly posts, I mean if the logic is to rate all quality against the top male fighters in the UFC then surely your asking to shut down the smaller organisations and all local shows.

Even the soccer comparison is daft, by the premiership standard all soccer played within Ireland is woeful so should it be shutdown?

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    Some very silly posts, I mean if the logic is to rate all quality against the top male fighters in the UFC then surely your asking to shut down the smaller organisations and all local shows.
    Sure why stop at other orgs, why not just fire everyone in the UFC except for the top two guys in each division. And have them fight each other continuously
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

JJayoo wrote: »

Even the soccer comparison is daft, by the premiership standard all soccer played within Ireland is woeful so should it be shutdown?

No never suggested shutting down anything but by the same token those smaller events are not given prime time coverage ......or in this case headlining gala events at the MGM in Vegas etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

I notice that UFC203 is now available to purchase on UFC.tv as normal, we all know they have blacked out UFC202 because of new tv rights etc, so I'm wondering why they have UFC203 available for purchase. Hmmmmmm

shocksy wrote: »
    I notice that UFC203 is now available to purchase on UFC.tv as normal, we all know they have blacked out UFC202 because of new tv rights etc, so I'm wondering why they have UFC203 available for purchase. Hmmmmmm

Eir?

Eir?

Eir is the reason 202 is blocked out, so if they have the rights then surely all the UFC events would be blocked out in Ireland? I don't know, it's all very secretive since they took over :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Sure why stop at other orgs, why not just fire everyone in the UFC except for the top two guys in each division. And have them fight each other continuously
    ;)

Joseph Benavidez likes this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Not to keep banging this drum as there's still nothing official, but flights to Manc on 8-9th Oct can be got for €25 again today - sale on Ryanair site.

Eir is the reason 202 is blocked out, so if they have the rights then surely all the UFC events would be blocked out in Ireland? I don't know, it's all very secretive since they took over :pac:

They seem to be pushing UFC202 on their adverts, Not in general or UFC 201 which is before it. Clearly they've isolated Mcgregors presence on that 202 card as the main selling point which is hardly surprising.

Think about it I guess...blackout the Mcgregor card and Eir is the legal go to outlet for it, they gain subscribers for a couple of months at least off the back of it, they won't be overly concerned about people using another source for 203 etc hence no blackout as surely any potential subscribers to their package specifically for UFC would have done so prior to 202.

really hope this isnt true, not a fear of me getting eir any time soon and if its blocked on fightpass/youtube illegal streams be my only option

• Advertisement

Depp wrote: »
    really hope this isnt true, not a fear of me getting eir any time soon and if its blocked on fightpass/youtube illegal streams be my only option

Likewise, I like to use Fightpass, and the PPV on there, I don't subscribe to BT etc. But at least we will have this option (below) for UFC202 for a reliable stream. The only downfall is that you have to give one months notice to cancel.

https://www.setantago.com/subscribe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement