Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Since a good few from the forum seem to going should a separate thread be started for the event for arranging meet ups etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Has been set up already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

maximoose wrote: »
    Has been set up already :)

Deadly :) Didn't see it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Just seen this pic on reddit. Apparently from now on you won't be able to buyou PPV's from the ROI from UFC.TV they'll only be available on BT sports.

www.imgur.com/7zul5Lc

Have to say I'm very disappointed as I always found it handy getting a group of lads round and splitting the cost for a night of fights. I doubt so buying on YouTube will be an option for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Just seen this pic on reddit. Apparently from now on you won't be able to buyou PPV's from the ROI from UFC.TV they'll only be available on BT sports.

www.imgur.com/7zul5Lc

Have to say I'm very disappointed as I always found it handy getting a group of lads round and splitting the cost for a night of fights. I doubt so buying on YouTube will be an option for us?
    That's standard everywhere that there's a broadcast deal. Makes nosense for a tv station to fork out massive money to broadcast it and not get exclusivity. I'd assume it's been blanked out in the UK from the start.
    Surprised it took BT so long to realise Itekabd was a significant market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Mellor wrote: »
    That's standard everywhere that there's a broadcast deal. Makes nosense for a tv station to fork out massive money to broadcast it and not get exclusivity. I'd assume it's been blanked out in the UK from the start.

Was good while it lasted that's fightpass dropped anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Doubt it was just BT, I'd say Eir had something to do with them wanting exclusive rights. Wonder what the PPV buys were like for Ireland?

LaGlisse wrote: »
    Was good while it lasted that's fightpass dropped anyway.

FYI people who still want to watch it on Fightpass can purchase the PPV's using a VPN, Hong Kong would be the cheapest. I've seen plenty of people doing it on reddit with success.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Lukker- wrote: »
    Doubt it was just BT, I'd say Eir had something to do with them wanting exclusive rights. Wonder what the PPV buys were like for Ireland?

I'd say they were Decent for the McGregor fights, I bought most of them with the lads and I know a fair few that would have bought them also for his fights, Eir will see a big rise in setanta go subs now id reckon.

ASOT wrote: »
    I'd say they were Decent for the McGregor fights, I bought most of them with the lads and I know a fair few that would have bought them also for his fights, Eir will see a big rise in setanta go subs now id reckon.

To get a setanta go subscription you need to be subscribed to the setanta sky sports package with sky and own a sky box. They are alienating a good portion of potential customer base I reckon, especially the crowd that would have always bought the PPV's directly online or those with Virgin subscriptions.

• Advertisement

To get a setanta go subscription you need to be subscribed to the setanta sky sports package with sky and own a sky box. They are alienating a good portion of potential customer base I reckon, especially the crowd that would have always bought the PPV's directly online or those with Virgin subscriptions.

There 100% was a fourth option to sign up when I was looking at it previously a week or so ago they must have changed it!! Yeah exactly, it's a bit mad what there doing.

Looks like ill be watching every UFC event using ace stream if they dont give me a way to purchase it. I mean I was happy to pay for a solid/reliable stream from them but ace streams are just as good so I don't really mind to much.

Sometimes you even get a better experience with them. For UFC 199, the Brock promo didn't air on BT, they just cut to an ad break. So people who streamed it actually got to see the UFC 200 hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

That's so annoying, why take away an option for people to pay for content? Will only drive people back to the streams. Particularly stupid bearing in mind loads of people have no way of subscribing even if they wanted to.

hots wrote: »
    That's so annoying, why take away an option for people to pay for content?

They haven't as far as I can tell. It's only the "free" cards that are effected

Edit: scratch that. PPVs are apparently gone from UFC.tv too

They have for the McGregor event, hopefully it doesn't carry on over though.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Edit: scratch that. PPVs are apparently gone from UFC.tv too

My reading of the email is we can't buy ppvs either. Relevant para below

UFC Main Cards — available on UFC FIGHT PASS just 48 hours after the event
    The main cards of every UFC event — including the August 20 main event between Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor — will now be available, on-demand, just two days after the show takes place.

All UFC main cards are live on BT Sport and are no longer available for Pay-Per-View purchase on UFC.TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

So fight night main cards gone, plus no legal way to buy ppvs online? (outside of vpn)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Well there goes my fightpass sub. I only kept it for the fightnight and UFC on Fox cards, no need for it anymore.

Well there goes my fightpass sub. I only kept it for the fightnight and UFC on Fox cards, no need for it anymore.

Thankfully I havnt paid for it in a few months and have two months left of one month sub codes so I'm happy, looks like getting bt will be the only option.

ASOT wrote: »
    They have for the McGregor event, hopefully it doesn't carry on over though.

I think it has, just seen another statement online that says no longer availible from UFC.tv
    Sorry for the false hope.
    Joke system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'm gutted over the Fight Pass decision.

We don't even get the Fight Night main cards live on Fight Pass now. :(

I said on here ages ago that with all the changes they would end up ramping up the price, but no way did I think they would go this far. I'm certainly no revenue generating expert, but how on earth do they expect Fight Pass to grow from this decision? Or is this just for Irish fans? I prefer to watch on Fight Pass and would always purchase PPV's for events that I really want to see, but I have no qualms about streaming and that's exactly what I'll be doing from now on.

Subscription cancelled and I hope the vast majority will be the same.

Sometimes you even get a better experience with them. For UFC 199, the Brock promo didn't air on BT, they just cut to an ad break. So people who streamed it actually got to see the UFC 200 hype.

I paid for UFC 200 on UFC.TV and now they are forcing me to get an illegal stream because i am not subscribing to EIR

Eir must be paying a pretty penny for exclusive rights considering the amount they are probably losing on Irish Fightpass and UFC.tv subscribers they are going to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

I signed up for 12 months of fightpass two months ago I take it have no comeback for a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Just cancelled my subscription. I have no intention of singing up with Sky or another provider just to get BT so I have no option now except to stream or go to the pub. F**k that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Has anyone tried setantago ?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

Just cancelled my sub. Very annoyed as I do enjoy watching the whole card on fight pass for the Fox events/FNs. It was very handy on the app on the samsung tv. Sent a snotty email back to them too not that it will matter much.

It seems a bonkers move given that they are trying to up the fight pass subscription numbers. They must have been paid a pretty penny to screw over ROI fans like this.

I am sure that like others I will find other ways to watch the fights without subscribing to BT package.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    I signed up for 12 months of fightpass two months ago I take it have no comeback for a refund?

Interested to hear replies to this considering i'm in the same boat. Unfortunately I can't see much hope .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Hoki wrote: »
    Interested to hear replies to this considering i'm in the same boat. Unfortunately I can't see much hope .....

If you complain enough they may give a refund. I'm sure they have in their terms and conditions that conditions are subject to change, but if you kick up enough fuss, they might just find it less hassle and less bad publicity to give you the refund.

I also sent a snotty email when cancelling. Better to let them know exactly the reasons. Unfortunately, losing a few hundred subscribers in the ROI is probably a drop in the ocean for them. I certainly won't be picking up BT or anywhere else to watch the fights. I would have gladly paid for the PPVs as I've done in the past but I'll be finding another way from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Could all this talk about TV subscriptions etc not get its own thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement