Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

moneyman wrote: »
    Her fight on Dublin's Holohan card was the best atmosphere I've seen live for any fight (including Conor vs Brandao). Absolutely incredible, especially the entrance. Ais may not be a contender for the title but she has great heart and determination and her fights are usually entertaining.

I was living abroad for a while when that fight was on and seeing that entrance and all the Irish gave me goosebumps, proud to be Irish. Ais will probably never win the title but whenever she fights ill supporting her.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Pickett's fight has been pulled off Hamburg and placed on 204 now. FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Paully D wrote: »
    Pickett's fight has been pulled off Hamburg and placed on 204 now. FFS.

Original opponent pulled out, replacement needed a full camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

In interesting, GSP has been added to the USADA testing pool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Woodley said GSP text him to say "lets do this".

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭NightmareUFC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Have nightmares about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The amount of dodging going on atm is ridiculous. Eddie dodging Khabib, GSP making his comeback as soon as Robbie lost, TWood not wanting Wonderboy. Bisping dodging weidman and jacare. I get money fights but it's getting a bit out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    The amount of dodging going on atm is ridiculous. Eddie dodging Khabib, GSP making his comeback as soon as Robbie lost, TWood not wanting Wonderboy. Bisping dodging weidman and jacare. I get money fights but it's getting a bit out of hand.

And it will only get worse if the Ali Act gets extended to MMA!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

I don't think GSP was ducking Robbie to be fair, he was always going to come back around this time whether Robbie won or lost, and you can't blame Eddie for wanting McGregor either, lifechanging amount of money for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Totally agree, I hate the way things have gone.

Having said that, GSP is the one guy who fully deserves to walk into a title shot no questions asked. Technically he never lost that belt (even though Hendricks more than likely beat him, not quite robbed but he was slightly hard done by), and it's the way things go for the big stars. You're right about him dodging Robbie though, that was a dangerous fight for him to take and he knew it, Robbie doesn't fight like anyone else in that division, always goes in as if he has nothing to lose. I could see him beating Georges 5 or 6 times out of 10.

I'm an awful hypocrite though, because at the same time I cannot wait to see to see Bisping vs Hendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

GSP returning had nothing to do with dodging Woodley. Couldn't agree terms over money/retaining his own sponsors.

Made easier now that the Feritta's are out of the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Beersmith

martyos121 wrote: »
    Totally agree, I hate the way things have gone.

Having said that, GSP is the one guy who fully deserves to walk into a title shot no questions asked. Technically he never lost that belt (even though Hendricks more than likely beat him, not quite robbed but he was slightly hard done by), and it's the way things go for the big stars. You're right about him dodging Robbie though, that was a dangerous fight for him to take and he knew it, Robbie doesn't fight like anyone else in that division, always goes in as if he has nothing to lose. I could see him beating Georges 5 or 6 times out of 10.

I'm an awful hypocrite though, because at the same time I cannot wait to see to see Bisping vs Hendo.

Well fans are interested in that. No one wants to see woodley though.

I like the bisping hendo fight plus it's a bonus watching weidman throw hissy fits about it. Before the woodley fight i would have said robbie would be the most dangerous fight for gsp. Woodley is far more beatable than robbie but who knows what way george will be in his return. I have no problem with him getting an instant title shot either but woodley and eddie shouldn't be calling any shots. They're not on the mcgregor.inc level.

Beersmith wrote: »
    Well fans are interested in that. No one wants to see woodley though.

Yeah I don't like Woodley one bit tbh and I was one of the people saying he never deserved his shot in the first place, but I came to accept it and fair play to him for taking advantage. I'm only interested in seeing GSP back again and I couldn't care less who he's fighting. GSP was and always will be my favourite fighter of all time, regardless of how his style gradually changed since his loss to Serra. Can't wait to see him back in the octagon whenever it does happen.

GSP saying he'd beat Nick way worse if they fought again. I'd actually like to see that before a woodley fight. George would take it again but would still be great to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

darced wrote:

Are you kidding
    Robbie had some great TD defence
    He nullified Hendricks the second time pretty much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

darced wrote: »

It all really depends on what sort of condition GSP comes back in. If GSP returned as he looked before he'd 50-45 Robbie or possibly get a late GNP finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

brinty wrote: »
    Are you kidding
    Robbie had some great TD defence
    He nullified Hendricks the second time pretty much

He took Robbie down in rounds 4 and 5. GSP wouldn't have lost those rounds if he took him down (Hendricks lost both of those rounds).
    GSP in that spot dominates Robbie imo
    darced wrote: »

^ This
    He won all those fights imo. But none of them convincingly. Rory was winning. He scraped by each of them. GSP doesn't give up the same coin flip rounds that Condit, Hendricks, etc did.

So it's pretty safe to say Cyborg will never ever make 135 based on this, in case it needed confirming:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/8/10/12431844/cris-cyborg-shown-crying-during-brutal-weight-cut-before-ufc-debut

So it's pretty safe to say Cyborg will never ever make 135 based on this, in case it needed confirming:
    It's not remotely impossible imo. A male 145 could make 135 if they had to, no problem.

Making 135 would not be hard for her. She just needs to lose some mass. The only reason it's currently hard, is that she doesn't want to lose that mass.

Mellor wrote: »
    It's not remotely impossible imo. A male 145 could make 135 if they had to, no problem.

Making 135 would not be hard for her. She just needs to lose some mass. The only reason it's currently hard, is that she doesn't want to lose that mass.

Would she have the same kind of power if she lost some of that mass though? Dont train MMA myself so I don't know what kind of effect going down to 135 would have on her as a fighter.

Would she have the same kind of power if she lost some of that mass though? Dont train MMA myself so I don't know what kind of effect going down to 135 would have on her as a fighter.

She'd definitely lose power. It's unavoidable, on a basic level mass = strength/power. If she's serious about a move to 135, she has to sacrifice something. She can't be the same fighter at 145 and 135. That's why we have weight divisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Fighters association announced, Zuffa ye smart baxtards

https://twitter.com/FightersAssoc/status/763735459306496000/photo/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

dashoonage wrote: »
    Fighters association announced, Zuffa ye smart baxtards

https://twitter.com/FightersAssoc/status/763735459306496000/photo/1

Zuffa? As in the same Zuffa that agreed to sell the company approx 1 month ago? :confused:

I'm all for fighters getting paid more than someone sitting in an office in front of a screen but any increased fighter pay will be offset against us fans. We can look forward to even higher ticket prices, fight pass/club memberships, merchandise, PPV costs in states(& probably here in future), etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

As in they were smart for selling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

It's a bit early to be celebrating just yet.

It remains to be seen whether this organisation will have any clout or influence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement